I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View Naturelady's Feedback (+653)
    All-About Naturelady
    View Naturelady's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: I'm seeing a lot of counterfeit purses

And I'm seeing visit the state of Texas. It may be hard to police a site but I do think it is necessary. Whether by administration or sellers or buyers. It will probably take all three. I do know apathy is not the answer. Just because it isn't your store or your product does not mean it doesn't concern you as a seller. It does affect the legitimacy of the whole site...I would hate to see those of us who have worked so hard to make ebid grow and work lose our credibility because of a few cheats...

Forum Newbie
    All-About shinyshiny
    View shinyshiny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    That's a lot easier to say than to do, unfortunately. Do you have a foolproof way of determining fakes? One that's guaranteed not to impact on innocent sellers listing legitimate goods? That is manageable by a small site? I don't think it's that simple, I'm afraid. I do think it's a problem that needs addressing, but any pretence that there's a simple answer (for example, just believe every report of a fake, malicious or not) is over optimistic in my view.
    Very little in life is 100% foolproof.

Not simply ignoring all reports of fakes would be a step in the right direction. It appears in my opinion that nothing is being done at all.

I've reported lots of very obvious fakes in the past week and have not seen any of them taken down. None. Very extremely obvious fakes.
    So obvious that even the men recognize them (No offense to you guys, but you're not the target demographic for handbags), like those fake Gucci bags Dzambo posted a link to earlier in the thread. They're still up for sale.

It doesn't have to be manageable by the site. It can be manageable by the copyright holders. Get a program in place similar to ebay's VeRO and let the copyright holders take care of it themselves. Surely the site administrators can handle that, and it may also relieve them of the burden of responsibility a bit.

Yes, it's true that even VeRO can be abused by copyright holders, but if their lawyers file false takedown notices, they are also liable for perjury. They may not want their items sold on the secondary market, but currently it is legal to do so. Counterfeits are illegal, and copyright holders have a legal right and a vested interest to take down infringing items.

Besides that, this site might not be small for very much longer. It appears to be in the running to take the place of fleabay.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinyshiny View Post
    Very little in life is 100% foolproof.
    I don't believe I demanded foolproof. I'd just like something that is strongly biased in favour of honesty and accuracy. And I'm sorry, but just taking somebody's word for it isn't good enough.

Not simply ignoring all reports of fakes would be a step in the right direction. It appears in my opinion that nothing is being done at all.
    We have no idea how much activity has been going on in the background. Hours of discussion could be hidden away. Or equally not, I grant you. But I do hate it when people use words like "ignore" when the reality is we have nothing on which to make that assumption.

I've reported lots of very obvious fakes in the past week and have not seen any of them taken down. None. Very extremely obvious fakes.
    So obvious that even the men recognize them (No offense to you guys, but you're not the target demographic for handbags), like those fake Gucci bags Dzambo posted a link to earlier in the thread. They're still up for sale.
    I'm not a guy, but I'm not going to look and prove myself even less knowledgeable about handbags than a stereotypical male. My average buying is one handbag every 25 years.

It doesn't have to be manageable by the site.
    Of course it does. They have to develop the system, and keep it working. Whatever it is. Code doesn't write itself. Checks don't make themselves. Anything that is done in this area will put a burden on the site management. Anything.

It can be manageable by the copyright holders.
    No, it can't. Once developed and managed it can be *used* by them, if it is so structured. That's not the same thing.

Get a program in place similar to ebay's VeRO and let the copyright holders take care of it themselves. Surely the site administrators can handle that, and it may also relieve them of the burden of responsibility a bit.
    I don't think you appreciate the burden of work you're referring to so casually. It is already apparent that the site is under-manned in several areas - there's a lot of checking and policing that it would be nice to have, but there does not appear to be the manpower to cover it... putting in place a comprehensive anti-fake system would be a shed-load of work, both in development and on a day-to-day implementation, in my view.

Yes, it's true that even VeRO can be abused by copyright holders, but if their lawyers file false takedown notices, they are also liable for perjury. They may not want their items sold on the secondary market, but currently it is legal to do so. Counterfeits are illegal, and copyright holders have a legal right and a vested interest to take down infringing items.

Besides that, this site might not be small for very much longer. It appears to be in the running to take the place of fleabay.
    Maybe. One day. But not if it goes bust first. Small site, small fees, realistic ambitions.

Forum Newbie
    All-About shinyshiny
    Forum Posts

I don't believe I demanded foolproof. I'd just like something that is strongly biased in favour of honesty and accuracy. And I'm sorry, but just taking somebody's word for it isn't good enough.

We have no idea how much activity has been going on in the background. Hours of discussion could be hidden away. Or equally not, I grant you. But I do hate it when people use words like "ignore" when the reality is we have nothing on which to make that assumption.

I'm not a guy, but I'm not going to look and prove myself even less knowledgeable about handbags than a stereotypical male. My average buying is one handbag every 25 years.

Of course it does. They have to develop the system, and keep it working. Whatever it is. Code doesn't write itself. Checks don't make themselves. Anything that is done in this area will put a burden on the site management. Anything.

No, it can't. Once developed and managed it can be *used* by them, if it is so structured. That's not the same thing.

I don't think you appreciate the burden of work you're referring to so casually. It is already apparent that the site is under-manned in several areas - there's a lot of checking and policing that it would be nice to have, but there does not appear to be the manpower to cover it... putting in place a comprehensive anti-fake system would be a shed-load of work, both in development and on a day-to-day implementation, in my view.

Maybe. One day. But not if it goes bust first. Small site, small fees, realistic ambitions.

Sorry if you hate my words, but then again, my opinion, my words.

If ridding the site of fakes is too much work for the site administrators to implement or even attempt, even with the assistance of user reporting, then that's something that will probably determine the success or failure of ebid in the longterm.

The "burden of work" I am referring to has been implemented by other sites with varying degrees of success, so if ebid wants to be a true competitor it can't be ignored.

If ebid is truly already under-manned when trying to grow, that may not bode well for it's future.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinyshiny View Post
    Sorry if you hate my words, but then again, my opinion, my words.
    Ouch. That's a bit of a twist. I've been largely agreeing with the concept, but trying to point some realities of the problem, but I feel this is getting a little personal and pointless now. Goodnight.

Forum Newbie
    All-About shinyshiny
    Forum Posts

Ouch. That's a bit of a twist. I've been largely agreeing with the concept, but trying to point some realities of the problem, but I feel this is getting a little personal and pointless now. Goodnight.
    You said that you "hate" when people use words like "ignore", when I clearly stated that it was my opinion. It's still my opinion, and it's nothing against you personally.

Just explaining that I write in my own words to state my own opinions and perceptions, just like anybody else does. If you choose to take it personally, its your choice. But it wasn't my intent.

As for the comparisons with ebay, that's not me...that's ebid...up at the top left.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naturelady View Post
    And I'm seeing visit the state of Texas. It may be hard to police a site but I do think it is necessary. Whether by administration or sellers or buyers. It will probably take all three. I do know apathy is not the answer. Just because it isn't your store or your product does not mean it doesn't concern you as a seller. It does affect the legitimacy of the whole site...I would hate to see those of us who have worked so hard to make ebid grow and work lose our credibility because of a few cheats...
    Yes, it will take all 3, and the impacted designers and corporations. Not an easy task, but definitely worth effort on everyone's part.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have taken the trouble to find out something about the way these luxury brands do business. I have repeatedly explained when reporting that any item listed as "new" from Louis Vuitton is misdescribed. They do not wholesale. Any item which is thus described is either properly "unused" or "fake". I have passed on the links to LV's website to indicate that I have not just made this up.

If sellers who list LV items as new were asked to edit them to unused it would help. Similarly, they are made in Europe so any item located in China is almost certainly a fake.

The price is also a strong indicator.. not to mention items that LV just don't make! All checkable on their own website.
    Last edited by madelaine; 9th April 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cool Re: I'm seeing a lot of counterfeit purses

I really don't know this stuff even exist that much in U.K. too........

http://www.berwick-advertiser.co.uk/...raid_1_1586020

Thread Information