Thread: Ebid and advertising.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ebid and advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by InnoIn View Post
    What is cheap rubbish? This is not electronics from the far east...it's a membership. There are 81000 members on that forum and if 1 quarter sign up it would be worth it. What harm could £500,000 revenue do to this site and an increase in products listed?
    I'm not saying anything is cheap rubbish (as you can clearly see from my post), I'm saying that if you put any price too low that's the assessment people can make. Which is why it's sometimes better to put a price up rather than down (and no, I'm not saying that should happen here, it's just an example). Everything has a perceived value, whether it's a piece of electronic kit, or a membership of a site. If you offer something at a price wildly different from expectations, people become mistrustful. When goods are offered too cheaply here the cry of "if it looks too good to be true it's probably dodgy" goes up. However, it's just a point of view, and I'm not the one making the decision, I'm just saying.

Lowering the cost of membership, in my opinion, could possibly be construed as a desperate measure.
    (just going by previous times, whenever the bay put out any sort of offers, then many on here immediately assume it is quite obviously an act of desperation.

Lowering the cost could also bring in many dump and run sellers - they could fill up the run till sold with thousands of items, never to be seen again.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think £50 LIFETIME membership with no listing fees plus the option of having five free stores and 2% FVF's is a BRILLIANT deal as it is. My first three sales covered the cost. The membership cost is ALREADY on offer - what would be next if the membership went to quarter of the price? FREE membership? People are just never happy with what they've got!
    Nancy
    Ceud mìle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

I whole heartedly agree.
    Its about a year ago now that I brought this subject up with eBid but unfortunatley I didnt get a reply, some sugested that it was to expensive and advertising didnt work- there you go, I didnt find out which planet this person replyed from obviousley they had no retailing experiance.,
    Why give someone Thousands of pounds/dollars for being the 4 millon'th listed item on eBid, it would have been far more sensible to use this money on an advert on the TV a split second showing the eBid Logo and bingo New buyers.
    Seller's aint no good if you aint got buyers so why promote a seller ,Seems the wrong way round to me.
    You cant go on trying to advertise a company on the cheap it takes to long and if it takes to long you loose sellers.
    Ebay are fleecing the sellers with their Fees these eBAY sellers want another Site Ebid is there for the picking BUT EBID appear TO DO NOTHING. so come on good old ebid grab someone by the scruff of neck and lets get moving.
    Ps I'm writting this because I feel that eBid has got something as a site, but As this Thread said " ebid please Sellers need help " Promote for more buyers........... sellers will arrive natrually.
    If I had a pen my ink would have run out.
    All the best to you all.
    Colin dingledell2books

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

I must agree with Kim here , her post was miss read....and I would suggest things are ok here with regards to the lifetime price...but like everything else....some will like it , some will not....no is forced one way or the other................ papa.

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think £50 is a bit high for something with no guarantees.
    There are too many people who've paid and have then had little or no sales.Most things you buy you get the chance of a refund if it doesn't work but not here.
    Thats not really a problem for those prepared to give it a real good go and stick at it but for those who think they can list and get sales all on the same day it will be something else to shout about when they don't.
    People have to remember the fee is a one off and be prepared for the long term investment rather than the instant gain.
    Last edited by baconsdozen; 30th March 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Forum Newbie
    View InnoIn's Feedback (+4462)
    All-About InnoIn
    View InnoIn's Listings
    Forum Posts

Let's get 1 thing straight, I did not misinterpret what she said. I agree with her in regards to pricing and product value but it does not apply here, in my opinion. This is an auction site, not a social/sports club where the type of membership you have entitles you to usage of better facilities. This is a retail platform and this platform needs sellers who sell what people what.

£50 is £50 and I would think twice before I pay £50 for a membership to a site that does not generate enough traffic. £25 I can part with, it is the price you would pay for a night out at the movies or dinner with the family. So you drop the price for a few months, that is not going to harm the site. From what I can see this site has some stiff competition on the way. People can sell on Facebook, over half a billion users! Play.com allows people to sell their stuff, Tesco is going to follow soon. Even Asos is letting people sell their goods on their site. I would sell on Asos because they get so much traffic!

If you don't have traffic you will not attract sellers because it will not be worth their time. How much more could it possibly cost to maintain the accounts of 20000 more sellers?

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    Thats not really a problem for those prepared to give it a real good go and stick at it but for those who think they can list and get sales all on the same day it will be something else to shout about when they don't.....
    You appear to be agreeing that it will encourage membership by half-hearted users who will not do the necessary work, and will therefore fail. That they will wander off leaving dead listings cluttering the place up and further upsetting potential buyers can then be assumed. You have to make something have a significant value for people to value it.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sellers can already try eBid out, listing as many items as they want, for no cost. The only way to make that any cheaper would be for eBid to pay them to list.

I'm afraid those offering up the Seller+ Lifetime fee as a reason not to try eBid out are either ill informed or attempting to mislead others.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    I think £50 is a bit high for something with no guarantees. .
    Then don't pay it (yes, I know it doesn't apply in your case, but you take my point). There is absolutely no need to take up a lifetime offer, which is just that *an offer*.

Thread Information