eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gazza is my buddy point link working please ?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Gazza is my buddy point link working please ?

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    I think it's relevant in the sense that different groups are earning points via different methods. Some people are earning points via a few, presumably easily checked, external links that are directing people to ebid. Others, like myself, are/were getting what you might call 'point of sale' buddy points i.e. thousands of links on thousands of auction pages. The feeling is that many of these links, on site, are now not working and that it's contributing to quite an inbalance between the two methods.
    I don't see how the technology could support one URL working differently because it's clicked in different places. Nothing's impossible, but I can't get my head round that one. How do you suggest it could work? I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    It doesn't matter where the link is.
    Ah but it does ! If I sent out my link to someone copied straight from my buddy points page then I would get a point because that link is working. All the links on my listings have reverted back to how they were a few months ago and don't seem to be working anymore.

The example is shown here by Gazza when he was answering Madelaine some months ago.

The official link changed a couple of years ago but all old links will still work.

The problem with yours Madelaine is that it was

Code:
    http://uk.four.ebid.net/perl/normal....=register-main
    when it should be

Code:
    or if you want an updated version of

Code:
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?r...=register-main
    This was explained in the ticket you opened. Hope this clears up the confusion.

When the link is clicked a cookie is set on the computer of the user and they are redirected to the registration page.

Gazza

My code has somehow gone back to the 'was' version again without me doing anything to it !
    Booger I wish the forum wouldn't shorten the link ! The difference seems to be &mo= instead of &mo=
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 13th April 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Ah but it does ! If I sent out my link to someone copied straight from my buddy points page then I would get a point because that link is working. All the links on my listings have reverted back to how they were a few months ago and don't seem to be working anymore.

The example is shown here by Gazza when he was answering Madelaine some months ago.

The official link changed a couple of years ago but all old links will still work.

The problem with yours Madelaine is that it was

Code:
    when it should be

Code:
    or if you want an updated version of

Code:
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?r...=register-main
    This was explained in the ticket you opened. Hope this clears up the confusion.

When the link is clicked a cookie is set on the computer of the user and they are redirected to the registration page.

Gazza

My code has somehow gone back to the 'was' version again without me doing anything to it !
    Booger I wish the forum wouldn't shorten the link ! The difference seems to be &mo= instead of &mo=
    & is the correct way to show an ampersand in xhtml, I'd imagine the editor is adding amp; to it automatically, when you list your item.

Using the ampersand on its own in links will cause web pages to fail xhtml validation.

It should be possible for Gazza to set it up for both sets of link to work, OR, to change the links to the correct form for xhtml validation, so that the site editor doesn't need to alter it
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I don't see how the technology could support one URL working differently because it's clicked in different places. Nothing's impossible, but I can't get my head round that one. How do you suggest it could work? I can't see it.
    I'm just observing the phenomenon, I don't have any theory!

I get buddy points for "a buddy of yours joined ebid" regularly.
    Oh OK Kim - then your link is working, proof is needed to convince others that their links are working.

Jimbo, as has been said, gets hundreds of points that can only be from buddy link joins. If you don't accept this evidence, I don't quite know what "proof" would be acceptable?
    A few stats would be acceptable - I think we would all like to see how you guys are managing to accrue buddy ponts when we aren't.
    No malice intended, just curious as to where we are all going wrong with our join up links - wrong server, wrong link ... what?
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical_Trish View Post
    Oh OK Kim - then your link is working, proof is needed to convince others that their links are working.

A few stats would be acceptable - I think we would all like to see how you guys are managing to accrue buddy ponts when we aren't.
    No malice intended, just curious as to where we are all going wrong with our join up links - wrong server, wrong link ... what?
    Well, that's where it gets tricky, isn't it? Because they can't show you somebody else's stats (beyond the totals already on the front page and each About Me), since my stats (for example) are nobody's business but mine and ebid's. So what would they show you? I just think the issue of "proof" is a tough one, and I can't quite see how it would be achieved. Please realise, I'm not saying that people aren't having a real problem, just that "show us proof" doesn't look viable to me.

This is what I'd do if I thought my link was broken: find a friend who has yet to join. Ask them to "buy" an item from me, and join via my buddy link, and ask them to do all this with me watching over their shoulder. I'd take detailed notes of each step they took, then see what happened. If the points I was due failed to appear, I'd report the whole thing with all IDs to support, and challenge them to investigate it and report back. If it *did* work, then I'd know I'd just been unlucky with people choosing to use other routes to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    & is the correct way to show an ampersand in xhtml, I'd imagine the editor is adding amp; to it automatically, when you list your item.

Using the ampersand on its own in links will cause web pages to fail xhtml validation.

It should be possible for Gazza to set it up for both sets of link to work, OR, to change the links to the correct form for xhtml validation, so that the site editor doesn't need to alter it
    Oh dear,
    Now I am completely lost.
    I really do not understand where I an going wrong - I obviously need to alter my buddy link, HELLPPP!!!
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

It should be possible for Gazza to set it up for both sets of link to work, OR, to change the links to the correct form for xhtml validation, so that the site editor doesn't need to alter it.
    Thank you so much Gothicina at least that explains why it's reverted back again. So just to get it through my tired brian cell, in layman's terms, does this mean that the site editor is mucking up my link by making this change so I don't get my points ?!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Thank you so much Gothicina at least that explains why it's reverted back again. So just to get it through my tired brian cell, in layman's terms, does this mean that the site editor is mucking up my link by making this change so I don't get my points ?!
    As far as I can see the amp version of the link still works perfectly. I clicked on yours and it set my buddy ref cookie to your ID as you would wish. I think Astral's already done this test last time this came up, hasn't he? Goth hasn't said the link won't *work*, just that xhtml validation may suffer - that's not relevant to whether or not you get your points. As long as the cookie is set you should get buddy points. I really think a proper, controlled test as I described above would be massively helpful. Somebody must have a friend left they haven't already dragged on-board!

As far as I can see the amp version of the link still works perfectly. I clicked on yours and it set my buddy ref cookie to your ID as you would wish. I think Astral's already done this test last time this came up, hasn't he? Goth hasn't said the link won't *work*, just that xhtml validation may suffer - that's not relevant to whether or not you get your points. As long as the cookie is set you should get buddy points. I really think a proper, controlled test as I described above would be massively helpful. Somebody must have a friend left they haven't already dragged on-board!
    Then why did Gazza point it out as being a problem with Madelaine's link in the past if it doesn't make any difference ? I'm afraid I don't understand that Kim ?
    Trish has said that she didn't get her point when her daughter joined via her link and I didn't get my point when a school friend joined the other day so I think the only solution is to hear a reply from Gazza.

Right off to Coventry early in the morning so hope I might have a reply when I get home tomorrow evening !

Thread Information