Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The jump from ebay to ebid

Forum Newbie
    View xenophen's Feedback (+5)
    All-About xenophen
    View xenophen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: The jump from ebay to ebid

I recently jumped from Ebay to Ebid. I did a lot of Ebaying several years ago when their take was around 3%. Now, even when there is free listing, when you are finished with the transaction, the cheapest you come out is at about 13% that they receive. If you have a smaller value item, the percent is more. If you immediately take your money from Paypal that goes up to 16% for the smallest total commission. Next month they begin taking commission out of the shipping as well. I have been on Ebid for the last week, I put six coins on and have one bid and not very many views. I purchased a coin on Wednesday, paid via Paypal and have not heard a word from the seller. I love the lifetime free listings, etc, but if no one really uses the site, I may have to rethink.

Forum Diehard
    View banrigh's Feedback (+2949)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xenophen View Post
    I recently jumped from Ebay to Ebid. I did a lot of Ebaying several years ago when their take was around 3%. Now, even when there is free listing, when you are finished with the transaction, the cheapest you come out is at about 13% that they receive. If you have a smaller value item, the percent is more. If you immediately take your money from Paypal that goes up to 16% for the smallest total commission. Next month they begin taking commission out of the shipping as well. I have been on Ebid for the last week, I put six coins on and have one bid and not very many views. I purchased a coin on Wednesday, paid via Paypal and have not heard a word from the seller. I love the lifetime free listings, etc, but if no one really uses the site, I may have to rethink.
    Many do use this site, but I find the buyers pickier. You have only been here one week so give it a bit more time. You have no picture on your about me page nor any information. Buyers want to know who they are buying from, especially if you have 0 feedback. Feedback can be imported through Repatoo.com or if you do not want to import feedback, Repatoo has a link you can put on your About Me page. I know there are no FVF (final value fees) if you do not have a thumbnail/gallery picture, but buyers do prefer pictures and the FVF is ony 2%.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I was not into online selling in those days, and of course I'm out here in the colonies so not up with everything.

But I do know that ebay featured in lots of US comedy shows - Eg "I bought that on ebay"
    Also I have seen some of the tv ads they ran (they are all on Youtube), and much as I hate to say it, they are quite good eg ads to the music of
    Frank Sinatra - I did it e-bay.
    George Benson - On ebay.
    Dean Martin - Its on ebay.

I wonder if ebay raised a lot of capital at the start which is now their main problem. (having to keep shareholders happy every quarter)
    Ebid have remained under the same two guys since they started.
    I truly hate beating a dead horse but this is exactly how ebay got to be huge and the premeier site. Heres the problem folks. Ebay has $$$ if they feel they are slipping in the Marketplace they will launch another ad campaign and buyers will flock to the site and of course sellers will follow. After all they are sellers and they go where the action is.
    This is perfect timing for eBid, disgruntled sellers, fees rising again and lots of ebay sellers jumping ship and coming right over to eBid. If Ebid wants to overtake ebay in popularity, listings, sellers, buyers and sales now is the time to do something about it. I am desperately hoping the boys will jump on this bandwagon and take advantage of it. As DZAMBO says...Amen!

Forum Newbie
    View ManofPeace's Feedback (+14)
    All-About ManofPeace
    View ManofPeace's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think, when G&M started out, eBid was to be the UK eBay. Unfortunately, before eBid could launch eBay launched in the UK. eBay being already a 'name' and getting masses of free advertising from the media and internet, eBid was left standing and never really had a hope of taking them on. A two man organisation against a mega-business. eBid seems to have settled on slow and steady growth - keeping within their budget. There must have been some sense in that as they are still here when other startups have gone to the wall. I think it is the better site for sellers (and buyers) but, sadly, eBay's grip on the market does not seem to diminish - despite their own best efforts to alienate their customers. I think a lot of eBay sellers must have masochistic tendencies to put up with the treatment dished out to them. That or simple inertia stops them making the break.

One of the real stumbling blocks to eBid really taking off is the difference in traffic between the two sites. It is a chicken/egg situation. To get the buyers you need the sellers offering the range of goods to attract them. Most sellers are not willing to wait for the site to build though. When they don't immediately get the sell through rate they are used to on the higher traffic site they go back to take the abuse again. If sellers want a real alternative to eBay then they have to play their part in helping build it. eBid could advertise non-stop, but if the buyers can't find the goods they want being offered by sellers when they get here then no amount of advertising would make any difference.
    Ah. That's pretty interesting. I suppose that free advertising by the internet/media gave ebay the boost they needed to bypass a deficit of buyer and/or seller. And then from there they went public to raise capital and just steam rolled it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophen View Post
    The sellers jumping from Ebay need to be patient. (not meant to sound condescending but couldn't phrase it better) We're essentially trying to divert the market else where when a single corporation has a grasp on most of it and that doesn't happen in a couple of days. Ebay only made their announcement on the 15th and those updates don't even go into effect until late April. At the moment --for the most part--, only the sellers are looking for alternatives because they know when the time comes, they'll have to increase shipping (to cover the FVF double dip), possibly have lower sells and might even lose their top sellers status because of a single negative feedback (likely regarding shipping price).
    However, the issue is currently the buyers. They currently have no reason to switch. They can get cashback and have a large amout of control over sellers. Ebay updates rarely impact the buyers negatively (when ebay raises the fee cap from $50 to $100, what do the buyers care?)
    The buyers won't feel the ramifications until that April update. They need to see those increasingly shipping prices and less products on ebay before they move.

It's going to take time.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManofPeace View Post
    However, the issue is currently the buyers. They currently have no reason to switch. They can get cashback and have a large amout of control over sellers. Ebay updates rarely impact the buyers negatively (when ebay raises the fee cap from $50 to $100, what do the buyers care?)
    The buyers won't feel the ramifications until that April update. They need to see those increasingly shipping prices and less products on ebay before they move.
    It's going to take time.
    Well said.
    Its easy to get sellers.
    But as you say its the buyers we need.
    And as you say Buyers have no reason to leave ebay, and there is no incnetive to join ebid and buy from another site.
    Unless it got out there that ebid has a better selection and better prices.
    But too many sellers price their items dearer on ebid than ebay and that won't help.
    As you say, this latest fvf on shipping may help sellers prices things lower on ebid. (for heaveier stuff anyway)

How do I import my feedback from ebay? someone said Repatoo.com, but I went there and got no clue on how to use it. I'm not willing to buy cheap staff just to bump it, I prefer to import my other feedback or just let them know that I got the same user name here and there, so it might help.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Glopezwach

I'm sorry I don't know how to do it.
    I wanted to keep my feedback all ebid.
    I ran a few low cost specials to get some sales on the board

But could I suggest that you start a new thread with How to Import Feedback as the title and I am sure you will get lots of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Well said.
    Its easy to get sellers.
    But as you say its the buyers we need.
    And as you say Buyers have no reason to leave ebay, and there is no incnetive to join ebid and buy from another site.
    Unless it got out there that ebid has a better selection and better prices.
    But too many sellers price their items dearer on ebid than ebay and that won't help.
    As you say, this latest fvf on shipping may help sellers prices things lower on ebid. (for heaveier stuff anyway)
    That is not happening for UK sellers.
    In fact, this may be a good thing for me.
    I am currently talking to a USA dropshipping company - they currently have no UK based sellers - only USA based.
    This could give me a slight advantage.

Edit.......hmmmm come to think of it, this could open up a few opportunities.
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 19th March 2011 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glopezwach View Post
    How do I import my feedback from ebay? someone said Repatoo.com, but I went there and got no clue on how to use it. I'm not willing to buy cheap staff just to bump it, I prefer to import my other feedback or just let them know that I got the same user name here and there, so it might help.
    8) How can I import my Feedback Rating from other sites?

To import Feedback to your eBid account please go to My eBid > My Feedback and select the 'Import FB' tab. Follow the Onscreen instructions to import feedback from Repatoo. Please ensure all accounts at Repatoo are verified and you have also added your eBid account.

Request Submitted. Your request will be reviewed and if all is ok your feedback will be amended within the next few hours.

Don't forget to link your eBid account to Repatoo as well as your other accounts, this proves that you are the correct owner. We won't be able to add any feedback if this isn't carried out.

Got it THANKS!! was easier than I thought just needed the initial instruction!!!!

Thread Information