eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The jump from ebay to ebid

Default Re: The jump from ebay to ebid

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I know there is a lot to do when you join a new site..
    I've been here for over 2 years and learning new things all the time. And there is always a friendly face that pops up to help.

Forum Newbie
    View ManofPeace's Feedback (+14)
    All-About ManofPeace
    View ManofPeace's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm also quite surprised ebid hasn't had much publicity considering how long it has been around. Being located in the UK, I'd thought that ebid would've taken a good chuck of foreign (non-US) sellers/buyers around the late 90s/early 00s but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ebay went public around the same time ebid started and it seems during that time, ebay just took a large percentage of domestic and intentional sellers/buyers.
    Perhaps ebay just had better marketing? Anywho. *searches for an ebay documentary*

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was not into online selling in those days, and of course I'm out here in the colonies so not up with everything.

But I do know that ebay featured in lots of US comedy shows - Eg "I bought that on ebay"
    Also I have seen some of the tv ads they ran (they are all on Youtube), and much as I hate to say it, they are quite good eg ads to the music of
    Frank Sinatra - I did it e-bay.
    George Benson - On ebay.
    Dean Martin - Its on ebay.

I wonder if ebay raised a lot of capital at the start which is now their main problem. (having to keep shareholders happy every quarter)
    Ebid have remained under the same two guys since they started.

Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View ukcoins's Feedback (+6)
    All-About ukcoins
    View ukcoins's Listings
    Forum Posts

HI SWATOP56 im in same situation as you my sales are around 10k a month on bay, i have joined ebid today and and just paid the £50 for life time members ship, from what i can see you cant loose never costs you to list anything 2% max fees if you sell a item they have already got a large customer base its like having your own web site really and you want get one of them at £50, you are bound to get some sales over time and £50 is nothing to be able to advertise your items for life you just cant loose,

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManofPeace View Post
    I'm also quite surprised ebid hasn't had much publicity considering how long it has been around. Being located in the UK, I'd thought that ebid would've taken a good chuck of foreign (non-US) sellers/buyers around the late 90s/early 00s but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ebay went public around the same time ebid started and it seems during that time, ebay just took a large percentage of domestic and intentional sellers/buyers.
    Perhaps ebay just had better marketing? Anywho. *searches for an ebay documentary*
    I think, when G&M started out, eBid was to be the UK eBay. Unfortunately, before eBid could launch eBay launched in the UK. eBay being already a 'name' and getting masses of free advertising from the media and internet, eBid was left standing and never really had a hope of taking them on. A two man organisation against a mega-business. eBid seems to have settled on slow and steady growth - keeping within their budget. There must have been some sense in that as they are still here when other startups have gone to the wall. I think it is the better site for sellers (and buyers) but, sadly, eBay's grip on the market does not seem to diminish - despite their own best efforts to alienate their customers. I think a lot of eBay sellers must have masochistic tendencies to put up with the treatment dished out to them. That or simple inertia stops them making the break.

One of the real stumbling blocks to eBid really taking off is the difference in traffic between the two sites. It is a chicken/egg situation. To get the buyers you need the sellers offering the range of goods to attract them. Most sellers are not willing to wait for the site to build though. When they don't immediately get the sell through rate they are used to on the higher traffic site they go back to take the abuse again. If sellers want a real alternative to eBay then they have to play their part in helping build it. eBid could advertise non-stop, but if the buyers can't find the goods they want being offered by sellers when they get here then no amount of advertising would make any difference.
    Last edited by astral276; 19th March 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Substituted 'inertia' for 'lethargy'.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I think, when G&M started out, eBid was to be the UK eBay. Unfortunately, before eBid could launch eBay launched in the UK. eBay being already a 'name' and getting masses of free advertising from the media and internet, eBid was left standing and never really had a hope of taking them on. A two man organisation against a mega-business. eBid seems to have settled on slow and steady growth - keeping within their budget. There must have been some sense in that as they are still here when other startups have gone to the wall. I think it is the better site for sellers (and buyers) but, sadly, eBay's grip on the market does not seem to diminish - despite their own best efforts to alienate their customers. I think a lot of eBay sellers must have masochistic tendencies to put up with the treatment dished out to them. That or simple lethargy stops them making the break.

One of the real stumbling blocks to eBid really taking off is the difference in traffic between the two sites. It is a chicken/egg situation. To get the buyers you need the sellers offering the range of goods to attract them. Most sellers are not willing to wait for the site to build though. When they don't immediately get the sell through rate they are used to on the higher traffic site they go back to take the abuse again. If sellers want a real alternative to eBay then they have to play their part in helping build it. eBid could advertise non-stop, but if the buyers can't find the goods they want being offered by sellers when they get here then no amount of advertising would make any difference.
    Totally agree!

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Great Post Astral276

We had the exact opposite here in New Zealand.
    A local computer guy Sam Morgan says he had the idea for a place to buy and sell stuff, he got some money from his Dad and set up Tradme.
    It took off quite well and Trademe became a household name.
    Then ebay came to New Zealand but they did not get established as Trademe had the market.
    And they still do.
    Two years ago he sold Trademe to an Australian corporate for $750 million dollars!

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think, when G&M started out, eBid was to be the UK eBay. Unfortunately, before eBid could launch eBay launched in the UK. eBay being already a 'name' and getting masses of free advertising from the media and internet, eBid was left standing and never really had a hope of taking them on. A two man organisation against a mega-business. eBid seems to have settled on slow and steady growth - keeping within their budget. There must have been some sense in that as they are still here when other startups have gone to the wall. I think it is the better site for sellers (and buyers) but, sadly, eBay's grip on the market does not seem to diminish - despite their own best efforts to alienate their customers. I think a lot of eBay sellers must have masochistic tendencies to put up with the treatment dished out to them. That or simple inertia stops them making the break.

Thats pretty much the truth of it.If you are looking for quick results ebid isn't maybe the best place for you but if you are prepared to work at it then it can be.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Dear Newbies, please read this before you do anything else.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Dear Newbies, please read this before you do anything else.
    Insertion in the next newsletter,perhaps?

Thread Information