eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I report a fraud???

Forum Diehard
    View SherMari's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About SherMari
    View SherMari's Listings
    Forum Posts

Never, Never Never click on any links in emails from PayPal, your bank or Ebay. I did click on one link to Ebay and ended up with 10,000 items listed on my site plus about 100 neg. feedback and 100 email wanting to know where their item is always, always, go to the site itself to report problems and send the emails to spoof@paypal.com .

Thanks everyone for your answers. I already report it to Paypal and eBid. As somebody said I feel tempted to play with him. I remember a similar case that I read in another site and the guy after play for awhile sent to the scam a laptop made in cardboard (I followed his blog with pictures and so on.... was hilarious!) but in other hand a shipping to Malaysia cost 35u$ witch makes an expensive joke... (still thinking about it...)

Thanks again!!!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timesland View Post
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I already report it to Paypal and eBid. As somebody said I feel tempted to play with him. I remember a similar case that I read in another site and the guy after play for awhile sent to the scam a laptop made in cardboard (I followed his blog with pictures and so on.... was hilarious!) but in other hand a shipping to Malaysia cost 35u$ witch makes an expensive joke... (still thinking about it...)

Thanks again!!!
    Next time I get one of those scammers I am going to follow through and send a package. In it will be an air horn which will go off when the package is opened and scare the you know what out of him with a note which will read...Next time you might get hurt.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

definitly report to Paypal and ebid.

I had a similar thing recently on the other side with a fraudster who claimed an item was damaged in the post and then to make a claim against the posties, demanded all kinds of my personal ID information that wasnt even relevant. They didnt want a refund from me, and they refused to use the other-sides internal messaging, just used emails instead. They still keep messaging me. I have given up answering them. Seems the fraudies are trying every trick in the book at the moment.

Forum Newbie
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    All-About rjk33
    View rjk33's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How can I report a fraud???

If the email had images loading, then it could easily have code designed to insert a trojan onto the computer. There are all kinds of ways of inserting trojans and the like these days without having to do anything particularly silly. I mean, a few weeks ago people got infected through malware-infested ad banners on mainstream sites like ebay, and they didn't even have to click the ads to have their systems hijacked.

It might be a good idea to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (get it from here), update it first, and run a quick scan. If there is a trojan, there's a good chance that this program will catch it. The scan should only take 5-12minutes. If you have trouble running it (error message, or it just doesn't open), then there's it's likely that there's an active infection preventing it from running.

Secondly, it might be helpful to apply the passive immunisations from Spybot: Search and Destroy (get it here), as they will block connections to known bad sites and also help prevent various methods of browser exploits. Running a scan won't hurt either, but it'll take longer than the Malwarebytes scan.

As for antivirus programs, I wouldn't trust McAfee, as I've never seen a home computer with McAfee that didn't have active infections that the owner had no idea about. Avast free is very recommended (here), and performs the same as the paid version minus a few features. Importantly, it'll scan emails and websites. You can judge for yourself with independent tests done at the av-comparatives site.

In terms of safe programs to use, generally Firefox or Opera are more secure browsers than IE (particularly with Adblock installed). Similarly, there are safer email programs than Outlook to use.

Lastly, I could mention a number of single use scans you could run to eliminate any chance of having gotten something from this email. Just let me know. I'm probably more paranoid than most when it comes to computer security

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

We've just had a virus attempt to hit our computers at home. Got my hubby's last month, and he couldn't even get the OS to work. He didn't have a firewall up at the time. no comment. It was a pop up claiming to be from windows and saying they would run a scan to get rid of critical issues (not thecorrect wording). Looked like it came from windows, but when I got one last night, I knew from his experience not to click ANYWHERE on it...clicking close installs it. Clicking ok installs it. etc. Did a full sys scan....only found 2 cookies. Went to norton live help, they took over, and got rid of the pop up and ran programs to make sure nothing had installed.

If virus-makers put their brain-power to solving problems, they would be rich instead of just annoying.

I didn't know you could get things just by being on a website and not clicking. STD's. huh?? Socially Transmitted Disasters.....??
    Last edited by HerMajesty; 19th March 2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Newbie
    View lusylou08's Feedback (+219)
    All-About lusylou08
    View lusylou08's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like Adrumi's suggestion! Learning a lot here, I'm not sure I would have thought it a scam.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    We've just had a virus attempt to hit our computers at home. Got my hubby's last month, and he couldn't even get the OS to work. He didn't have a firewall up at the time. no comment. It was a pop up claiming to be from windows and saying they would run a scan to get rid of critical issues (not thecorrect wording). Looked like it came from windows, but when I got one last night, I knew from his experience not to click ANYWHERE on it...clicking close installs it. Clicking ok installs it. etc. Did a full sys scan....only found 2 cookies. Went to norton live help, they took over, and got rid of the pop up and ran programs to make sure nothing had installed.

If virus-makers put their brain-power to solving problems, they would be rich instead of just annoying.

I didn't know you could get things just by being on a website and not clicking. STD's. huh?? Socially Transmitted Disasters.....??
    I'm finally back up and running after 10 days of Trojan turmoil. Through many different ways the Trojan worm gets into your system and attaches itself to files causing havock whatever you try to do. This also causes the pop up "scan here your computer is infested with viruses" Naturally it looks real otherwise folks wouldn't click on it. Once you click you just let them in. Although the worm is in the actual virus isn't yet. The worms will shut down your spy/virus ware and make it impossible to run a scan normally. I removed a total of 11 Trojan worms through various scans. Scannining in Safe Mode found some then back to full operating system to pick up more then finally a system restore scan picked up the remaining 3.
    One of the precautions we take on one of our home PC's (advise from my IT guy) is to only run as a user and do not log in as Administrator. This keeps those little &*%**rds out!

Forum Newbie
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    All-About rjk33
    View rjk33's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I knew from his experience not to click ANYWHERE on it...clicking close installs it. Clicking ok installs it. etc. Did a full sys scan....[...]
    Nice work on not clicking on it. Might be worth running a Malwarebytes just to be sure, it's definitely a worthwhile program to have on there when you need it. It saved my computer the only time in the last ten+ years I got anything serious.

You can get infected by worms just by being on a network, no browser loaded. I'm sure virus makers are very rich - with shares in the antivirus companies The 'system tools 2011' trojan/virus has hit a lot of people in the UK, and asks for money to fix imaginary infections (but doesn't fix itself lol). In one forum I'm in, there have been new posts every day for weeks with people getting it... far more asking for help than I've seen in years. It's handy to keep a few free bootable antivirus CDs around in case Windows can't be booted and you can't get online to find out how to remove a particular infection.
    Last edited by rjk33; 19th March 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information