eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Our Alexa rating is rissing steadily !

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Our Alexa rating is rissing steadily !

Yes you are right ‘’All’’….but questions still ‘’if items are in fact selling’’ in this auction site….I mean I can offer International shipping very low in fact not many in whole world Internet can offer that low shipping anywhere in the world…because most of sellers just try to pull out more extra money to cover Pay Pal fees and other stuff…I don’t do that… ...(I mean only for most of sellers who selling very light and not heavy items...)

P.S. I hope you ok ''All'' thanks for your reply...I wish you good day and good luck...and by the way don't eat much if you eat much......

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    Yes you are right ‘’All’’….but questions still ‘’if items are in fact selling’’ in this auction site….I mean I can offer International shipping very low in fact not many in whole world Internet can offer that low shipping anywhere in the world…because most of sellers just try to pull out more extra money to cover Pay Pal fees and other stuff…I don’t do that… ...(I mean only for most of sellers who selling very light and not heavy items...)

P.S. I hope you ok ''All'' thanks for your reply...I wish you good day and good luck...and by the way don't eat much if you eat much......

As long as there are buyers list however you see fit. There is nothing wrong with covering fees either in your asking price or in your shipping cost. Fees are in fact a "real" cost and must be considered.

Memorial Day weekend...I was trying to get the pool opened today but it rained allllllll dayyyyyy longgggg. Throw on some steaks tonight, chicken on the rotiserrie grill tomorrow and my five star Ribs on Mondy, Oh I'm going to eat way too much guarantee and AMEN!

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep you are right ‘’All’ again but I just saying how I think for about this and my way of selling but anybody can charge what ever he like….
    As ‘’usual’’ in Illinois rain….I hope you don’t have ‘’wind’’ hehehe......I’ve been in Chicago before and oh man I don’t like much especially for winter time….is real mess…Nashville is not that big city and we don’t have that big winter and ‘’wind’’ I hate wind huh…but we are lucky wind in here is almost don’t exist…if we have wind is most of time 10 mph…
    Well Memorial Day huh…I work today, tomorrow and Monday too…did I ever stop…?.......

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yep you are right ‘’All’ again but I just saying how I think for about this and my way of selling but anybody can charge what ever he like….
    As ‘’usual’’ in Illinois rain….I hope you don’t have ‘’wind’’ hehehe......I’ve been in Chicago before and oh man I don’t like much especially for winter time….is real mess…Nashville is not that big city and we don’t have that big winter and ‘’wind’’ I hate wind huh…but we are lucky wind in here is almost don’t exist…if we have wind is most of time 10 mph…
    Well Memorial Day huh…I work today, tomorrow and Monday too…did I ever stop…?.......

Been in the Chicago area all my life, hoping to move somewhere in the Ozarks when I retire. I would be happy with a shack next to a river or lake and spend my day's fishing. Until then I'll be right here in Illinois.
    Our busy season is coming up and this will be the last weekend I'll get a chance to get the backyard ready for relaxation. I set it up pretty nice and enjoy the heck out of it. Pool surronded by a huge deck, flower gardens, horseshoe pits, built in coolers and of course some nice BBQ grills. It's kind of my home away from home in the summer.
    We have a huge 4th of July party 150 to 225 people normally with 3 live bands, we just have a good time.

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Only in America........

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cancelcollector View Post
    Rankings are nifty, but tell only part of an overall picture.

The world's second largest online auction site (which many here have probably never heard of) is Delcampe.net, based in Belgium. It's a "specialty" site, however... stamps, coins, books, paper collectibles. It currently has a little over 41 million listings and 600,000+ members. Like eBid, it has free listings (FVF only, except for listing upgrades); like eBid, it has a "premium" seller program; like eBid, it has been around for a long time (since 2000); like eBid, it has multiple free-standing country/region sites and like eBid, its primary domain is a ".net" not a ".com" (although they do own the dot-com and use it as the landing page for the US site).

UN-like eBid, the monthly number of "sold items" runs in excess of 600,000.

And yet? Their Alexa rating is in the 17,000s.

How is this possible? Well, for one, their "bounce rate" (e.g. percentage of users who load only ONE page and move on, rather than stay on the site) is only 19%-- eBid's is in the mid-30% range. Second, their average visitor looks at 15+ pages-- eBid's looks at around 10. Third, their traffic is relevant/targeted... not "just traffic."

I bring this up because (A) it seems like a more reasonable comparison than eBay (B) perhaps it is more prudent to learn from another "alt" site that has done very well.... with MANY sellers who have gained feedback ratings in the 10,000, 20,000, even 50,000+ range selling ONLY on that site.

I've been selling there since 2003... and it was VERY slow in the early going. However, as soon as revenues from sales started to ramp up, the company founder invested heavily in server capacity, bandwidth and generating targeted global awareness of the site, both through printed specialty media and online venues. Which, I might add, paid off quite well.

Bottom line, really... if you've got good and desirable merchandise at a fair price, it should sell. If it doesn't, there's a good chance something is not right with your selling method. Or venue. Or auction site you're using. One the other hand, if you're offering the 373rd copy of the same used book 372 other sellers have on offer, then the web site/auction site is not at fault... it's probably your sales strategy that needs to be examined.

Maybe that sounds harsh... but when I look at people who enjoy success with online sales, they tend to be highly "differentiated and specialized;" that is, they take a small niche and do it really, really, really well... often with some kind of approach nobody else is using. I think the days of being able to make an income from simply "selling stuff online" are long gone.

Well, I've probably been too outspoken, already...

Cheers,
    ~Peter

Peter!
    What a marvelously insightful and concise post.... Well done - you obviously know your stuff ! .....
    Logical, levelheaded, persuasive. I find myself agreeing with virtually everything here.

At the end of the day, as regards Alexa's own rating system - there's always been (and probably always will be), those who are 'for' and 'against' it's use - (for a whole range of reasons).

For me personally, I see it as a way to 'quantify' the progress (or otherwise) of eBid.
    Irrespective of it's accuracy, higher Alexa ratings do contribute to awareness of eBid.
    And pretty well everyone here would like eBid's awareness to grow.
    Plus it's a practical way for members to help improve that awareness,
    by simply installing the extension.

If advertisers or others choose to 'take note' of eBid due to Alexa readings, then who's complaining?
    It's nice to hear your thoughts Peter. I wish you well.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cancelcollector View Post
    Rankings are nifty, but tell only part of an overall picture.

The world's second largest online auction site (which many here have probably never heard of) is Delcampe.net, based in Belgium. It's a "specialty" site, however... stamps, coins, books, paper collectibles. It currently has a little over 41 million listings and 600,000+ members. Like eBid, it has free listings (FVF only, except for listing upgrades); like eBid, it has a "premium" seller program; like eBid, it has been around for a long time (since 2000); like eBid, it has multiple free-standing country/region sites and like eBid, its primary domain is a ".net" not a ".com" (although they do own the dot-com and use it as the landing page for the US site).

UN-like eBid, the monthly number of "sold items" runs in excess of 600,000.

And yet? Their Alexa rating is in the 17,000s.

How is this possible? Well, for one, their "bounce rate" (e.g. percentage of users who load only ONE page and move on, rather than stay on the site) is only 19%-- eBid's is in the mid-30% range. Second, their average visitor looks at 15+ pages-- eBid's looks at around 10. Third, their traffic is relevant/targeted... not "just traffic."

I bring this up because (A) it seems like a more reasonable comparison than eBay (B) perhaps it is more prudent to learn from another "alt" site that has done very well.... with MANY sellers who have gained feedback ratings in the 10,000, 20,000, even 50,000+ range selling ONLY on that site.

I've been selling there since 2003... and it was VERY slow in the early going. However, as soon as revenues from sales started to ramp up, the company founder invested heavily in server capacity, bandwidth and generating targeted global awareness of the site, both through printed specialty media and online venues. Which, I might add, paid off quite well.

Bottom line, really... if you've got good and desirable merchandise at a fair price, it should sell. If it doesn't, there's a good chance something is not right with your selling method. Or venue. Or auction site you're using. One the other hand, if you're offering the 373rd copy of the same used book 372 other sellers have on offer, then the web site/auction site is not at fault... it's probably your sales strategy that needs to be examined.

Maybe that sounds harsh... but when I look at people who enjoy success with online sales, they tend to be highly "differentiated and specialized;" that is, they take a small niche and do it really, really, really well... often with some kind of approach nobody else is using. I think the days of being able to make an income from simply "selling stuff online" are long gone.

Well, I've probably been too outspoken, already...

Cheers,
    ~Peter
    Yes, a great post.
    I have been aware of Delcampe's very high listings numbers for over a year.
    I would not list on there as I don't sell collectibles.

You say they sell 600,000 items a month, but I don't think anyone knows how many ebid sell. (probably not as many)

Of course it is probably easy to sell lots of small items like stamps and cards.

Your figure on bounce rates etc I can't quite understand - if ebid has a higher bounce rate and less page views per visitor, that should make ebid's Alexa rating lower !

Their marketing strategy of targeted adverts was obviously a good one. But ebid could probably not do they as they are a general auction site.

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    The Alexa Rating for eBid (Thread started by Juliebabe25)

Attachment 24412

11.03.2011 to 27.05.2011 inclusive

The higher the graph rises - the more 'logins' are being made to eBid.

For anyone viewing: - Installing the Alexa extension on your status bar will help our rating! You can get it here:

Originally Posted by gazza
    Here's the alexa extension for all you Chrome fans
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ipinkifmmegdel

G.

Originally Posted by gazza
    and Firefoxers
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir.../alexa-sparky/
    Well…this Alexa graph rises every time…is just like my ‘’Apple’’ shares…....I buy some of before about 5 years…So ‘’Alexa’’ go up...up...up..up…don’t go down please…....

P.S. From now on ''Steve'' my men you're officially my ''lucky star''......

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…this Alexa graph rises every time…is just like my ‘’Apple’’ shares…....I buy some of before about 5 years…So ‘’Alexa’’ go up...up...up..up…don’t go down please…....

P.S. From now on ''Steve'' my men you're officially my ''lucky star''......
    Hehe .... Yes - well Dzambo, me - I'm just displaying the data.

If not for Julie - I wouldn't even know about Alexa.
    And it's thanks to members who've installed the extension - they're the ones who've been helping to boost that graph.
    Of course Alexa themselves have enabled eBid this avenue of 'exposure' (no, I'm not paid by them !
    )
    And Gazza's pointed us to where the extension downloads can be obtained.

As others have pointed out, if anyone doesn't feel comfortable with the idea of using it - then simply don't. (and that's fair enough too).

All we can hope is that the upward trend continues even though the graph's gradient will likely shallow somewhat.
    But yes - let's hope eBid's rise proves to be as good as shares in apple !

Great to hear your happy and colorful posts Dzambo !

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Great news, ebi'd Alexa Rating is now 7,985 (that is under 8,000!)

As Emporium days says the trend is upwards, but slowing.
    This is natural to me due to the fact that as you get higher up the rankings, the competition (of other sites) gets tougher.
    And there seems to be a slow down in the northern summer.

Our next goal must be 7,000

Remember the Ranch is on 6,000 and the Moon is on 4,000 and Cousin Betsy is way up there on 250.

A higher Alexa rating means more TRAFFIC which is what we need more than anything.

Thread Information