eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspicious seller - please advise!

Forum Newbie
    Glasgow, Glasgow (City of), United Kingdom
    View struco's Feedback (+1)
    All-About struco
    View struco's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Suspicious seller - please advise!

I have encountered a first-time seller from New Zealand offering a few macbook pros at a very low price. Despite the alarm-bells, I took a chance and bid on one, as well as buy-it-now-ing another virtually identical listing (the listing did mention there were 3 macbooks available). However, I have had no replies to any of my communication since bidding, and a few questions from other users have also gone unnoticed.
    The seller does accept Paypal, which I believe would protect me, but I am definitely not paying until the guy gets in touch.
    On top of this, I noticed (though not 'til after winning the bids) that the listings were actually for 2 different accounts; 1 with a zero instead of an 'o', which adds to my suspicions about both accounts (or at least one of them).
    Some googling of the seller's username gave some answers which made it seem legit, but the lack of communication has thrown me, and now one of the 2 accounts is on hold.

I know the best bet it probably to walk away, but if it was legit I would kick myself for not seeing how it developed first. Just wondered if anyone had any advice, or any experience of scamming which seems similar to this at all.

If it helps, the two auctions are:
    -and

Thanks in advance for any input,
    Struco

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Never buy branded expensive name on-line if The Seller not official retail store…especially if the item cheap…AMEN…

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

The seller of the first item takes paypal, and that is the only way I would ever think of buying something that set off the bells. Doesn't look like questions have been answered. I'd give it some more time, see if they answer. As for the guy with the line through the name - maybe they have been struck off, or maybe Ebid is just checking something out. I don't know. Paypal is pretty good about protecting you if your item doesn't arrive. Not sure why you bid if they didn't answer questions....but there you go. I hope it works out. Maybe someone else knows more about this stuff..............good luck!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ask the seller for an invoice and see what happens. Do NOT pay until then. I'm with you Dzambo - very suspicious.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello Struco , do not worry if you have not paid.. ( you say you did bid ) do not pay until you get an invoice....same with the buy it now ....WAIT.....invoice first....only exception might be if it is a favourite seller or a well know seller to you......really . just sit back and wait.............papa.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    Never buy branded expensive name on-line if The Seller not official retail store…especially if the item cheap…AMEN…
    x2
    And I'm from New Zealand!

But i just had a quick look at one of the auctions and they state they are used, and are a company trying to sell their unwanted computers.
    Last edited by Juliebabe25; 2nd February 2011 at 06:24 PM.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    Couldn't agree more - if it seems too good to be true, it almost always is.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    x2
    And I'm from New Zealand!

But i just had a quick look at one of the auctions and they state they are used, and are a company trying to sell their unwanted computers.
    Well I know you are from New Zealand...and did you know how much new laptop cost like this? more of $2,000 and if is person lucky like this stuff even used goes for $1,500 just like that, and for Mac Pro laptops person no need to go online to sell because any person who understand what is it Apple can sell this stuff in own place very quick without any problem...but I just say in the end never know maybe this stuff is real but price is very low, for me personally I not buy this stuff for $300 to $400 and pay and wait if is going to arrive or not....

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Couldn't agree more - if it seems too good to be true, it almost always is.

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by struco View Post
    The seller does accept Paypal, which I believe would protect me, but I am definitely not paying until the guy gets in touch.
    Absolutely perfect strategy. Good on you for being patient! Too many people will tell you that you're protected with PayPal, but that's not true. If you send a payment, and the seller withdraws the money from his PayPal account while you're sitting there awaiting your shipment, there is no money in the account should you ever file a complaint for Items Not Received. You will win the complaint and receive nothing... So you're right, don't send the money until you feel certain you are dealing with an active honest seller. If they don't answer your questions... what are the chances they will send the goods? Sellers who don't communicate shouldn't get paid.
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Thread Information