Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't find autobiography

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default I can't find autobiography

Am I going blind? I can't imagine that there would be a biography section but no autobiography. Will someone point me in the right direction.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

An autobiography is a biography, so all my biographies go in Biography.
    I reckon that a buyer looks in biography for something on a certain person, and would be just as happy to see a biography written by the person themselves.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, that's not very exact is it? I'm listing 127 hours and would prefer to put it under either autobiography or movie tie-ins but neither category is available. Are there any other suggestions?

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well.....HALLELUJAH!!! Someone else is asking the very question I asked well over a year ago requesting an Autobiography category....YES!!!

To clarify....biographies and NOT autobiographies, and likewise autobiographies are NOT biographies. They need separate categories...To say that they are both one-in-the-same is not correct. Why else would Barnes & Noble, Amazon, even your local library, have a separate category for the two???

You go for it Olivia....I did and failed...but I'll root for you all the way!

iwiw - You have solved my query - I just knew this had been asked for - and rejected - before.

Of course biography and autobiography are not the same. Do we really have to be pedants and spell out the difference?

I am tempted. But will refrain

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I suppose I'll get jumped on, but hey ho... of course biographies include autobiographies. Autobiographies are just biographies written by the subject. Is anybody suggesting that sports books should be filed separately depending on whether or not the writer plays the sport? I can't comment on anybody's local library, but neither Amazon nor Barnes and Noble split auto/biographies.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think that we should come at it from the angle of the library who will say autobiographies are different, so they are different sections. They have an interest in sectionalising because they have complex catalogues.
    People have to go to an index to find where a library catalogues a book

Our angle is, where is a buyer most likely to look for it. The buyer does not have an index, so we have to make things intuitive for them. The rules are different.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I suppose I'll get jumped on, but hey ho... of course biographies include autobiographies. Autobiographies are just biographies written by the subject. Is anybody suggesting that sports books should be filed separately depending on whether or not the writer plays the sport? I can't comment on anybody's local library, but neither Amazon nor Barnes and Noble split auto/biographies.
    Wouldn't dream of jumping on you, Kimbo

Yes, I see what you mean and, in principle, can't disagree. However........ if we consider a Memoir to be an Autobiography, then surely the difference is clear: I wouldn't look for a Memoir under a Biography category.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mostly_Cookbooks View Post
    Wouldn't dream of jumping on you, Kimbo
    Don't worry, I expect Magz will offer to do it for you.

Yes, I see what you mean and, in principle, can't disagree. However........ if we consider a Memoir to be an Autobiography, then surely the difference is clear: I wouldn't look for a Memoir under a Biography category.
    Ah... I would. I don't see any difference between a Memoir and an Autobiography, and would definitely look in Biographies for them. In the end, of course, it's up to Da Boyz.

.. I prefer Biography - I mean how many actually write their own... I always take it to cover the whole subject...

in my 'store' I divide them into Family, Relationship, Historical, War or Warfare, Sport, Entertainment.. whatever I think it will fit!!!
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Thread Information