eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's a turn up for the books! Can Anybody Help?

Forum Newbie
    View Cailleach's Feedback (+1816)
    All-About Cailleach
    View Cailleach's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Here's a turn up for the books! Can Anybody Help?

Whilst sorting out some our books to put on sale today. I dusted off some paperbacks that had been lingering about for sometime and came across one in perticular.
    I read it some years ago & never gave a second thought to the gift inscription.

Well, this one on closer inspection is from the one and only Labour leader himself!

Who is Carol, I wonder? & what price should I start the Auction off at? I have tried looking for simaliar things by Ed but haven't been able to find anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    eBid - the pheonix of auction sites.

http://uk.ebid.net/items/Cailleach

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cailleach View Post
    Whilst sorting out some our books to put on sale today. I dusted off some paperbacks that had been lingering about for sometime and came across one in perticular.
    I read it some years ago & never gave a second thought to the gift inscription.

Well, this one on closer inspection is from the one and only Labour leader himself!

Who is Carol, I wonder? & what price should I start the Auction off at? I have tried looking for simaliar things by Ed but haven't been able to find anything.
    You're so excited by the Miliband inscription you forgot to tell us what book it is.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Cailleach
    Forum Posts

Oops - Yes sorry, the excitement got ot me. Now about the book itself. erm.... what can I say? It's a poxy fiction paperback called Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson Published by Bloomsbury in 1996 (how disappointing for a collector).

It's a bit of a bizzare present to give to somebody. Especially for a 26 years old up & coming politician.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oops - Yes sorry, the excitement got ot me. Now about the book itself. erm.... what can I say? It's a poxy fiction paperback called Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson Published by Bloomsbury in 1996 (how disappointing for a collector).

It's a bit of a bizzare present to give to somebody. Especially for a 26 years old up & coming politician.
    It's a popular and successful novel, and was made into a movie I believe. But I doubt if a paperback, even with the leader of the Opposition having scrawled in it, is going to be worth fortunes. File it away in acid-free paper in case he does something truly significant in later life.

Forum Newbie
    All-About Cailleach
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    It's a popular and successful novel, and was made into a movie I believe. But I doubt if a paperback, even with the leader of the Opposition having scrawled in it, is going to be worth fortunes. File it away in acid-free paper in case he does something truly significant in later life.

I've just sent him a message asking who Carol is. There could be a story to be told here as he was only 26 at the time. I will await his response. My goodness I am nosey!!

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Could this be another political scandal in the making?
    He obviously never bought the book on expenses, it would be gold leaf on morocco leather!

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've just sent him a message asking who Carol is. There could be a story to be told here as he was only 26 at the time. I will await his response. My goodness I am nosey!!
    Don't suppose it could be Carol, daughter of the Lady Who Was Not For Turning!

Forum Newbie
    All-About Cailleach
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replys -

Gronny - It is that which is intriguing me. Why would an up & coming Politician buy an everyday copy of a book as a gift. It was only £4.99 at the time. Does he always buy cheep gifts? (If so I'm voting for him at the next election)

Lesliesdaughter - I hadn't thought about her - would he have signed it 'Love Ed Miliband' though?

I will have to wait to see what his response is to the email I sent him (if I get a response).
    If he had never heard of eBid, he has now!

I put in the email that I'm going to auction it on eBid (after I get a response) & that David Cameron should be looking to support eBid for inspiration on the new 'Big Society' he keeps whinging on about.
    Here is a great community spirit, lots of bargains, people don't get ripped off by the big companys & there are plenty of charity auction on here, that unlike the other site, DON'T take a large slice of the pie in administration cost.

I wonder if he will take note? I'm hoping!

Paula

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replys -

Gronny - It is that which is intriguing me. Why would an up & coming Politician buy an everyday copy of a book as a gift. It was only £4.99 at the time. Does he always buy cheep gifts? (If so I'm voting for him at the next election)
    I don't understand what's surprising about this? Why wouldn't a "not yet rich or famous" person give another a perfectly normal book that's currently the talk of the reading set? Any exchange that goes "I read this great book, have you tried it?" "No, I must get a copy" could easily end up with a gift of the sort. Or maybe he just didn't know her *that* well. Or maybe it was a stocking filler. Or maybe a dozen other simple reasons.

Thread Information