Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football ( Soccer) Programmes

Default Football ( Soccer) Programmes

I have five hundred football programmes listed which has taken quite a time in front of the computer!
    Although some seem to attract a number of views I have only sold a few while my other items sell reasonably well with 5 items sold this week from far fewer listings.
    The programmes are reasonably priced compared to competitors on eBid and elsewhere.
    Is there little or no market for football programmes ( other sellers here don't seem to be selling that well) or is there something else that I should be doing to advertise my programmes?
    Perhaps posting on football fans websites etc.
    Ideas would be appreciated from those football fans who visit these pages..

Peter

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

The only thing I can suggest, and you won't want to hear this, is that your photographs are rather poor - sorry. You describe a programme I looked at as being near mint, the photo is such poor resolution it's all blocky and and rather washed out, so the programme looks shabby. You did ask, so I hope you don't mind me offering that opinion, I know it's not flattering!

Kim
    Thanks for the advice - Don't be sorry about unflattering advice -It's not as if I am selling loads so something is wrong - either programmes are not selling and that can only be answered by Huddy or the other guys who also offer programmes or my strategy is wrong and your comments may help correct that.
    You are right about the pictures. I use a scanner as getting a good digital picture of glossy paper can be difficult and time consuming for an item on which I can only make a small profit - my scanner has seen better days and I have promised myself a new one when I start loading postcards which will eventually be my main business- I think that purchase must come very shortly.
    I do use the same scanner for other items that seem to be selling well so I don't think that it is totally down to the image. Perhaps I should experiment with the size and resolution of the images. My images may be too small to look good and if improved may help sales even more on the other items.
    I have tried other thinks to help with no success
    I displayed a good quality picture of the club badge on recent items rather than a scan of the actual programme
    That has good and bad points in that it is quick and draws attention quickly to the item but of course it may put off some people who want to see the actual cover.
    I have also tried varying prices, postage and auction lengths, making special offers and offering them to other countries.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

As a solution to the problem of putting in lots of time making pics of something that's low value, I like the idea of using the club badges. As you say, a good eye-catcher for fans. Do you use both badges (two teams) side-by-side or pick one? I think if you do that you could put an offer near the top of your description saying a scan of the actual item is available on request - that might reassure people, and means you only have to scan them if they actually ask. With low cost items they probably won't bother. If I saw a well put together listing with that offer I'd probably assume the description was accurate. However, I'm not a buyer or seller of these items, so don't take my word for what's best here!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

p.s. just a thought - if the others *are* selling successfully, it might be expecting a bit much for them to come in and tell you how to compete directly with them more effectively. A search of closed listings might be the way to go.

Kim
    I normally show the badge of the home team but I like the idea of listing the badge of the away team.
    The offer to supply a scan of the actual programme is in the same area as the grading of the programme , perhaps it could be higher in the blurb.
    I have checked the completed listings and they do not show many sales although some of the sellers have high sales numbers so even if they are not selling at present then they have sold in the past.
    I understand what you say about competitors secrets but even if we are competitors we need to work together to build sales and make eBid the place to go to find football programmes then we will all sell more.
    I am not really after secrets I am more interested in the viability of selling football programmes on eBid ie is it worth putting more effort in and buying in more stock or would I be better concentrating on another area.

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi

Sorry only just noticed this thread,I am not really selling programmes at the moment only a few odd ones that haven't moved,my 500 + Millwall programmes were selling ok ish mainly to Millwall fans obviously,I have a link to my Millwall shop on the main Millwall supporters club site which has helped me,I sold them all to one programmes seller who then let me down grrr,like an idiot I deleted the auctions rather than closed them,just haven't had the urge to to relist them. may get round to it in the new year or just try and sell them somewhere as a bulk lot(may save me some time).
    As for your prices seem ok although mine were around the same with a buy one get one free so half the price !!!!!
    Maybe as was said go into other football forums with a link in your sig to try and drive people your way.
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Thanks - That info is useful - Your shop was one of the reasons that I decided to build on an interest (In my case all things Ipswich Town rather than Millwall although I have been to Cold Blow Lane a few time with Ipswich) and sell programmes from Essex , Suffolk and East London.
    I think that with the advice on sharpening up the images from bykimbo and your advice for promotion via football sites I will list the remainder of my Programmes (just Southend and Ipswich ones to go) and then promote what I have listed before I add any more.

Thanks to both of you.

Peter

Hi Peter

I am selling a collection of programmes on here and I don't think there are any secrets or tips on best ways to sell them. The important things for me are a good picture of the programme (long winded I know but I prefer that to a club badge), the date of the fixture, and details such as creasing, tears, writing and rusty staples (present or otherwise).

To be honest, I welcome as many sellers of programmes as possible. I don't view this as competition, but rather more choice which in turn attracts more buyers. So please list, list, list away!

I also find there is no rhyme or reason to sales. Yes it is much slower here, but I would rather sell here slowly, than sell them slightly quicker elsewhere, whilst losing money for the privlege of doing so. I am not a dealer as I am not adding to my collection, I'm simply reclaiming much needed space.

Hope my views help and I am certainly happy to help in any other way I can. Good luck selling.

Oh, forgot to mention........I considered posting on football programme collectors forums, but after reading many and looking at their rules, most don't take kindly to that sort of posting. Unless you post regularly and contribute, they may delete your "advert". But do your homework and see what you think for yourself.

Thread Information