eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Young Family In Need

View foxescome's Feedback (+2076)
    All-About foxescome
    View foxescome's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ju5tachance View Post
    My own children have never gotten much but there has always been plenty of family, friends and lots of good food around. We've always enjoyed feeding our faces more than opening gifts. I children.
    justa chance,... I think that is what the Pantha was saying... why don't you invite this family to your Christmas celebrations/

You have a lovely picture of you & your family at Christmas on your about me page so that would be a lovely way for anyone to enjoy this time of the year and maybe some second hand gifts for the children that your family no longer play with.

Anything is better than nothing and I am sure even 2nd hand would be appreciated... lots of families have hand me down presents
    Irene

For Everything a Girl Could Want
    Skincare, Perfumes, Purses & Handbags.

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Reeniay-Girls

I

Default We would LOVE to help!

We need facts such as ages, sizes, likes anything that may help us in an attempt to help you. We don't have much right now and times have been extremely difficult, however that being said I believe the original poster of this message did it with good intentions and a kind heart.

Forum Newbie
    All-About ChristysCloset36
    View ChristysCloset36's Listings
    Forum Posts

I really hate to hear stories like this especially at the Holidays but the fact is that there are families like this one that struggle all year long, not just during the Holidays. I have a few ideas for you.

One way that you, your neighbors, family and friends can help them, not just during the holidays, is to make a little "extra" when you are fixing meals. This does not cost much more to do when you are already cooking, especially if it is something like a crock pot meal or casserole. A few of us either get together or do it individually, which ever works out best, and cook extra that can be frozen and pulled out for meals. This cuts down on their food costs and sometimes gives them a little extra money.

I do agree with the fact that Christmas is or should not be about gifts. I must admit that while we are certainly not wealthy and have seen some pretty lean times, my children have never gone without and I would go as far as to say a bit spoiled. But......my kids have been taught that the season is about giving and are more excited about the gifts they give than the ones they receive. When they were younger they would "clean out" toys and clothing that they no longer used. I always told them to imagine passing along things that they had enjoyed and had been thrilled themselves to get to someone else who had very little. How excited that child would be to have that item to play with or wear. Believe me, they always found an abundance of things that they never even really missed. If you really look around you, we all have things that we do not need. They are now 25 & 17 and they have continued to do this even now that they are older. You ight try asking the people around you to look for just 1 item each that they really can do without.

I know that you said that times are tight for everyone right now but you might also try Thrift stores. Most have "sale days" where items are even more deeply discounted and they have tons of kids stuff. Ours run sales on Sundays where a certain color tag will be 5/$1.00 and another color that is 1/2 off. I often even find new items really cheap there and usually snag those up and save for times when I know someone needs help. I buy my kids books there for .49 each all of the time. Just bought my 17 year old Chicken Soup for the College Soul, saving it for Christmas and even though it is used and I did not pay much for it she will be thrilled to have it.

Just a few ideas. Hope they help a little.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ju5tachance View Post
    Thanks for those ideas guys. Those are all I was asking for unless someone did want to volunteer a small toy or something. Not a hand out. I never imagined that me posting on a website out of the kindness of my heart would make me look fake with a fake pic, etc. Has the internet really gotten that bad? I guess my heart has gotten bigger than my brain. :0) ............................. Please don't think ill of me Pink. I wasn't trying to be rude. I guess it's hard to explain things when you don't talk to someone in person. It's easy to take things the wrong way when you are just reading words and not knowing the feelings behind them.n.
    No one said you looked fake or the picture was fake, or that you didn't have a big heart...............just that things may or may not be what they seem on the web, so for important issues like actually helping a real family near you, hands on is the best way to go. If you have a Jaycees group near you, they are usually very hands-on and community oriented. Do the elderly people she cares for have families? Maybe you could get in touch with them and tap them for some help or ideas. The Salvation Army is a tremendous resource, and might not have to be a local branch to help out. Sounds like the family could use a hand for more than just Christmas time........best wishes to you and them........
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Please don't think ill of me Pink. I wasn't trying to be rude.
    I'm just saying that the internet is not the way to go.
    This needs tackling at a local level.

Your efforts need to be transparent for all to see.

I'm sure your friend would appreciate the companiponship and help of the community much more.

Why don't you organize a communty event that she can make a small contribution too.
    That contribution can be what it always was, her big heart!

I'm sure she won't need material things to make her feel good.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it's great that you want to help and agree with those who say the local level is the way to go. Our local Harris Teeter donates food to the needy for the holidays and others have mentioned colleges and churches. Perhaps you could invite her and her kids for holiday dinner? That would show her you care and, as Pink said, wouldn't cost a lot; (I agree with him that the best gifts come from the heart).

That said, I know kids like toys for Christmas. I don't sell kids' stuff and don't have any around, being single and childless myself, but would be happy to contribute to a fund for toys, PM me if you like.

Best wishes for happy holidays to all,

Default Maybe our post got lost along the way...

We would LOVE to help, but we need the facts. Any information would be appreciated. Sizes, ages, interests, etc. Please let us know.... thank you!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Not sure if this is appropriate here, or if OP would wish it, but am sharing the link to the Wal-Mart Wish List she PM'd me/set up for her neighbor in need:

https://www.walmart.com/giftregistry...id=80513170122

OP, or anyone else, if this is a problem/violates any eBid forum rules, please feel free to delete this post or PM me and I'll delete it. Just trying to be helpful...

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Last edited by suesjools; 8th December 2010 at 12:46 PM.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

this newfangled Christmas thing
    uh...newfangled??

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate here, or if OP would wish it, but am sharing the link to the Wal-Mart Wish List she PM'd me/set up for her neighbor in need:

https://www.walmart.com/giftregistry...id=80513170122

OP, or anyone else, if this is a problem/violates any eBid forum rules, please feel free to delete this post or PM me and I'll delete it. Just trying to be helpful...

Best wishes for many sales to all,
    Okay for all those concerned I did get to this part of the post and appreciate it.

Thread Information