Escrow is a type of trust account.

I still don't know what a "Sells" is.

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bohemian's Feedback (+129)
    All-About Bohemian
    View Bohemian's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Require a certain reputation before big sells are allowed

Thanks. is "Sells" an American expression for sales ? "Big Sells" = Big Sales ?

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I wish they would use proper English.
    That term just grates on me.
    Its not even a shortcut, its the same number of characters.

Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View ukcoins's Feedback (+6)
    All-About ukcoins
    View ukcoins's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QuickNet View Post
    Has eBid ever considered requiring a certain reputation from sellers before they start selling high dollar items?

I'm sick of every time I search for something, coming across auctions where the seller has 10 of my item, and is expecting some sort of price, and I have absolutely no idea whether to trust him or not.

I think requiring a minimum of 10 good feedback, or limiting sellers with 0 feedback to a certain number of items would make, or even requiring sellers to use escrow for items above a certain price, would definitely improve the ebid experience, and give more credit to all sellers in general.
    You cant say to a seller you need 10 feedback before we will let you sell any decent items, they just wouldn't bother with the site from day one,

The site should be trying to encourage good sellers to come, not put any obstacles in there way, most sellers of higher value items will take paypal payments or similar methods which all offer some buyer protection,

Any seller joining a site has to start with no feedback doesn't mean to say they are not genuine sellers, i had no feedback when i joined and only have 1 feedback now, does this say i'm untrustworthy, there also no point importing my feedback from another site i sell on where im a top rated gold power seller, it wouldn't show you the value of the items i sold on there just say praise from buyer so there not much point in doing this,

I wouldn't buy any high value item if didn't at least have the option of paying by paypal, even if i wanted to pay by cheque i would still want a seller to have paypal as a option, the checks paypal do for a business or premium account are a lot more stringent than any site does,

The other point which maybe you don't know, once you register to sell and start to listing expensive items ebid block your account and you have to send them a lot more validation proof of who you are so they can check you out before they unblock your account and allow you to carry on selling,

All-About ukcoins
    View ukcoins's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    What exactly is Escrow ? I have been buying and selling on the internet for a few years and never heard of it. I use Moneybookers and Pay Pal for practically everything.
    escrow is a bit like paypal, the main difference escrow keep your money and you have to send the goods to the buyer first, once the buyer says they have received the goods and they are happy escrow will then release your funds to you, if the buyer says they never got the goods or they are unhappy about something you have to sort this out first before escrow will release the money for those goods, i wonder why its not very popular,

All-About ukcoins
    View ukcoins's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another point, buyers always say the same thing as you how can i tell if the seller is trustworthy, its not rocket science to work out if some one is just trying to sell a few high end items to scam you and then do a runner,

ALSO What about the the sellers, you don't think we run risks when we sell, i can sell a £1000 coin get paid send the item and then get whats called a charge back by the credit card company, i would now have no money and no item, every time sellers sell a item we don't say is this a genuine buyer or a crook trying to scam me, oh best get a load of verification proof of them before they can have the item,

Its always the same nobody ever gives the sellers any thought, i'm sure other sellers know what i'm talking about, for some reason buyers only ever think its them that can get scammed and loose money,

IMO buyers will judge whether to buy an item mainly by the payment methods offered in the listing.

To use an extreme example (outlawed by most marketplaces): If a seller requests payment by Western Union buyers should (and most would I hope) run a mile! At the other end of the scale, if Paypal is offered and the purchase will be covered by their buyer protection program, then milions of buyers will proceed to buy.
    Last edited by HelenAndGraham; 22nd April 2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Thanks. is "Sells" an American expression for sales ? "Big Sells" = Big Sales ?
    No, it is not an American expression. It's probably a typographical error, OP intended to say "Sales". Some of us have learned to proofread before we post, others have not.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Tia's Treasure's

I'd like to think it was a typo
    But I see it around all over the place.
    So I think it is a new term people are trying to bring in
    (May be younger people, or marketing graduates? or hip hop sellers)
    Its too far away from Sales to be a typo.
    Much as you know that I make a few typos and don't always proof read as well I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Hi Tia's Treasure's

I'd like to think it was a typo
    But I see it around all over the place.
    So I think it is a new term people are trying to bring in
    (May be younger people, or marketing graduates? or hip hop sellers)
    Its too far away from Sales to be a typo.
    Much as you know that I make a few typos and don't always proof read as well I should.
    You may be right, but I do want to make it clear it is NOT an "American expression"

Thread Information