Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Require a certain reputation before big sells are allowed

Forum Newbie
    View QuickNet's Feedback (+2)
    All-About QuickNet
    View QuickNet's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Require a certain reputation before big sells are allowed

Has eBid ever considered requiring a certain reputation from sellers before they start selling high dollar items?

I'm sick of every time I search for something, coming across auctions where the seller has 10 of my item, and is expecting some sort of price, and I have absolutely no idea whether to trust him or not.

I think requiring a minimum of 10 good feedback, or limiting sellers with 0 feedback to a certain number of items would make, or even requiring sellers to use escrow for items above a certain price, would definitely improve the ebid experience, and give more credit to all sellers in general.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I expect if that were to happen, certain sellers (here and everywhere) would just find a way around it - like buy or sell 10 pencils and get good feedback. It's a difficult situation.........and hard to have a system that guarantees that everyone is honest and ethical. If in doubt, I don't deal with the person, but find someone who does have a good track record.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know that when I started my sales were very sluggish for a long time, but then picked up once my feedback got over 5.
    The question is how to build a reputation if you have a threshold.

Buying on Amazon, my experience with small scale sellers is better than that with large sellers in both quality and speed, so I would not always go for the high volume seller.

Buying on Ebid, I have the assurance of Paypal claims process if something goes wrong.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

I think now with sellers with high price items they have to go through an id check with E/BID sure someone will verify this.

These sort of sellers need to show sales history from other sites for there own benefit.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by QuickNet View Post
    Has eBid ever considered requiring a certain reputation from sellers before they start selling high dollar items?

I'm sick of every time I search for something, coming across auctions where the seller has 10 of my item, and is expecting some sort of price, and I have absolutely no idea whether to trust him or not.

I think requiring a minimum of 10 good feedback, or limiting sellers with 0 feedback to a certain number of items would make, or even requiring sellers to use escrow for items above a certain price, would definitely improve the ebid experience, and give more credit to all sellers in general.
    One of eBid's best points is that they don't "force" you to do anything.Deciding whether to trust someone is down to the individual & how much work they want to put in to checking them out.
    If you're interested in something,ask the seller to accept an escrow payment.If they refuse move on but,tell them why.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Require a certain reputation before big sells are required

What does big sells mean ?
    There are is no such word as "sells" in your context ?

I think you are getting a bit carried away by getting "sick" of it.

What dollar value are you sick of $50 ?, $100, $1,000 ?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I expect if that were to happen, certain sellers (here and everywhere) would just find a way around it - like buy or sell 10 pencils and get good feedback. It's a difficult situation.........and hard to have a system that guarantees that everyone is honest and ethical. If in doubt, I don't deal with the person, but find someone who does have a good track record.
    Agree 110%!

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Before you buy:

Check out the seller's last online date.
    Ask seller questions.

If all OK - pay with CC via Paypal

Forum Newbie
    All-About almino87
    View almino87's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs down Re: Require a certain reputation before big sells are allowed

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    One of eBid's best points is that they don't "force" you to do anything.Deciding whether to trust someone is down to the individual & how much work they want to put in to checking them out.
    If you're interested in something,ask the seller to accept an escrow payment.If they refuse move on but,tell them why.
    This is interesting and a viewpoint I hadn't thought of until you mentioned it.

I started a thread saying that Escrow should be an option regardless of whether the seller has "enabled" it as an option. But I guess all you have to do is say, escrow please and if they say no, then just walk away.

They get no money and you are safe.

I wish I had done that before I got stung for £160.

At least I have a verified address (the seller's debit/credit card also matched the address) and I've got in touch with Trading Standards who are going to mediate for me. Money claim online is also an option as I have a real address. A convicted fraudster strikes again, I will not let him get away with it!
    Last edited by almino87; 21st April 2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: wrong word

Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Bohemian's Feedback (+129)
    All-About Bohemian
    View Bohemian's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Require a certain reputation before big sells are allowed

What exactly is Escrow ? I have been buying and selling on the internet for a few years and never heard of it. I use Moneybookers and Pay Pal for practically everything.

Thread Information