Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Ruler stability with rotary cutter

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Ruler stability with rotary cutter

I cut a lot of homemade bias tape, which is simply regular fabric cut at a 45 degree angle, in precise widths such as 1 3/8". I use a 24" long clear plastic ruler and a rotary cutter. However, it's hard to keep the ruler firmly in place so that the cut strip doesn't end up with uneven widths. I have seen suction cup handles you can temporarily attach to rulers, i have seen sheets of some kind of anti-slippery stuff you can adhere to the underside of the ruler, and i have seen adhesive dots with the same idea. However, rather than spend money and time waiting for an online order, or spend even more time shopping in a brick and mortar store, I came up with what I consider an excellent solution.

You know that rubbery, lacy, open pattern stuff you buy in rolls to put on shelves or drawers to keep things from sliding around, such as picture frames or other knickknacks. It's quite cheap.

I had some Scotch poster mounting tape on hand. It's got adhesive on both sides and comes in a roll with backing paper on one side. I cut four 1" pieces of the tape and four matching size pieces of the rubbery anti-slide stuff, and attached them to the underside of my big plastic ruler.

What a joy it is to be able to hold the ruler with one hand and the rotary cutter with the other, and have the ruler stay in place almost as if it's nailed down.

Maybe I'm overly proud of my little idea but it's cheap, effective and brings me joy. Hope somebody else can benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAda View Post
    I cut a lot of homemade bias tape, which is simply regular fabric cut at a 45 degree angle, in precise widths such as 1 3/8". I use a 24" long clear plastic ruler and a rotary cutter. However, it's hard to keep the ruler firmly in place so that the cut strip doesn't end up with uneven widths. I have seen suction cup handles you can temporarily attach to rulers, i have seen sheets of some kind of anti-slippery stuff you can adhere to the underside of the ruler, and i have seen adhesive dots with the same idea. However, rather than spend money and time waiting for an online order, or spend even more time shopping in a brick and mortar store, I came up with what I consider an excellent solution.

You know that rubbery, lacy, open pattern stuff you buy in rolls to put on shelves or drawers to keep things from sliding around, such as picture frames or other knickknacks. It's quite cheap.

I had some Scotch poster mounting tape on hand. It's got adhesive on both sides and comes in a roll with backing paper on one side. I cut four 1" pieces of the tape and four matching size pieces of the rubbery anti-slide stuff, and attached them to the underside of my big plastic ruler.

What a joy it is to be able to hold the ruler with one hand and the rotary cutter with the other, and have the ruler stay in place almost as if it's nailed down.

Maybe I'm overly proud of my little idea but it's cheap, effective and brings me joy. Hope somebody else can benefit.
    Well done you.

You shud patent it and sell the idea!

Thanks for sharing your great idea - its not one that I will immediately use (its very rare I make my own - but I do from time to time).

It is very self gratifying when you come up with an idea to solve a problem and when it's put into practise it works a treat - and it either re-uses something you've already got, or the solution is simple and cheap. The best ideas usually come from desperate need - the old saying being 'necessity being the mother of invention'.

Be proud of your idea - its worth shouting about - its an easy cheap solution to help do a task quickly & safely
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Next stop the Dragons' Den?

Brilliant idea! I have the anti-slippery stuff that came on a roll on mine - but it was expensive - I'll have to remember your tip next time!

Why are quilter's accessories so costly? There are often cheaper alternatives to the items sold specially for the job!

Do you remember our previous discussion about "painter's tape" and using it to mark quilts? I can't claim that as my idea as it was a tip I read about somewhere! You very kindly sent me a sample of the tape from the USA... Well it works perfectly and leaves no sticky marks. Look...

Name:  Quilt top.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  99.1 KB

I now have a collection of these tapes in different widths and use it all the time! All thanks to you...

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

WOW! Your cutting is very impressive. The dark pink on pink piece in the lower right is precisely lined up so that the (I assume) machine quilting lines up exactly on it.

WOW! Your cutting is very impressive. The dark pink on pink piece in the lower right is precisely lined up so that the (I assume) machine quilting lines up exactly on it.
    LOL - I wish I could claim that it was all carefully planned but I have to admit that was entirely accidental! I do like the seams between the piecing to line up though

Thread Information