eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Show calculated shipping for multiple items in a single listing

Forum Newbie
    View NPCoin's Feedback (+559)
    All-About NPCoin
    View NPCoin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Show calculated shipping for multiple items in a single listing

After perusing the forums for a bit this evening, I am under the assumption that there is no combined shipping mechanism here on eBid, and thus my suggestion is not concerning a glitch in the current site implementation.. I have a few multiple item listings up with calculated shipping based on weight. The shipping calculates properly for a single item, but stays the same even if the "quantity required" is updated for multiple items.

Does eBid have any intention of implementing a combined shipping mechanism in the near future? For instance, if I have 100 pieces available on a listing that weigh 0.7oz each and someone wanted 10 of them, it would be more beneficial to have the shipping update from a calculated 1oz package to a 7oz package when the "quantity required" changes. Perhaps another button on the listing page to "Update Shipping" after a potential buyer updates the quantity?

I understand that the mechanisms to invoice across multiple listings may be quite complicated and time consuming to implement for invoicing purposes. However, that can be taken care of by manually revising an invoice to the buyer. My concern is the ability of the buyer to obtain an accurate estimate of shipping costs on multiple items for a single listing in real time.

The more listings that are posted in a store, the more time consuming it would be to revise each listing to state that there would be "$X.XX more shipping for each additional item" when the cost of shipping varies (sometimes greatly) especially between domestic and international shipments. The whole purpose of utilizing a shipping calculator is to (hopefully) show true and accurate shipping at the crucial moment that a potential customer is considering their purchase.

eBay currently utilizes a very complex and extensive combined shipping implementation that spans into their invoicing capabilities. eBid does not seem to have any capabilities for automated combined shipping at all. This is one of the things that has kept me from listing many items on eBid, because many of my items are more for the shipping (sometimes multiples more) than the actual cost of a single item. But, as the number of like items purchased increases, the ratio to shipping becomes less and less.

If there is a mechanism already in eBid to do this, then please do point me in the right direction as I have not seen where this may be done. Thank you for your time.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We are currently working on combined shipping for multiple item auctions. To start it will be for calculated shipping.

When listing an item the seller will be asked the weight of each extra piece.

eg.
    1st item is 9oz (say 7oz envelope and 2oz product)
    Any item after the first would be listed as 2oz more.
    So 4 items would be 9oz + 2 + 2 + 2 = 15oz (1lb 1oz)

The problem comes when a new (larger & heavier) envelope would be needed to house the extra items, then we will have problems. But this will be for a later incarnation.

For Flat rate shipping we will add a box to add an extra cost for each additional item, it is a basic method but will be a start.

Gazza
    Last edited by gazza; 3rd November 2010 at 11:27 AM.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    For Flat rate shipping we will add a box to add an extra cost for each additional item, it is a basic method but will be a start.

Gazza
    That'll do me nicely, thank you. :-)

Forum Newbie
    East Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    View gusfirefly's Feedback (+24389)
    All-About gusfirefly
    View gusfirefly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Glad to hear it, Gazza. This exactly answers my question before I even asked.
    Sharon

Forum Newbie
    All-About gusfirefly
    Forum Posts

Any guesstimate on when this might come into play?
    Sharon

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gusfirefly View Post
    Any guesstimate on when this might come into play?
    Sharon
    Name:  how long's a piece of string.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  9.5 KB

Please, give us a way to either make this optional, or else include a box to adjust the total shipping weight before sending the invoice.

We sell items of many different shapes and sizes, and combining the weight will not always be adequate, because the size of the box and the amount of packing material can change the combined weight unexpectedly. It will also require adjustment even for similar items. The shipping weight on our calculated shipping for coins and stamps includes the envelope and protective cardboard, so the combined weight will be way too high.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Domestic calculated is being worked on at the moment, day or so hopefully. Then we will work on International calculated then both flats.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Newbie
    All-About gusfirefly
    Forum Posts

This sounds great. Any guesstimate when it may come into play?
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    We are currently working on combined shipping for multiple item auctions. To start it will be for calculated shipping.

When listing an item the seller will be asked the weight of each extra piece.

eg.
    1st item is 9oz (say 7oz envelope and 2oz product)
    Any item after the first would be listed as 2oz more.
    So 4 items would be 9oz + 2 + 2 + 2 = 15oz (1lb 1oz)

The problem comes when a new (larger & heavier) envelope would be needed to house the extra items, then we will have problems. But this will be for a later incarnation.

Gazza

Thread Information