eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stamp Categories - Thematic

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Stamp Categories - Thematic

We are under a lot of pressure from our users to simplify our category structure currently and not add so many specific subcategories. Let us know if these are all required.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Lurker
    View borucha's Feedback (+3013)
    All-About borucha
    View borucha's Listings
    Forum Posts

seeing as this subject has reared its head on numerous times recently i thought i would redirect people to this thread in which i and others spent a considerable amount of time creating a detailed list of categories and subcategories under the thematic heading only to be told that users apparently didnt want so much detail.

I gave up asking for this area to be reviewed after the last dismissive response.

However, I see that the thematic listings have just been expanded but havent got the koiach (sp?) to see whether they cover the main categories requested in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    We are under a lot of pressure from our users to simplify our category structure currently and not add so many specific subcategories. Let us know if these are all required.

Gazza
    If those users are stamp sellers, perhaps they should consider another area of selling. The stamp subcategories we are asking for are required for those of us who wish to conduct business in a professional manner.

There should be no questioning of the required categories or subcategories that we request. The categories are available on all major sites, and are well known to established dealers and long -time sellers, around the globe.

I would suggest that the present categories, which purportedly are derived from the Stanley Gibbons Catalog be retained, and those specific requests from us be patched into the present categories.

For example, there have been request for Cinderellas to be added. Cinderellas stamps are considered topical or thematic, and a simple addition of Stamps>Thematic>Cinderellas would suffice. A huge variety of topics (Charity Seals, Poster Stamps, etc.) could be shoveled into the Cinderella sub-category. While not perfect, it would suffice for the moment.

Further, you should note that there are sellers who are selling or might want to sell more than Grandpa's stamps here. To attract them, and retain them, eBid will have to make some adjustments. One of which would be to accommodate these larger sellers with the categories they need to grow their business.

Please consider our requests.

Bill K-
    Last edited by kozersky; 25th August 2011 at 10:56 PM.

I read a few of the earlier posts on this thread. I have to agree with Gaza in that there might not be a need for such detailed sub-categories.

Perhaps the stamp sellers here should agree on what we really need, so as to save Gazza a lot of unnecessary work.

Bill K-

One subcategory that needs additions is the Thematic category. For example, there currently is a category known as Stamps>Philately & Postal History>Cinderellas. This category is currently being utilized by sellers of Cinderella stamps.

There is a problem - Postal History is defined as the study of postal systems and how they operate and, or, the study of postage stamps and covers and associated material illustrating historical episodes of postal systems. And, Philately is defined as the study of stamps and postal history and other related items. Philately involves more than just stamp collecting ... (Wikipedia).

.With those definitions in mind, it does not appear to be a proper place to list stamps for sale. The Category is best for reference material regarding postal history and the study of philately.

Cinderellas should be in the subcategory - Stamps>Thematics>Cinderellas.

Cinderellas appears to be the only subcategory of the Philately & Postal History Category that has been orphaned without its's own subcategory.

Also, apparently Seasonal is meant to cover Christmas, Easter, New Years, Thanksgiving, and other seasonal holidays. We could most likely get along with that as long as we have Cinderellas as an alternative Thematic subcategory.

Wildlife and Animals could remain for the time being, until we overload the subcategory. I'm assuming that cats, dogs, tigers, elephants, etc. would be an agreeable solution.

Anyone else care to add to this list? We should keep it simple for Gazza.

Bill K-

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post

Gazza
    Gazza, the users asking for simplification are not talking about stamps and know nowt about them if they are!

"based on SG"? Nooo! They are not properly so based. If they were, we would, at least have an appropriate category for almost everything (SG don't catalogue Cinderellas).

Gazza, please consider a complete, professional revamp of the stamp categories. The current bit at a time strategy is not meeting the needs of the serious stamp seller.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is getting a little complicated.

Let us know if they are required and the final list if they are.
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Newbie
    View MSSTAMPS's Feedback (+10399)
    All-About MSSTAMPS
    View MSSTAMPS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Gary

I am having the same problem as you in listing Thematic stamps. I need a lot more categorys and subjects, ie Birds, Aircraft ,Cats ,dogs etc etc. .I have tried to add my own subjects and categorys. But I have failed. This is the first time I have not be able to solve what should be a simple task or make a listing. I am still trying to solve my problem.

Alan

Forum Lurker
    View borucha's Feedback (+3013)
    All-About borucha
    View borucha's Listings
    Forum Posts

I see that the british commonwealth stamp categories have been dramatically overhauled and are excellent, i can see only the very odd category missing

alas the same cannot be said for the thematic stamp categories which still needs a major overhaul.

Gazza, any chance this could happen sooner rather than later,

many thanks for all the improvements over recent months, very impressed.
    Last edited by borucha; 4th June 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Forum Newbie
    View MrStampMan1972's Feedback (+265)
    All-About MrStampMan1972
    View MrStampMan1972's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Stamp Categories -

suddenly having a hard time downloading pictures

Thread Information