North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Help with Vintage Trim, please

Hello,

First timer on Craft and Arts

I have six lengths of vintage (?) trim I have had for ages which I would like to put up for auction. As I am not an expert, I wonder if I could have advice about how to describe them correctly. I could email a photo or two if somebody would be prepared to have a look for me. I don't know how to put a photo on here, or if it is allowed.

They have the threads from the embroidered patterns on the front running along the back, rather like the back of our embroidery, looks but neater and I don't know what the term/s for this is. Three are a ginham check pattern with embroidered daisys, another looks like quite a heavy a cotton with a scalloped edge that is sort of fringed, one is very silky with flower embroidery which glows, and one is silky with fringing, I think it is called.

I don't want to misrepresent what they are so would be really grateful for any ideas.

Thank you

Forum Saint
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Anyone, please, even if it is a no!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

No idea about trims, but I can tell you about pictures! Get yourself a free account at Photobucket, then use the IMG code to paste in here and hey-presto, pics! :-)))

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I didn't know that Kimbo! And Lesliesdaughter - they sound really pretty and unusual. Can't tell what they are by your written description, tho. You also could list them as vintage trim, and then as answers come flooding in, edit your auctions.........
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by LesliesDaughter View Post
    Hello,

I have six lengths of vintage (?) trim I have had for ages which I would like to put up for auction. As I am not an expert, I wonder if I could have advice about how to describe them correctly. I could email a photo or two if somebody would be prepared to have a look for me. I don't know how to put a photo on here, or if it is allowed.

They have the threads from the embroidered patterns on the front running along the back, rather like the back of our embroidery, looks but neater and I don't know what the term/s for this is. Three are a ginham check pattern with embroidered daisys, another looks like quite a heavy a cotton with a scalloped edge that is sort of fringed, one is very silky with flower embroidery which glows, and one is silky with fringing, I think it is called.

I don't want to misrepresent what they are so would be really grateful for any ideas.

Thank you
    Sounds like you have some 1960s 1970s type trims to me. If softer, its cotton, if shiny, rayon, if stiff, polyester. The bright colors sort of sound like the flower power type things popular then. The embroidered pieces sound like woven ribbon which can get very fancy. The loop one sounds like upholstery trim (for chairs, pillows, curtains). All of it is machine made, that is why threads are so neat. The photo will give buyers all the detail they need. It rather expensive to buy now, so sell it for a pinch below what the trim in the stores do.

Trims sell super good here, I just sold a big batch last week. I never pass older trim up when I see it at estate sales. Just take good pictures, be the eyes of the buyer ("feels crisp, feels soft") and measure it in both cm and inches. Nice closeup pictures really help too. I always list my trims in antique, textiles, lace,crochet categories. Buyers find it very fast there rather than put in sewing in the craft category.

If you should get other trims you are unsure of, and they seem older, be careful about listing them. If they are crochet, they can be worth $3+ per piece. If it is tatting, it is worth lots more.

Forum Saint
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you so much, Delta, for your very full response.

I will put them without too much about them. I'll put them under vintage because I think they probably are. Perhaps you could look at them tomorrow for me? I am sure they are not antique. I think one is French but I can't remember where I got it from, so will not use 'french' in the wording.

You have been extraordinarly helpful.

Forum Saint
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

HerMajesty,

Bows down before replying!

Thank you. I'll probably ask on the listing if anyone can message me with more info, I think. Thank you very much for your help.

Forum Saint
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Kim,

I can't help but laugh, you make it sound so easy! You know I had that trouble on the bee thread! The smoke is only just beginning to subside. I have yet to fathom the 'moving about thingies'. One day I will put a post on with a page full of animations and photos with a 'yipee!'.

Thanks again, though, Kim

Photobucket is yet another something I haven't tried but I will give it a go sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by LesliesDaughter View Post
    Hello,

Thank you

Re the trim - List each different type separately with as many pics as you can for each one, describe it as best as you can ie colour, width, length, etc and add something like - 'have a look at the photos cos I think they'll show you the detail better than I can in words' - or something to that effect. I hope that helps.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Saint
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you, Babs, that certainly helps. I am just going to make a start when I have had a cup of tea, since I have been running around, arms akimbo, shouting Whoopie-Do for the last 15 minutes. Gosh, did I need a smile on my face.

Thread Information