Thread: A chat about how YDC payments and the tally thread should work

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question A chat about how YDC payments and the tally thread should work

Morning all!

I've just been reading the tally thread, and I notice there's a few comments about people getting confused. I hope Vonz doesn't mind be being pre-emptive, but I thought I'd quickly start a chat thread about the problem, so that no more posts need to be made in the actually tally - I'm hoping this will prevent that from getting any harder to follow!

I do agree the tally can be jolly confusing sometimes, I've done several tallies and I've always taken the view that it's for the nominated charity only. Trying to put all charities in there is a more recent development and I think it's a mistake. But that's just my view.

Another new development seems to be that the organiser is starting the tally. In the past it's always been the person who nominated the charity and is, therefore, the main collector. This means they're ideally placed to coordinate payments and update the tally - I think having anybody else run it makes it unmanageable.

So, those are my two main points to kick-off discussion (and I stress, they're personal views, I'm not at all official):

Tally should be for the nominated charity only. If anybody wants to do a secondary "everything else" tally just for interest, they can.

Tally should be created and managed by the person who nominated the charity and is main payment coordinator.

I'm not suggesting these need to be hard and fast rules, just useful guidelines that the boss could suggest to the winner as part of their announcement. The duties can always be passed on by the winner to another nominee, that's what happened with me: when Borders one a few times she nominated the RNLI as the charity and I did payments and tally duties. Worked just fine.

What does everybody else think?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am not concerned who does it but do think its a good idea for people to see the TOTAL amount collected for all the charities each YDC

its a pity that Total of Totals has been allowed to lapse, or is there another one somewhere that I've missed
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    I am not concerned who does it but do think its a good idea for people to see the TOTAL amount collected for all the charities each YDC

its a pity that Total of Totals has been allowed to lapse, or is there another one somewhere that I've missed
    Agree, it's a shame...
    but
    The only one that can open that thread is Babs,
    A new thread would be good, but only if 1 thread was shown and the other deleted to avoid confusion

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Perhaps a nice round-up at the end? I just think every person posting about every charity to one thread is what's causing most of the confusion.

No reason why somebody can't copy the existing information from total of totals and restart it... Tony? ;o)

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post

No reason why somebody can't copy the existing information from total of totals and restart it... Tony? ;o)
    No way am I volunteering, but maybe you could be given admin rights to the thread.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

No way am I volunteering, but maybe you could be given admin rights to the thread.
    Now why does that sound familiar... ;o)))

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another thought... I notice that more and more people are pasting in receipts rather than just telling us what they've done. Is this a good or bad thing, do people feel?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

My views.

The prime purpose of the YDC in its current incarnation is to raise money for charity generally and not one specific charity. The 'nominated charity' is only a legacy from Yorkie's original competition. Therefore all monies raised should be declared.

There is a lot of trust involved in buying items where money is paid to a person on the understanding that it will be passed on to the declared charity; that is why I favour buyers paying to the charity directly. While it is just as easy, should anyone be so inclined, to falsify a receipt (who's going to check?) as to falsely claim a payment was made the receipt does give that bit more confidence.

I don't think it matters who does the tally but would favour the YDC organiser. I do think the tally thread should make clear that only those paying the money to a charity should post the details. If you have paid someone else who is then responsible for making payment to the charity then you should not post. So, basically, the tally thread first post could be re-worded to remove a lot of the confusion.

Another comment raised elsewhere that the YDC should be restricted to the nominated charity only is, in my view, wrong. What one person considers a worthy charity may not be universally seen as such. I, for instance, will rarely contribute to a charity that operates outside the UK. The ability to choose your own good cause opens up the YDC to more sellers - and also buyers as they have the greater choice of charities to contribute to.

If these issues are coming into being then maybe it is time to consider if the YDC (Yorkie's Daft Competition) and YDC (Your Donation Counts) should become separated things.

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

I thought that the tally thread for the nominated charity was always done by the person who nominated it ( ok Kim except for me!! but you volunteered- honest!!!!!) it does make sense to do it that way as Kim has already said. As for the other charities perhaps again the collector can do a separate tally with poor old Vonz just doing a final tally of all charities, so we can see the smashing combined total raised each month.

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

I agree that the YDC should not be restricted to the nominated charity. I'm sure all the nominated ones are good causes, but a lot of people only sell little bits and pieces that won't raise a huge amount individually, so there will be some who never get to nominate the charity of their choice.

I support the nominated charity sometimes and one of my choice at others.

As long as the proceeds go to a good cause I think people should be allowed to choose which charity they support.
    See my YDC auctions here

Thread Information