eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A chat about how YDC payments and the tally thread should work

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, just dashed in......and have to dash straight out again!
    (coffee in hand lol)

I'll be back in a few hours.....& do a catch up.

More thoughts........anyone?

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Lurker
    View mimmies's Feedback (+142)
    All-About mimmies
    View mimmies's Listings
    Forum Posts

hi i think that people post the receipts so that everyone knows without a doubt that they actually sent the money where they said they would. i personally dont find in necessary. if you do not send the money where it belongs then shame on you but i have noticed that most of the people involved are regulars to this and i trust them. besides God is witness to what we do. i know when i collect all the money i will be sending my donation. i was also thinkng that all the chariites are good causes but this particluar contest? (for lack of a better term) was set up to promote one charity a month. there is nothing stopping anyone from starting new threads to promote all charities they feel strongly about. my personal charity is Breast Cancer Awareness but i supported the charity of the month to try to focus on one and raise as much money as possible for that one. Again that is just my opinon so i have to agree with Kim
    thanks for listening
    hope you all have a great selling day
    http://mimmies-flea-market.ebid.net
    http://mimmies-baseball-cards.ebid.net
    http://mimmies-70s-80s-vinyl.ebid.net
    Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Another thought... I notice that more and more people are pasting in receipts rather than just telling us what they've done. Is this a good or bad thing, do people feel?

I pasted a copy of the confirmation this time as it was requested, but as you say the charity auctions are based on trust. I don't think it hurts to paste a copy of the receipt onto the forum though.
    See my YDC auctions here

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    If these issues are coming into being then maybe it is time to consider if the YDC (Yorkie's Daft Competition) and YDC (Your Donation Counts) should become separated things.
    I don't think there are any "issues" at the moment, it all seems very friendly and successful. There's just a wee bit of confusion about how the tally works, that it might be nice to clear up.

I don't really know what you mean about splitting YDC - but would be against any significant changes just when it's all working so beautifully.

I do agree that restricting it to the nominated charity would be a mistake - as you say, not everybody supports every charity. I think we might have discussed and rejected that one last go around. And like I say, it's all going well, let's not rock the boat!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I don't really know what you mean about splitting YDC - but would be against any significant changes just when it's all working so beautifully.
    I mean the purely fund raising part and the competition part that gives rise to the nominated charity. This is what I took you to be referring to in your OP (and also raised by others in other threads) as the cause of the confusion. If the YDC is all about fund raising then tallys should be for all. If the YDC is all about the competition part and the resultant nominated charity then some form of distinction between the two aspects needs to be made.

Does that make sense? Maybe not - my head is not back where it should be yet.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree, I don't think we have any major issues, just a couple of little wrinkles that could do with smoothing out (a bit like me really pmsl).

We certainly don't want to be creating any "rules" per se ......just applying a little thought.

First part: The Tally Thread.
    The combined "tally thread" was born out of necessity really, many charities were being "left behind", and not featuring in the totals at all. I believe that people are proud (and rightly so) of their efforts, and that it should be published for all to see.
    YDC79 supported no less than 17 charities (+ a few more that weren't forwarded to the thread).
    I personally wouldn't like to see umpteen threads started for each & every good cause.
    It's far more impressive to see "the collective effort" in one place.

Collecting for the "nominated" charity is a nightmare in itself (I know, i've done it lol), so I see it as a little light relief if that same person dosn't have to keep the tally thread going as well iykwim.
    (As always though, this is open for discussion and suggestions).

However, what we really do need on the thread, is CLARITY, where only actual payments made to the charities are posted. Then it will be up to that "poster" to give appreciation to their "buyers / senders", within that post (hope that makes sense lol). I'll look at re-wording the first post to that effect. Please feel free to pm me with suggested text.

Second Part: The Nominated Charity
    By their very nature, YDC'ers are the most generous people I know!
    But, like everyone else, we all have a finite limit on our generosity.
    Many people care passionately about one particular charity, and are prepared to support that charity to the tune of £x per month. YDC gives the opportunity to be able to do just that, & support whichever charity you choose......... I don't think that should ever change.
    Charitable giving is about "freedom of choice".

I'll return to Part Three (collections) tomorrow - it's late, & I need some shut-eye lol

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Vonz, that all seems eminently sensible. No quibbles here.

Thread Information