eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: More Visibilty for my Stamp Shop

Forum Newbie
    View Bigswiv's Feedback (+1825)
    All-About Bigswiv
    View Bigswiv's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default More Visibility for my Stamp Shop

I have been with Ebid for a few years and although sales have been slow they have been steady during that period.

I have nearly 800 items on offer in my shop and although I receive views the sales do not reflect these as I would hope. I do add new items when time permits and would probably add more if the sales were better. Can anyone suggest ways of improving the visibility of my shop.

Cheers,
    Steve

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=...wiv-stamp-shop
    Last edited by Bigswiv; 19th August 2010 at 01:22 PM.

I think you need to add the word "stamp" and the catalog number to your titles. A collector looking for a specific stamp is likely to search for something like this: "1960 Greece Stamp #672". They don't have to be in that order, but all four keywords should be in the title.

Tia is correct. You should identify your stamps by Catalog #. Since I am in the U.S., all stamps in our main store are identified with Scott Catalog #s. You could do the same or use the Stanley Gibbons #s.

For example, you list - Germany 1957 Hertz Birth Centenary Fine Used, in your store. Using Scott Catalog #s, I would list the items as -

Germany 762, Hertz Birth Centenary, F, NG

This would give your buyers, and Google search an idea of where the stamp is from, it's Scott catalog #, and the stamp condition.

Then within the item description, you should restate: Germany 762, Hertz Birth Centenary, F, NG. Issued 1957, image of Heinrich Hertz, light green and black, perf. 14, cancelled.

With the above, you are giving Google search robots much material to identify your item., and place it within a search.

Here is an example of a listing at our store - Russia 3075-77, Trade Union Spartacist Games, VF, MNH

Now, do as many stamp buyers do, search for Russia 3075-77

I hope this helps.

Default Re: More Visibility for my Stamp Shop

We are growing at a steady pace now, so now is the time to promote yourself and your stamps. Do you use Plug yur Auctions? Also I post on ebid's facebook almost everyday promoting some piece of my glassware or art glass. Post once a day if you can promoting your stamps as a group or if you come across an exiting stamp put it on ebid's facebook page. It is new, but getting more viewers everyday. It only takes that one person to see your stamps and they tell their friends and you are on your way.

Good luck with your sales.

http://us.ebid.net/perl/account.cgi?...nding&start=75

I am hazelyes767

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Each and every offering of Stamps should Always list the YEAR along with the Catalog number.
    No Year... I walk on by.

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hazeleyes767 View Post
    We are growing at a steady pace now, so now is the time to promote yourself and your stamps. Do you use Plug yur Auctions? Also I post on ebid's facebook almost everyday promoting some piece of my glassware or art glass. Post once a day if you can promoting your stamps as a group or if you come across an exiting stamp put it on ebid's facebook page. It is new, but getting more viewers everyday. It only takes that one person to see your stamps and they tell their friends and you are on your way.

Good luck with your sales.

http://us.ebid.net/perl/account.cgi?...nding&start=75 <<< "Does Not work.. to a wrong store it goes."

I am hazelyes767
    Your Link... "Does Not work.. to a wrong store it goes."

I'm a novice on eBid, but there there some things I am learning...

For google searches-- the NAME of your store (which becomes a unique URL), as well as those 250-odd characters of description are VERY important. I've been tweaking what to say... and seem to have gotten to page one of google searches on many of the terms people would use to find Swedish stamps (my primary store, for the moment). For example... "Classic Australian Stamps" is a good store name... "Bob's Attic" is NOT. At least for visibility purposes...

With listings (this is a holdover from other sites) meaningful titles, and beginnings to descriptions. Country, year... and most used catalogue number. If you sell German stamps, use Michel. If you sell French stamps, use Yvert... etc. Stamp collectors live worldwide, and most of the collectors of any given country will live in that country... it doesn't matter where YOU live. I have been trying "neutral" listings (year, country, description)... but I think I need to change that.

Start your description with what your stamp is. DO NOT start your description with your shipping terms, or some glowing prose about your listings/store in general. That stuff is important... but google looks from the top of a document down, when assigning "relevance."

Still learning the finer details of this.

Cheers,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Cancelcollector View Post

With listings (this is a holdover from other sites) meaningful titles, and beginnings to descriptions. Country, year... and most used catalogue number. If you sell German stamps, use Michel. If you sell French stamps, use Yvert... etc. Stamp collectors live worldwide, and most of the collectors of any given country will live in that country... it doesn't matter where YOU live. I have been trying "neutral" listings (year, country, description)... but I think I need to change that.

As I said before, I think the catalog number is an essential bit of information in the title. Your suggestion to use Michel, Yvert, or Stanley Gibbons numbers, though, may not be practical. We are in the U.S., and most of the foreign stamps we've sold have been to U.S. buyers. They expect and use the Scott catalog number.

In addition, the only way I could get these numbers would be to invest in all those catalogs. The expense would be way too high.

Forum Newbie
    View turnagain20's Feedback (+583)
    All-About turnagain20
    View turnagain20's Listings
    Forum Posts

With respect Tias Treasures it is not essential for you to buy all the Stanley Gibbons catalogues, what I tend to do, to save money, is to buy older second hand cat from auctions etc then use the site shown below to get up-to-date valuations.
    This listing takes you the SG valuation site/ catalogues [not the latest GB though unfortunately}.
    Even if you do not have the SG No, if you know the approx date of issue you should be able to find the CV of the stamp. The link below should take you to the good old US of A:

http://www.allworldstamps.com/country_list.asp?cid=241

PS Tia, I note that on another entry you mention 'stamp forum' sites. I would appriciate a ref to these sites as I am always after info.

Regards Tony
    turnagain20
    http://turnagain20-store.ebid.net/
    Last edited by turnagain20; 28th June 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Thread Information