Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To synopsis or not to synopsis.. that is the question

Default To synopsis or not to synopsis.. that is the question

Do prospective buyers like to read a brief synopsis (or the brief story outline you find on the back cover of books) before buying? or would the title be enough to decide if they want to buy the book or not? I am referring to romance books here.. mills and boon, historical, paranormal and etc etc.

I personally prefer to read what the book is about. It also means that I might not buy it if it doesn't rock my boat.... so that also means losing a potential sale. I usually shy away from title only listings or i might go and google the title for more description but than that's more work on my part. I know a lot of book sellers on feebay don't provide the description which is probably why they have more books listed as its very time consuming to type everything in.

Would like to find out what other people think or do.

View foxescome's Feedback (+2076)
    All-About foxescome
    View foxescome's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do prospective buyers like to read a brief synopsis (or the brief story outline you find on the back cover of books) before buying?

Yep, never bought a book that I haven't read back cover
    Irene

For Everything a Girl Could Want
    Skincare, Perfumes, Purses & Handbags.

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Reeniay-Girls

I

I simply cheat
    I take a picture of the cover and then one of the synopsis, saves loads of time

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like a synopsis - I can't always remember if I've read a book based just on the title or cover, I need a few more clues!

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    I simply cheat
    Never thought of doing back cover, never to old to learn something.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I like a synopsis - I can't always remember if I've read a book based just on the title or cover, I need a few more clues!
    Abso-LUT-ly! I give thorough a synopsis on all the books in my store. Like you, I need more clues, too!

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    I simply cheat

I did that once... but if you take two photos.. one of the front and one of the back cover (description) than you have to pay for the extra photo in the listing... also I started to get all the photos muddled up and it was taking up too much storage space. I then tried to open the book so i could take one of both the front and back together.. but that damages the book, especially if its almost new. So i went back to square one again and started typing the whole thing in. But it is so time consuming and I am beginning to suffer from RSI.

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Abso-LUT-ly! I give thorough a synopsis on all the books in my store. Like you, I need more clues, too!
    ummm. your cookbooks are making me hungry !!!

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I prefer the synopsis. Unless I already know what book I am after, I'm much more likely to buy one that catches my eye from an interesting synopsis, than a total unknown. Doesn't matter if it's romance (which I rarely/never read) or historical fiction or bio or history or science or art..........whatever........I, like many readers, am tempted by words.................(ok - somebody jump in here and make a wisecrack.....)
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by mrswilliam View Post
    I did that once... but if you take two photos.. one of the front and one of the back cover (description) than you have to pay for the extra photo in the listing... also I started to get all the photos muddled up and it was taking up too much storage space. I then tried to open the book so i could take one of both the front and back together.. but that damages the book, especially if its almost new. So i went back to square one again and started typing the whole thing in. But it is so time consuming and I am beginning to suffer from RSI.
    No you don't you get up to 5 photos free.

I will only buy from a seller, with no synopsis (& no gallery photo for that matter), if it's one I really want & I cannot find another copy of.

As a book buyer I'm getting more & more fedup with lazy sellers (on all sites, not just eBid) who cannot be bothered to give information.
    Or give a totally useless description.
    gd cnd.
    I expect to see a synopsis, especially as some books have a different title in the US & UK,
    it's all too easy to buy one you've already got.

For a secondhand book, I expect to see a photo, so I can SEE the condition.

For those who just put in the ISBN number & expect me to look it up,
    if doing so brings up a cheaper copy, or one in a better condition for the price, well that's a sale
    YOU'VE lost.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 1st August 2010 at 02:58 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information