Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unhelpful description

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Unhelpful description

Just looking at an item* and the condition is described as "consistent with age and usage". Since neither the age, nor its use has been given, what should one assume? I'm assuming "appallingly tatty but I don't want to say so". ;o)

*Not offered by anybody I've ever seen on the forums, so no I'm not talking about *you*. ;o)

it all depends on the item... or more to the point the photo of the item...

a guilded cup dateing from (say) the 1960's and used every day would be "well used" with hardly any guilding left on it... a postcard posted in 1902 could still be in a very good condition...

without more details on what the item is it is very hard to know what is meant by "consistent with age and usage".

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds like a description of me. Someone trying to sell me?

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    it all depends on the item... or more to the point the photo of the item...

a guilded cup dateing from (say) the 1960's and used every day would be "well used" with hardly any guilding left on it... a postcard posted in 1902 could still be in a very good condition...

without more details on what the item is it is very hard to know what is meant by "consistent with age and usage".
    I don't want to get specific, since I don't want it to be possible to identify the particular listing - that wouldn't be fair on the seller since I'm taking the mickey! :-)

I think for *any* item, if you don't say what age the thing is, and you don't say what use it has been put to in it's life so far, then describing its condition as "consistent with age and usage" is remarkably unhelpful.

when it comes to age there is a possability that the seller does not know the age....

a point in case was a Titanic postcard I sold the other week.... it looked like a 1930's card but was posted in 1974... I really could not date the card, as it could have been an old card that they found and was used in 1974 or it could have been a "new" repro card... (and not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I know about postcards, but both Pam and I were "stummped" on the age of that card :-O )

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

when it comes to age there is a possability that the seller does not know the age....

a point in case was a Titanic postcard I sold the other week.... it looked like a 1930's card but was posted in 1974... I really could not date the card, as it could have been an old card that they found and was used in 1974 or it could have been a "new" repro card... (and not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I know about postcards, but both Pam and I were "stummped" on the age of that card :-O )
    So you would happily describe that card as being in a condition "consistent with its age", despite not knowing what age it was? There must be some reason why you're arguing that this particular black is white beyond "it's me saying it". ;o) and indeed *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    There must be some reason why you're arguing that this particular black is white beyond "it's me saying it". ;o) and indeed *grin*

would I do that with you ;-) as it happens I put "the card looks older than the date sent, but will leave it to the buyer to decide"

btw I see you put colour grey but it shows as lime green on my computer... is it my monitor or is the code showing wrong

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

would I do that with you ;-) as it happens I put "the card looks older than the date sent, but will leave it to the buyer to decide"
    As I thought. :-)
    btw I see you put colour grey but it shows as lime green on my computer... is it my monitor or is the code showing wrong
    I think there's a scr, er mix-up with the current version of the forum beween named colours and RGB codes - you're probably seeing the nearest RGB interpretation of "grey".

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    As I thought. :-)
    Seriously though... without knowning just what we are talking about (and I can see your reason for not saying what the item is) it is very hard to comment on the "consistent with age and usage". Is there a photo, does it look old, does it look "well used" etc etc

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seriously though... without knowning just what we are talking about (and I can see your reason for not saying what the item is) it is very hard to comment on the "consistent with age and usage". Is there a photo, does it look old, does it look "well used" etc etc
    You're missing the point, I think. If the description of the condition said "see photos", that would be a different scenario, and not one I'd have a problem with. Yes, there are pics, yes I can see the condition (it's lousy), what's that got to do with the point being made? "Consistent with age and usage" is meaningless without knowing "age" and "usage", full stop.

How's Nige looking these days?
    Not bad when you consider how old he is, and what he's been up to.
    Oh, how old is he then?
    No idea?
    Then what's he been up to?
    Not a clue.
    er... right.

Thread Information