eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any point in listing penny books?

I am willing to pay more for a book on here or from the dark side rather than buying on Amazon as I only spend what I have in my paypal account.

Not everyone has lots of local charity shops to buy books from. My nearest town is around 9 miles away and has only one charity shop which is only open during the morning. The next nearest town with charity shops is at least 25 miles away and they never have any I want.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxinesbookshop View Post
    Large sellers have a PPI account with Royal Mail. Not only does it give them preferential rates but it works by calculating the total weight of the day's posting divided by the number of items sent, and paying for the average.
    Doh! Of course. Considering one of the areas I worked in when I was in IT was Royal Mail sorting for preferential rate deliveries, you might think that would occur to me! Thank you.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leadhillsonline View Post
    I am willing to pay more for a book on here or from the dark side rather than buying on Amazon as I only spend what I have in my paypal account.

Not everyone has lots of local charity shops to buy books from. My nearest town is around 9 miles away and has only one charity shop which is only open during the morning. The next nearest town with charity shops is at least 25 miles away and they never have any I want.
    I really don't think there are enough of you to make it a viable business move, but I'll be interested to hear from sellers who are having luck with 1p paperbacks here. As I said at the top, it's never seemed worth it to me, and I have done the occasional test batch, that's not just guesswork.

The penny thing on Amazon, always seems a bit arbitrary to me.

I could understand if it was just for the sort of thing that you find in every charity store, but sometimes it includes books that are not particularly easy to find.

So I don't think it's a totally reliable means of deciding what to list.

As you know I have 7 or 8 charity shops just in my road, & probably well over 100 in a 10 mile radius of here, but I still struggle to find something I want to read in them.

I also don't buy many secondhand books from Amazon, I resent paying full postage for each one.

I do like buying from here because most of the booksellers have a sensible multiple item postage policy, the only downside is there is still not enough choice.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 30th June 2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I really don't think there are enough of you to make it a viable business move, but I'll be interested to hear from sellers who are having luck with 1p paperbacks here. As I said at the top, it's never seemed worth it to me, and I have done the occasional test batch, that's not just guesswork.
    Yes, but a so called 1p book on Amazon with postage comes out at £2.76 and nine times out of ten I can undercut them and do on here and elsewhere, starting with a higher price but with realistic postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

I do like buying from here because most of the booksellers have a sensible multiple item postage policy, the only downside is there is still not enough choice.
    Very true, maybe one day there will be loads of fantasy books on here.

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

If you can buy books at £75 per tonne, and you have enough stock to sell at least 100 per week, and you have the sort of account on other sites which give you negligible fees if you sell books at a penny each, then go ahead on one of those sites. If not then list them on Ebid at a low price, but don't bump up the postage charge to make up for this; buyers are likely to be put off by this. Sales will be slow in any case; I haven't got enough books to test the 'the more you list the more you sell' theory, has anyone found out if this works?

keep an eye on my stuff. I do have fantasy books but too many to list all at once....always assuming you want romantic fantasy.

my-books.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by mrswilliam View Post
    keep an eye on my stuff. I do have fantasy books but too many to list all at once....always assuming you want romantic fantasy.

my-books.ebid.net
    Sorry don't really read romance, the few I have listed were inherited.

I mean Fantasy as in Swords, Dragons, Magic, etc.
    plus of course Sci-Fi.

The problem both Leadhillsonlie & I have is that we each own a very large number of books already. So it's no good me saying I want to buy books by an author, because I will only want certain ones, as I already own the others.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

The problem both Leadhillsonline & I have is that we each own a very large number of books already. So it's no good me saying I want to buy books by an author, because I will only want certain ones, as I already own the others.
    Very true and one day I may even manage to get them all onto book shelves and out of boxes.

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

My nearest charity shop is a 15 mile round trip, so will only take if I'm going in that direction which doesn't happen very often. Hubby and I have sorted through them all, anything in excellent condition/collectable will eventually find it's way on to ebid, everything else will go in a box outside my house for passers by to have for free. When we eventually sell the house, whatevers left will go to a charity shop as no point in moving a load of clutter.
    Kay

Fenland Cards - greeting cards for anyone

The Motoring Gift Company

- Enjoying time out in our Morris Minor

Live Long & Prosper

Join ebid HERE

Thread Information