eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Flaxman Opaque China

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Flaxman Opaque China

I bought a lovely soup plate today. At least, I think it's a soup plate! A shallow dish the size of a good dinner plate. Blue and white china, gold rim, and Flaxman Opaque China on the base. I'd tell you the rest, but if I turn it upside down I'd get covered in balsamic. ;o)

Not bought to sell, but to use - as the above hints this picture of my lunch proves!

Can anybody tell me anything about it? I don't imagine it's rare or anything, so don't think I'm angling! It's a keeper. (o:

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Rest of base stamp reads: S.H&S England Rd No 479163

Forum Newbie
    All-About waterox7373
    View waterox7373's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Flaxman Opaque China

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I bought a lovely soup plate today. At least, I think it's a soup plate! A shallow dish the size of a good dinner plate. Blue and white china, gold rim, and Flaxman Opaque China on the base. I'd tell you the rest, but if I turn it upside down I'd get covered in balsamic. ;o)

Not bought to sell, but to use - as the above hints this picture of my lunch proves!

Can anybody tell me anything about it? I don't imagine it's rare or anything, so don't think I'm angling! It's a keeper. (o:

Its Transferware china made by Sampson Hancock & Sons , England primarily for export. The company registered the pattern in 1906 from what I can find the pattern was made thru 1914 and some say 1920 or after the company closed in 1937. I started to collect pieces about 6 months ago. I have 6 Dinner plates, 2 Berry Bowls, 3 Soup bowls /Soup Plate (like the one you have), and a Covered Vegetable Tureen in the flow blue. And a large set in the green version same pattern and hallmarks almost 12 place settings and serving pieces, they also make polychrome pieces as well.
    As for value its not the well sought after early flow blue stuff like Adams, J. Clementson ect. from the 1840's but I like it. I would be glad to share anything else I know if you have any questions. Enjoy your Soup Plate! If you ever did wanted to sell it I am always looking to add to what I have at a fair price.
    Ryan

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Flaxman Opaque China

Quote Originally Posted by waterox7373 View Post
    Its Transferware china made by Sampson Hancock & Sons , England primarily for export. The company registered the pattern in 1906 from what I can find the pattern was made thru 1914 and some say 1920 or after the company closed in 1937. I started to collect pieces about 6 months ago. I have 6 Dinner plates, 2 Berry Bowls, 3 Soup bowls /Soup Plate (like the one you have), and a Covered Vegetable Tureen in the flow blue. And a large set in the green version same pattern and hallmarks almost 12 place settings and serving pieces, they also make polychrome pieces as well.
    As for value its not the well sought after early flow blue stuff like Adams, J. Clementson ect. from the 1840's but I like it. I would be glad to share anything else I know if you have any questions. Enjoy your Soup Plate! If you ever did wanted to sell it I am always looking to add to what I have at a fair price.
    Ryan
    Very interesting, thanks. I won't be selling it, I use it constantly. Probably at least twice a week since I posted back in June. Love it.

Thread Information