Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: New or Refurbished or Factory Refurbished?

View aftech's Feedback (+493)
    All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question New or Refurbished or Factory Refurbished?

When buying a computer, do you incline more towards new computers or refurbished or factory refurbished?
    I'm typing on my factory refurbished laptop which I have for about 2 years and I'm completely satisfied. What about you?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

My laptop started life new, but it's had a refurb keyboard put in since then. I would normally buy new to get the up-to-date spec, but can't see the point in paying for new parts to bolt onto an old machine.

with the hammering our desktop computers get we tend to buy top of the range... replaceing one of them every two years or there abouts (so at most one computer will be 4 years(ish) old) by which time it is so out of date it's not worth "fidderling" with it.... the only thing that will get replaced is Pams keyboard as she seems to wear the letters off of it evey 6 to 9 months.... (where as mine has outlasted 2 computers now)

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

bykimbo,
    you buy new to get the up-to-date spec? The specs are not different when buying a refurb computer. Only (usually) less warranty and lower price.

somersethedge,
    so what's your position on the subject?

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aftech View Post
    bykimbo,
    you buy new to get the up-to-date spec? The specs are not different when buying a refurb computer. Only (usually) less warranty and lower price.

somersethedge,
    so what's your position on the subject?
    I understood refurbished to mean an older machine that had been cleaned and rebuilt, is that not what you meant?

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I understood refurbished to mean an older machine that had been cleaned and rebuilt, is that not what you meant?
    I see...we talk English but not the same language Refurbished computers are the ones that are returned by customer due to various reasons like buyer changed his mind or box was torn, etc. Then either the manufacturer or the seller will test them, fix them if necessary, and make sure they perform the same as new ones. They come usually with less warranty than the new units but are sold at much lower prices so they introduce great value.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aftech View Post
    I see...we talk English but not the same language Refurbished computers are the ones that are returned by customer due to various reasons like buyer changed his mind or box was torn, etc. Then either the manufacturer or the seller will test them, fix them if necessary, and make sure they perform the same as new ones. They come usually with less warranty than the new units but are sold at much lower prices so they introduce great value.
    Ah yes, quite a different scenario. I'm not overly fussed about warranties, so wouldn't have a problem with buying that sort of item. Though I tend to just go to my manufacturer of choice and specify what I need - so it would require a bit more thought and effort on my part to purchase. I'm generally quite happy buying second-hand stuff, so no reason why I couldn't apply that next time I need a pooter. Thanks for planting the thought. (o:

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

You're welcome. The big idea is that refurbished or factory refurbished computers can save us a lot of money. I personally prefer factory refurbished over seller refurbished but it's my preference. As long as warranty is present, it should be fine.

Forum Newbie
    View Tinkersink's Feedback (+3)
    All-About Tinkersink
    View Tinkersink's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am sorry but I gotta say what people have a tendency or no ill say company's have a tendency to place the hardware in those systems to the max if the board is designed to do 3.2ghz they will have it do that but in reality they never run as good or fault out due to the pressure of the tasks buying late in a models shelf time usually is the best option most of the time inside these systems is the next gen board that they are testing for stability and to cut costs they use the old level chips and memory and new board allowing you to be more stable over time exactly what time ie when it comes out, you buy your machine is kinda in the air but how smart your purchess is. will see you though.

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a refurbished laptop for like 2 years and it has been and is working great since I bought it. We have sold many refurbished laptops (among new ones) and owners are extremely happy. Saying manufacturers take refurbished items and put faulty components in them is stereotype. They come with warranty so the manufacturer has to correct problems anyway.

Thread Information