My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What am i doing wrong?

Cool What am i doing wrong?

Hi everyone. I really need some wisdom on my Christian used book site. My prices are good, and my postage is better than most. Yet....not a single sale or question on my 360 items since I posted six weeks ago. Any wisdom out there? Brian
    Last edited by TANGRAMATON; 26th May 2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: missing words.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi there,

Here are some tips for you.

1. Google have recently made it a rule not use all upper case in listing titles and will not be accepted in the Google shopping list, so change all of your titles to lower case, for example: HOPE HAS IT'S REASONS (REBECCA MANLEY PIPPERT) change to Hope Has It's Reasons - Rebecca Manley Pippert
    2. Try not to use unnecessary symbols and use the space available wisely.
    3. Again, change your descriptions to lower case, as Google will not accept them. And also, older eyes, like mine, find it very hard to read all uppercase text.
    4. You state that you will combine postage on all items. Reduced shipping costs on combined purchases? Or just combine the total shipping with no discount? Be specific by what you mean.

If you want exposure, I suggest you take heed of those 2 tips I've given you.

That should keep you busy for a while.

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agree with Jan's reply OP. I visited your listings and also found that you are not making use of all 55 spaces available for your listing titles. Make good use of that feature, it will help you get better exposure.

With that said, one thing I noticed was your use of item condition. In many of your listings you state "unused", but down in your description you state "condition very good"...it can't be both.

Take jeweleffect's suggestion of changing your listing titles to upper/lower case...it will better your chances with Google for sure...best of luck to you!!

I got replies!!!! Thank you so much. As for the use of all caps, that is just plain laziness, so good point, hope it works. As for "Unused" and saying it was in very good condition. I was trying to make a distinction between "New" which would be completely unmarked, and "Unused" as small marks but not having the usual elements of used book. But I'm making that up in my head without really thinking too much about it, thanks for you reply, Brian

Of course you did. We never ignore newbies!! Welcome to ebid!

I second what the ladies say, don't do everything in CAPS. You are not getting traffic because of it. Most of our sales come from google, that is what google wants.

Also, it is exhausting to go thru 300+ items in your one store with no sub categories at all. Consider dividing into maybe 5 or 6 sub cats, self help, philosophy, history, etc.

Consider opening other stores for the DVDs and CDs or whatever, if you are planning to list more of them (good idea for google searches, the more you list the more you sell). The 5 stores are free, why not use them to organize your items.

Also consider adding related items to round out your selections of items. i.e. if you added religious cards you would draw in the card people who would look at your books and cds.

Expand the descriptions. Google and ebid uses those for searches. Having more info means that the buyer looking for a special song on a CD will find it if you list the songs in the description. Google sellers are pretty savy and want lots of info anyway. i.e. for CD, song list, date recorded, something about the group etc.

As you noticed, here you will get much few questions. But bad news is that if buyer has a question about listing, they tend to just move on. Best to be complete.

Clarify discount. Don't just say you give one, spell it out "shipping on 2nd items 50% off".

Consider a multiple discount, buyers here love to buy more if you make it worth their while.

Consider having a sale, that is good for sales too. Announce in your banner "June sale, 10% all DVD sets" and add "2nd items ship 50% off". Potential buyers will know the exact cost of what they are buying.

Our buyers come from google, ebid, old feebay buyers, and our own marketing. On feebay they came from only one source and we tended to alter our listings, etc, to cater to them. Now you have to alter things to appeal to this wider group of people.

Someone is always here to help you.

Thread Information