eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Contentious question about YDC

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    An interesting discussion and I have to say I honestly don't know what would be best.

A mixture of fun and serious items seems to have a wide appeal. I try to select the items I auction for YDC with care and always try to find something attractive and desirable - but I do try to find something that doesn't cost too much for me to buy and with inexpensive postage. I would be concerned about listing something more valuable in case it didn't raise as much as I had hoped - or indeed close to what had been paid for it.

I was disappointed (and said so at the time) that the national BCC campaign we joined didn't bring in more bidders from "outside." I had been planning to list a hand made lap quilt for those auctions but when I saw that it was only the usual extremely generous eBidders who bought the items listed in the first week (and also listed items for sale) I decided against listing it because I would have been disappointed if it hadn't raised £30 for the cause (at least) but thought it was unfair to expect the usual YDC bidders to pay that much and support the YDC auctions at either end of the BCC ones as well.

There are also, obviously, some items like the cookbook and the Xmas quilt which will only attract bids from those who know the people who contributed so will not appeal to "outside" folks.
    That is exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post

but you said it so much better than I did

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

View foxescome's Feedback (+2076)
    All-About foxescome
    View foxescome's Listings
    Forum Posts

Very interesting discussion, thanks Kim for starting it..

Whilst I haven't really joined in properly with the YDC, only made a few bids, I do love reading the thread for the charity listings, you all make me laugh I would at some time like to add a few bits for sale but listing different things is my pet hate, I can never think of good descriptions

I was interested to read what Smiffy said about this..

I was disappointed (and said so at the time) that the national BCC campaign we joined didn't bring in more bidders from "outside

It is along the lines of what I have been thinking about & wondered if it had ever been done, well know I know!

Do you think that now eBid is 'getting around a bit' something like this might be worth considering? I know it would take some organising & hopefully G & M would participate in that along with a few capable members. It could make good advertising for eBid and of course the sellers.

I would certainly be willing to donate an item from my stock whereas I wouldn't necessarily put £30 in a donation box As for it not getting the price I think it deserved well I would just accept that and be pleased that someone got a bargain and charity benefitted somehow

That's my half 'apence worth
    Irene

For Everything a Girl Could Want
    Skincare, Perfumes, Purses & Handbags.

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Reeniay-Girls

I

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I'm expecting this to make the sparks fly... but please bear in mind it's a *question*, okay?

Do you think we may be doing more harm than good having all the cheap and cheerful items on the YDC?

Why do I ask... well, I've just had a non-ebidder who uses other sites a lot ask about YDC. I explained, gave him links etc. His response was that he didn't think he'd bother to bid for 25p sweets with 85p postage (I don't know if I've remembered those amounts right and didn't ask which item it was he'd been looking at). I explained the sweets were rather an in-joke and we all piled in out of fun rather than a need to buy.

Now, that's an interesting point, isn't it?

As long as we have a lot of fun items, with cheap prices and jokey titles we're only going to sell them to each other, aren't we? Or are we?

If we want YDC to spread further afield do we need to have a higher ratio of "normal" items sold with meaningful titles, to draw in Joe Public?

I don't know. And I certainly wouldn't want YDC to be less fun than it is. But in the end... it's the charities and what they gain that matters most, isn't it?

I think this might provoke strong responses, but that's not why I'm asking - be grateful if you'd remember that, and count to ten before claiming I'm trying to wreck the YDC.

What's best for YDC and the charities?

What do you all think?

An interesting discussion opener. Its one of the things I was trying to put on an open table for discussion along with any rule changes earlier on this year and got slammed for it, hense no rule changes.

The YDC is a success - we all know that. It is the faithfulness of the 'regulars' that have made it the success that it is. For the YDC to grow further IMHO it does need to have support from outside the usual players - fresh blood so to speak. How to go about it I have no idea, which is why I was coming up with different ideas on new players, new ways to nominate the winners, etc to try to provoke peoples thoughts. I understand that with all successful things there is always a dilema when it comes to changes of any description, but sometimes if change doesn't take place, things stagnate and become 'same old same old' and people loose interest.

Good luck in your task
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabsnRay View Post

Good luck in your task
    I don't have a task. I've just asked the question, because I'm interested in the potential answers, and I like to see things like this being talked about rather than just ignored. And I'm nosey.

What, if anything, comes of it... *shrug* dunno Missus, but let's see.

I think it should stay as it is. The YDC is a fundraising effort by the KT members. The mix of serious and fun items makes it interesting and the pimping thread is great fun to follow.
    It's true that bidding and selling is largely restricted to the forum regulars, but I think in a way that makes it more worthwhile - it's a group of dedicated people who are willing to give up some of their time and money on a regular basis to raise some funds for charity.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've started mentioning the YDC on facebook and I have seen at least one other member doing it as well *looking at one particular one on this thread* .

So all you peeps out there on facebook - advertise eBid.

It really works (not just for fund raising).
    I ended up making a sale from a facebook member who was looking for a particular jewelry item and I obliged and got busy making said item and sold it here on eBid.

x

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    All good points. And thank you all for taking the question the way it's intended... just as a discussion point!

Perhaps the basic point is: do we want to attract outsiders into the YDC, or do we like keeping it as an in-house thing? I think I'd assumed it was intended as a flag-waving exercise for ebid, as well as it's fun and fund-raising benefits. That's why I always put so much effort into promoting it outside the forums. I'm beginning to think I'm missing the point there!
    If I am getting your point....am I right in thinking that you believe that having search engine friendly titles for our YDC auctions would bring in non ebidding people who would perhaps bid on those same auctions because they would find them through a regular search??

I have been promoting the YDC on my websites and on Facebook...but I think the jokey titles kind of hide what is on sale as not many people would search for 'A little light relief' when wanting to buy low energy light bulbs, for instance.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    If I am getting your point....am I right in thinking that you believe that having search engine friendly titles for our YDC auctions would bring in non ebidding people who would perhaps bid on those same auctions because they would find them through a regular search??

I have been promoting the YDC on my websites and on Facebook...but I think the jokey titles kind of hide what is on sale as not many people would search for 'A little light relief' when wanting to buy low energy light bulbs, for instance.
    Yes, that is one of the points I was making, spot* on.

*Spot. Lights. Geddit? Oh, suit yourselves.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with moonwitch and bykimbo.

Titles really do need to be relevant and to the point if an outsider is to find your charity listing (and any other listing as well).

I understand the fun factor when putting in humorous titles but if you really really really want more interested outside people to find you..... then........ proper factual titles are needed. sowwy

x

Just throw this in.

I've not done too many YDC auctions this year. but of the ones I have done I have had at least a dozen new bidders (yet to see on the forums). Without checking back through at least 3 of them won a YDC auction.

I have not changed my YDC listing style.

Thread Information