Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: problems with shipping calculator

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Afraid we are at the mercy of the USPS programmers. We are feeding them the correct data and they are giving us back incorrect prices. They have been notified. We will nudge them again soon if nothing is heard back.

Gazza
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    The problem is with the results USPS are sending us back when we request the price. They are sending back a price that doesnt reflect the price they show on their own website.

We've contacted them about this.

Gazza
    So, has this been fixed???????????

I wasn't aware of this problem until I saw this post today. We have quite a few items where we offer both Priority and Parcel Post, also some where we offer Priority and First Class. One of the things I don't like is that we have to charge for the shipping container on Parcel Post and First Class, but Priority Mail packages are free and would have a lower handling charge if that were possible. I seem to remember the same problem on our former site.

The only solution is to allow a different handling fee and shipping container for each shipping option. It sounds as though that would also solve the problem you're having.

Might be a pretty big programming project, though . . .

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for USPS to help, either. I've contacted them (through their website) with questions in the past and the results were not wonderful. Their rules and regulations are becoming convoluted beyond belief and the clerks at our local PO office sometimes seem as confused as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I wasn't aware of this problem until I saw this post today. We have quite a few items where we offer both Priority and Parcel Post, also some where we offer Priority and First Class. One of the things I don't like is that we have to charge for the shipping container on Parcel Post and First Class, but Priority Mail packages are free and would have a lower handling charge if that were possible. I seem to remember the same problem on our former site.

The only solution is to allow a different handling fee and shipping container for each shipping option. It sounds as though that would also solve the problem you're having.

Might be a pretty big programming project, though . . .

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for USPS to help, either. I've contacted them (through their website) with questions in the past and the results were not wonderful. Their rules and regulations are becoming convoluted beyond belief and the clerks at our local PO office sometimes seem as confused as I am.
    The problem occurs when dimensional size enters the picture. I think the problem is the way ebid is submitting the info to the USPS and not giving the USPS website the dimensional size of package. But of course, I could be wrong.

As usual when dealing with USPS, I may be confused.

If I understand your previous posts, USPS defines "regular package" differently for Parcel Post and Priority Mail. That's why the current method, entering just one shipping container (regular package, large package, etc.) is applied to all the options. So one or the other is going to be wrong because USPS doesn't use the same dimensions across the board when defining package sizes.

I doubt that eBid is sending the dimensions. Letter, Large Envelope, Regular Package, Large Package, etc., were all standard in the past and actual dimensions weren't necessary. eBid would have to add a place for us to enter the actual dimensions and change their data feed. That's why I suspect it would require a major programming project to change it.

My solution is going to be to remove Priority Mail as a second option. Parcel Post or First Class, depending on the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    As usual when dealing with USPS, I may be confused.

If I understand your previous posts, USPS defines "regular package" differently for Parcel Post and Priority Mail. That's why the current method, entering just one shipping container (regular package, large package, etc.) is applied to all the options. So one or the other is going to be wrong because USPS doesn't use the same dimensions across the board when defining package sizes.

I doubt that eBid is sending the dimensions. Letter, Large Envelope, Regular Package, Large Package, etc., were all standard in the past and actual dimensions weren't necessary. eBid would have to add a place for us to enter the actual dimensions and change their data feed. That's why I suspect it would require a major programming project to change it.

My solution is going to be to remove Priority Mail as a second option. Parcel Post or First Class, depending on the weight.
    Tia, You are correct. If package goes over 12"x12"x12" then the dimensional rate goes into effect. Ebid's shipping calculator does not compensate for that if you are using priority and parcel on the same listing.

What I have done on my listings, is if my package goes over those dimensions [and some of my toys & glassware do], I only offer one shipping option.

Hope this helps.

Gazza, Do you have any idea when this will be fixed?????????? Thanks.

Gazza, Made new listing: http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/test-lis...a-28563555.htm

Shipping calculator is still not correct for packages over 12x12x12 when using priority & parcel options.

Gazza, This still has not been fixed. I have two mock auctions running so you can see the problem. Will this ever be fixed?

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/test-lis...a-28563555.htm

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/test-lis...2-28567812.htm

Thread Information