Thread: eBay down 33% - eBid up 22%

View Kamabri's Feedback (+1315)
    All-About Kamabri
    View Kamabri's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up eBay down 33% - eBid up 22%

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

Very Interesting.

The numbers change every hour and eBay seems to be running an awful lot of 'Specials" lately. Me thinks they have managed to cut their noses off to spite their faces... which is terrific for eBid! I am so happy that I switched over.

Books are a hard sell these days, no matter where you list them... so it's great to have my store here with NO relist fees to worry about.

I wanted to do some break dancing when I wrapped a book I sold here this morning, but after some serious thought, the 'break' part seemed like an omen - so I danced a little jig instead.

Drop in sometime... grab a cup of something to drink ... take your shoes off and relax while you visit with some of the best authors at:
    http://us.ebid.net/stores/Emerald-Rune-Books

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yeah they are running another special now.
    I wish I could email them back that I no longer sell on there, but they don't let you reply to their emails.

Don't get too carried away by those PSU figures, and your maths is way out as well.

Your heading was ebay down by 33% and ebid's up by 22%. The correct figures are 0.33 and 0.22 !

As I have said before on here ebay started the year at 32 million listings, they now have 44 million. That is an increase of 12 million listings which is more than the next top 3 auction sites combined !

So they are a massive machine. But I just hope that more and more people leave them (completely) and join ebid, and don't get sucked in by the half price listing offers.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Your heading was ebay down by 33% and ebid's up by 22%. The correct figures are 0.33 and 0.22 !

As I have said before on here ebay started the year at 32 million listings, they now have 44 million. That is an increase of 12 million listings which is more than the next top 3 auction sites combined !

So they are a massive machine. But I just hope that more and more people leave them (completely) and join ebid, and don't get sucked in by the half price listing offers.
    Correct figures!

I'm sorry but that made me laugh.

I think you better make some allowance for the different listing policies on the various sites. Unlike feebay the 'top three', that you refer to, don't allow duplicate listings. Another site, not mentioned on PSU, boasts 26 million listings I think (don't get exited it's not much use to the average seller).
    Last edited by kedo; 16th March 2010 at 03:02 AM.

I wish I could email them back that I no longer sell on there, but they don't let you reply to their emails.

Don't get too carried away by those PSU figures, and your maths is way out as well.

But in the not so distant past, feebay had daily listings of 100 MILLION. No matter how you look at it, that is quite a drop, 50 to 75% in just a few years.

I am not so sure every auction site is submitting standarized data either. Some, especially feebay, jump around quite a bit.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

And how many of the 44 million are duplicate listings? (Which is not allowed here on eBid).

x

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Meaningless figures as regards to ranking as they do not say how they are arrived at and specifically show that they are taken from a level playing field.

For instance, if you removed listing countries like China from eBay - how would that affect the figures. What are the figures based on? eBid's seems to be the number of listings on the US site. Are eBay's figures the same or is it their global count?

Interesting (or not) to note that even eBid's front page stats now show the US eBid site as having more listings than the UK site. That seems odd as eBid is relatively new to the US market. Do those figures reflect eBid's true market division or are sellers in other countries more willing to ship (and thereby list) to the US than the US sellers are willing to ship abroad?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

“A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and he will say that on the average he feels fine.”
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View Kamabri's Feedback (+1315)
    All-About Kamabri
    View Kamabri's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good Morning Everyone:
    I watch that site to get the trends. When eBay has one of their 'specials', their numbers go up - that is to be expected. But, if you watch the general trend - discounting those 'specials' - their numbers are dropping.

TonyBridger
    "A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and he will say that on the average he feels fine."

{{{hugs}}} Thank You for a big smile! What a delightful way to start the day.

Drop in sometime... grab a cup of something to drink ... take your shoes off and relax while you visit with some of the best authors at:
    http://us.ebid.net/stores/Emerald-Rune-Books

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of their specials, IMHO. I list a few items there now and again, and if I have questions from buyers or if I sell an item [which is seldom these days] from e*ay, I always let the buyers know most of my items are on ebid. Hopefully that will steer them this way since many have not heard of this site. I'll take all the advertisement for ebid I can get and if using specials over there is the way to get it, I think it's a way for cheap advertising of this site.

Forum Diehard
    View banrigh's Feedback (+2949)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Interesting (or not) to note that even eBid's front page stats now show the US eBid site as having more listings than the UK site. That seems odd as eBid is relatively new to the US market. Do those figures reflect eBid's true market division or are sellers in other countries more willing to ship (and thereby list) to the US than the US sellers are willing to ship abroad?
    Not sure about the stats. I do know that on the US site the Store totals have been rising constantly and I feel there are a lot of Sellers jumping ship and coming here, which is good.

I do think that Sellers on the other side have been burned one too many times with International sales, it will take a little time to get them to ship outside the US again.

Thread Information