Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: missing auctions!!

Quote Originally Posted by the_iron_dwarf View Post
    doing a back up before and after should make it possible to compare the files ( no doubt someone here write a little routine to do that ) ands then you can copy and paste the bits you need from the csv.

it would make it a lot easier to see what may be the reason for the files to go if you knew what they were
    Yup. do a "Before" snapshot just after all your auctions are listed (csv download)

and then when you have a problem with missing items, take an "after" snapshot /csv download

then just compare the two files using WinMerge (for windows, on Linux you can just use commandline native diff command.. dunno what you can use for Mac..)

The differences between files are *VERY* easy to spot almost right away and missing csv lines become immediately evident

http://winmerge.org/
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Since I did not realize this was going to happen, I don't have a "before" csv file. We had over 4,000 listings when I noticed the counts were wrong.

I can track in the future, but not the past.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just had 300+ items disappear out of unsold while I was in the process of relisting them

I have a back-up list but now need to sort which have been listed and which disappeared

Fun fun
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Forum Lurker
    Kettering, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View the_iron_dwarf's Feedback (+171)
    All-About the_iron_dwarf
    View the_iron_dwarf's Listings
    Forum Posts

thank you Ideal, hope it helps some people.
    I only have 38 listings at the mo but next time I add more I will do another backup and would think it a good idea if everyone did it even if they dont know how to use the file.
    if they have the file and get problems they can ask, if they have not done a backup then they are more likley to be stuffed
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?wor...arch&type=user
    trying to get back up to 100+ listings ( I hope )

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    In our case, the problem isn't recreating the listing. We can do that very easily. The problem is that we don't know which items have been deleted, and finding them would be an almost impossible task. The only way we know some have disappeared is that our inventory total count is greater than the total shown on eBid. Someday I'll check our higher-priced items, if those aren't the ones they're lost forever.
    Yes, a mess when we had this problem a while back. That is why I asked what caused this. Seems OP was only one?

I agree, when listings vanish, no way to quickly figure out which ones are gone except by comparing your listed inventory to your listings and that is a time consuming pain. Might as well spend the time listing new items!

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here with a comment but dont you think that it might be a case of doing some checking and altering titles yourself instead of waiting for some program to do it for you. A little bit of time consuming tapping of the keyboards would not come amiss. We are coming to an age where if it isnt done for us in 2 seconds we worry. Dont get me wrong, I have been impatient too, but I have soon learnt to take things as they come.

Best Regards..........John

Quote Originally Posted by spitfiremk2 View Post
    I hope you dont mind me jumping in here with a comment but dont you think that it might be a case of doing some checking and altering titles yourself instead of waiting for some program to do it for you. A little bit of time consuming tapping of the keyboards would not come amiss. We are coming to an age where if it isnt done for us in 2 seconds we worry. Dont get me wrong, I have been impatient too, but I have soon learnt to take things as they come.
    I'm not sure what you're saying. We rarely have more than one of any of our items, so duplicate titles are unlikely. The only reason I can think of for our listings disappearing is that they're in the wrong category, which can be a problem with a unique item, but mostly we use existing listings in the same category. If we've made any mistakes, we have no idea what they are. And if we did make such a mistake, why on earth can't eBid generate an automatic email telling us that a specific listing has been deleted? I know enough about programming to know it wouldn't be difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying. We rarely have more than one of any of our items, so duplicate titles are unlikely. The only reason I can think of for our listings disappearing is that they're in the wrong category, which can be a problem with a unique item, but mostly we use existing listings in the same category. If we've made any mistakes, we have no idea what they are. And if we did make such a mistake, why on earth can't eBid generate an automatic email telling us that a specific listing has been deleted? I know enough about programming to know it wouldn't be difficult to do.
    You have made a valid point in that eBid should give a reason why they deleted certain items. I havent been on eBid long enough to know all the ins and outs. But it wouldnt be any problem to inform customers when eBid do this sort of thing. I didnt have your amount deleted, just 3. But nevertheless, it would be courteous of them to inform you.

Best Regards..........John

Quote Originally Posted by spitfiremk2 View Post
    You have made a valid point in that eBid should give a reason why they deleted certain items. I havent been on eBid long enough to know all the ins and outs. But it wouldnt be any problem to inform customers when eBid do this sort of thing. I didnt have your amount deleted, just 3. But nevertheless, it would be courteous of them to inform you.
    ebid does send an email if a duplicate item was removed because of a complaint. For those removed automatically by system, we get nothing but missing items! We are not sure what went on with the OP's listings. Kind of a mystery.

The reason why we are so interested is that a little while back we had some odd things happen with our listings that ebid fixed. The system itself generated duplicates and then removed them with warnings; this was traced back to a defective bulk edit program. It was a mess and as Tia and I were saying, we still don't know what we lost as it is so hard to check listings against our boxes and boxes of listed stock.

But I agree with you, we all get a bit lazy. A little investigating on our side of things goes far in helping ebid to determine what is wrong.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've been working on trying to compile a new download for the missing items

Manually comparing what's left with what was there a month ago, minus what has sold, on excel SSs

Fun fun

Come to find out that's worthless because the missing items also have their pictures removed from my gallery
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Thread Information