eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Lister improvements ONLY - Bugs to go in Glitches forum.

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

But that in a sense is misleading as they are not unused,they are opened from packs and even with the most extreme care are used to some extent,it makes no mention of condition of the card.
    An unused card out of pack could have company defects or dings or creases or any number of things wrong with it and if it is left only as unused a buyer may not know to ask the true condition are the corners sharp is it creased bent etc.
    You cannot list sportscards under these categories as they do not fit,try walking into a sportscard shop and asking the clerk for used or unused cards,you will get a very strange look when you are talking about packaged material it is fine but I cannot add to my single card listings this one is used gently opened from a pack slowly put into a soft sleeve etc I can put mint condition but if a potential buyer sees mint condition and used there is a contradiction there as most collectors really do not know what a used or unused sportscard is,I have been doing this over 30 years and the only true meaning of an unused sportscard is in sealed pack or box form otherwise every card is used and for the buyer to make the assumption as to what extent a certain card may be used is absurd,was the card tossed about,put into tire spokes or will a buyer who has never heard of a used/unused card make the assumption ok this card is used but how badly used can it be,or if marked unused how unused is it if I have a card that is 50 years old obviously it will have some use to it some wear and tear the same may apply for a card that is 2 years old depending on storage who handled them etc.
    There are a lot of factors to consider with conditions of cards and they cannot be left to used and unused cards as singles they do not exist.
    Even if I open 1 pack touch the cards to place them in a box never to touch them again they were used,it is like saying I only wrote with this pen once so it is unused it does not fit and needs to be looked at
    I have started listing very low end cards for the time being but I have cards in the thousand $ book range and I would hate to have to list such a card under unused or used,being a collector myself I would not think twice about shelling over a grand for a card with a very loose condition attached to it no matter the description the seller puts in the buyer will have a very difficult time distinguishing used from unused.

laur74
    I think the reason that ebid only use's the 3 options is for the listing to be compatable with google shopping search.
    why do you not put the conditon in the title and description this would make it show up in both google search's (shopping and natural).
    Check out my shop for all your fav comic books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/HUSHS-COMIC-BOOK-WORLD

Hush is barnching out check it out
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Hushs-Trading-Card-Shack

Check out my about me for some stuff about me.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/hush77hush/all-about-me/
    or why not join my social group on the fourm pages.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/group.php?groupid=30

Why not follow me on Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/#!/hush77hush

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hush77hush View Post
    laur74
    I think the reason that ebid only use's the 3 options is for the listing to be compatable with google shopping search.
    why do you not put the conditon in the title and description this would make it show up in both google search's (shopping and natural).
    I will do that,but for higher end listings,it is hard enough now to try and sort all of what I would think someone may search for but adding condition of cards,the majority of which are under a dollar does not seem like a good way to use up my title

I have been adding the condition to my older cards,pre 1990s but for stuff after that most of the card brands are so long named,anyway I am just trying to point out that even with that in the title and description,once I get around to listing say sidney crosby rookie cards or high value gretzky cards a lot of people search these and a lot of people sell these what will distinguish me apart is that for a potential new buyer of my cards once they see it is listed as used unused what have you they will simply boot,A seriuos collector who spends serious money on their collection knows of signs to look for in an experienced seller and if I have a 500$ crosby rookie listed as used they will think I am either a scammer or really do not know what I am selling as used etc is not a term collectors look for when purchasing cards perhaps my older clients will not be swayed by this but it is not them I am worried about it is the potential for new sales that has me worried about this.
    I would really like it if someone would look at this from my point of view being both a serious collector and seller for many years I have never once seen any card listed as used unused etc but rather by condition,this may be fine for dvds or video games clothing and maybe the most of what is being listed on here but with close to 100 listings added daily in a section where it will eventually effect sales I really wish someone would take this into consideration and if possible when listing sportscards at least have those options left out so a seller could add the condition

Thanks

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cards themselves are all used even once made somehandles them they are placed into packs by machine and sorted manually but get used,the intended state of a hockey card is in pack form,it is manufactured to be placed into packs then we as collectors and dealers bust the packs searching for our fav players teams etc.
    To assume that potential buyers of these items(sportscards)would know to look at the description in most cases is true but what I am getting at is that seeing a used new may sway them from even going so far as to bother to look assuming this dealer cannot be very seasoned as most have never seen a card fall into such a category so it will more than likely drive people away from sportscards listings rather than bring them in here which would benefit everyone.
    My other point being a less experienced collector who may not get swayed by the new used and make a purchase may complain after purchase upon recieving their card that it was stated as new when in fact the card may very well be 12 years old and my title and description attest to that they may think for whatever reason they are purchasing a new card

And to your point about clothing yes clothes sit on shelves they may be tried on but if you purchase a new sweater more often than not it comes with tags you can list said sweater as brand new with tags or if it was worn briefly used but gently or something therein you cannot do the same for sportscards you just cannot

If I (and I often do)buy cards on the net and I were to come across a listing of a card I liked but saw it under used I would shy away from the purchase,I know to read the description I have been buying and selling cards for the better part of 30 years but used or even new would make me pass it by as I would think the seller cannot know much about cards as they do not follow such categories,perhaps I would ask said seller a question but not everyone will take that time and I hate to think that my sales may depend a lot on potential buyers who may ask the condition instead of just passing me over to find a card with the proper listing condition

Clothes movies games toys etc can be listed as used or new and even with toys it is iffy as collectors like to know when purchasing used toys condition but less so as used is often put to describe toys,used has never been used by me or any dealer I know of to describe a card,used is not a term collectors look for when searching for a card,they may type in a search for used books used games etc but never used hockey cards it is a misnomer all cards are used but it is the condition of the cards that are used collectors look for when buying,having them show up in only those 2 options seems very likely that my listings here on cards will not only fail but do so miserably,once I start to list clothes and toys I have no problem as they belong there but cards do not and you cannot compare the 2 at all

Everyone buys clothing and will surely understand that it sits may be tried on etc everyone buys movies and knows the difference between a used and new movie can you tell me what the difference is between a used and new hockey card keep in mind I have some cards that were purchased 2 days ago opened from packs and some have small defects I also have cards from 35 years ago wgich are nr perfect so what is new and what is used,would the 2009-10 card with the defect be used and the 1975 card be new as the condition is better,I am sorry but this just does not make sense to me

I do appreciate your answers and help but from my view a card has to have a seperate category or blank to be put in by seller

Thanks
    Last edited by LAUR74; 6th March 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAUR74 View Post
    I do appreciate your answers and help but from my view a card has to have a seperate category or blank to be put in by seller

Thanks
    I'm sure coin, stamp, postcard, comic, & sellers of other types of trading cards etc etc sellers feel the same, but as Astral has said it's ONLY a general guideline.
    If eBid allowed people to fill in their own condition dropdown, it could very well lead to google products rejecting the upload of those items.

I don't know why it would make people think you're a scammer, the three choices, New Unused & Used, apply to every item on eBid, including those listed by other sportscard sellers. You have something like 40,000 characters to use for a full description inside the listing.

Last edited by Gothicina; 6th March 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

'Unused' means the item may have been removed from the packaging or the packaging may be in less than perfect state but the actual item is in the same condition as 'New'.

This is untrue when it comes to cards,wheteher a collector is buying a card worth 5 cents or 5$ they want to know if the card is mint or nrmt good or very good once a card is opened from a package it can have a wide reange of defects from manufactorer defects or from careless handling,just because a card is pulled from a pack does not put it in the same condition as new
    if that were true I can open a box of 1973-74 opc cards and they would be considered new even though that particular year for opc cards had some horrible off center cuts from the production run this would hardly make them same condition as new regardless they are close to 40 years old

There are conditions collectors look specifically for when buying cards and new or used is not one of them,the only time new will be in a listing is when a card is first released eg 2009-10 sp game used patrick roy NEW as newly released not new condition

I am guessing you do not purchase sportscards so therefore would really have no idea as to where my point is coming from as I do see your point but not being a buyer or seller of cards you do not have any idea how picky buyers are when it comes to condition,they are very specific and will bypass a card at the slightest discrepency especially if a card is a high value card they do not wnat to spend a lot of $ on uncertain items and most will assume that a dealer who lists cards as used or new is not worth the time to question
    A lot of people who are brought here by google may not be aware that those are the only options I have for listings so they will assume I do not know what I am doing and bypass me altogether go over to the dark side and pay a few bucks more for a card that they are certain of its condition,
    If you were uncertain of a purchase a very high dollar purchase and 2 sellers had the exact item 1 with a description and categorized it perfectly,the other seller had a perfect description but had it listed in what you see as a very odd category,you look at the sellers other listings and see they have every item in odd categories where these items you normally buy would never be put by an experienced seller so you move on to the first seller,your sure of what your getting the listings are where they belong condition wise and the other seller sits back and wonders why am I not having any luck.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

You're obsessing on the detail of your particular market niche, rather than considering that the "condition" referred to here is merely an over-all guideline intended to apply to all things equally. All collectible items have their own specific terminology (some held in common) and it's up to the seller to make sure that the necessary information is held *within* the item listing.

I sell books, and virtual goods, roughly speaking. Books have a wide-range of item specific terms I don't expect to see built into ebid or google, and virtual items have no condition at all, so I use "new" and know that my buyers will have the wit to understand what they're getting.

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Who really reads or wants to read 40 000 my item descriptions are as short and to the point as I can make them without leaving anything out,buyers of cards I have found like to see what they are getting and move on to the next item they will not spend time on reading a huge description

Yes I describe what I list,when it comes to older cards I am specific of condition but my whole point is that no matter how many characters I use I am worried that more often than not people will bypass my listings as experienced card sellers do not put cards up as used or new but rather mint or very good,

I am not so worried about anyone thinking I am a scammer my reputation speaks for itself(not here yet) I was just using that to make the point that potential buyers may think something amiss if a seller of sportscards lists them as the conditions which we have

Maybe I am making too big a deal of this but then again maybe not time will tell but I really hate the prospect of listing my higher priced stuff as used or new instead of only having the option of putting a condition in my description

More often than not card collectors read the heading and look for an indication of condition if they see used the will move on without even going into item description they will move elsewhere and sales will be lost

I am having a very hard time dealing with this and will have to weigh my options before listing more items,I have been here a little more than a week and have listed over a thousand different cards but now I am wondering ok no fees except for my seller+ thing I signed up for so fee free is great greta forums help and folks but aside from all that the idea of having people bypass my items because of a listing glitch has given me doubts about listing more.

I know a lot of you may be thinking if it is a good item at a good price people will buy it,not always true people also think if it's too good to be true it probably is and when buyers see 1000 of my listings in either new or used I am positive the vast majority will not bother with reading description or asking questions

Forum Diehard
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

But cards have a grading system on which buyers base their purchase,cards can be sent in for grading the better a card grade the more $ the card sells for without having the potential to list conditions from the start potential buyers will not bother more often than not to look
    Right now it does not bother me as much as my listings are more oriented towards player collectors or collectors looking to finish sets and condition although important is not the be all end all of all the listings thus far,my concern is the listing of high end cards which collectors specifically search condition terms for.
    They purchase these cards and send them to graders who look them over carefully and assess them on a scale usually between 1-10 so without having access to a condition wise entry I am shutting out buyers

I am of course focusing on my niche and once I start listing clothes I will focus on that and so on and so on,I focus on what I sell,I am happy when I hear of sales on hear no matter the category as it means folks are coming in but why would I focus outside of what I sell

I am just pointing out that items that collectors buy that can be sent out to be professionally graded,cards coins stamps comic books should have the option of a condition entry before listing item description,it would therefore increase potential buyers to view said items and the more views the more possible sales.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I picked one of your items to look at completely at random and saw this one: http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?...123&mo=auction

You don't have anything in there at all about condition - surely including something *in* the listing is essential? I also think you're going to get hurt more by not having any picture thumbnails (gallery) than by the generic condition type being limited, sorry.

However, I'm happy to admit I'm no sort of card collector, and about as far from an expert as you can get, so I'm staking my life on me being right and you being wrong.

I hope you decide you can make the site work for you - I really do think it's a non-problem you're focussing on, but proviso above applies.

Thread Information