Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May I respectfully enquire?

Default May I respectfully enquire?

Now that the new site has been up and running for two weeks (and the glitches have been ironed out) is there any chance we can be informed about when and where we will see publicity appearing about the launch?

I have seen nothing yet apart from mentions on blogs etc from forum members.

It would be great to know where we should be looking so we can bring the promotion to the attention of others and do everything we can to back it up!

Let's do some shouting from the rooftops while the new site is still "new"!

Hi lejoueurdepipeau,

I personally believe the most effective form of promotion for websites like eBid are online and a lot of this is already done officially by eBid and unofficially by members. Many of these initiatives will only be picked up by the actual viewers of the sites offering promotional content for eBid or displaying the Google Adwords advertising.

For instance this article was recently published on a stamp collectors website and includes a screenshot of the new look:

http://gbstamp.co.uk/article/ebay-al...r-2010-95.html

But chances are, unless you collect British stamps, you wont have known about it or the new eBid members it has already generated.

Hopefully there will soon be a range of advertising banners using the new image made available at Clixgalore soon to jump start the affiliate markerters and webmasters.

If you are looking more for some radio, tv and old fashioned newspaper exposure then, speaking for myself, I'd question if that really is the best promotional use of the money it would involve.

One thing I would very much like to see is the ability for affiliates to "deep link" in to eBid enabling them to promote actual auction listings and still get rewarded for any new members they attract. This would mean being able to tag on an affiliate referal ID to item links or include a similar referal tag in links generated by the eBid RSS feeds.

That is a very good review, all positive. I will have to start listing my stamps & covers.

It is not for me to say where eBid should be advertising and I don't know how you could have gained that impression from my OP? I have always said that TV would be too expensive when that has been suggested.

I am asking if we can told where we can look out for publicity - wherever they decide to place it. Thank you for the stamp article link - I am sure that will be encouraging to those who sell stamps and will mean more listings in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    It is not for me to say where eBid should be advertising and I don't know how you could have gained that impression from my OP? I have always said that TV would be too expensive when that has been suggested.
    Sorry lejoueurdepipeau if you feel I jumped to a conclusion but your OP didn't specify what type of publicity you would like to see so I was really asking if you meant tv, newspapers, radio etc?

While you accept it isn't for you or me to tell eBid how and where they should advertise, I'm sure they will appreciate any publicity ideas the members volunteer.

So apart from the exposure in blogs, forums etc, that you already acknowledged in your OP, what other publicity ideas did you have in mind?

I think leJouer is simply saying that it would be nice if Da Boyz posted occasionally to let us know any new advertising initiatives - we know they have them all about the net, but not which are major or minor.

We all publicise the site, and will continue to do so - I think the many previous posts with all the ideas got lost when the forum updated, which is a pity.

After running the site for 10 years, They will already have seen all but the most mind-boggling ideas already!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    I think leJouer is simply saying that it would be nice if Da Boyz posted occasionally to let us know any new advertising initiatives - we know they have them all about the net, but not which are major or minor.

We all publicise the site, and will continue to do so - I think the many previous posts with all the ideas got lost when the forum updated, which is a pity.

After running the site for 10 years, They will already have seen all but the most mind-boggling ideas already!
    Thanks for that. Yes indeed, I am assuming that management and the design team have lots of ideas about where to announce and promote the new site.

I have been Googling "eBid.net launch new auction site design" every day since the 8th Jan. and so far haven't found anything "official" - various signs that members are doing their bit (as we all do) but nothing from HQ yet. Am I doing the wrong search?

I just wondered if we could be told what the plans for publicity are.

Edit - found it! Gazza said "Then we will be able to start work on all the new features that we weren't able to add, and re-start our promotion of a site that we are at last proud to let the world know about." on January 7th.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

TV advertising is very expensive and surely we want to keep low fees.

Ebay advertise on tv and they are going down !

I think with all of these things personal recommendation is the best. If each of us told 10 friends that we don't use ebay now, but find better buys on ebid, that would soon spread the word like wildfire!

People always like to know what their friends are doing / using. Eg did Facebook advertise ? No - it came from nowhere to be the second most popular web site and is always mentioned on tv. (thats called viral)

So - keep telling your friends at work - don't get seen lurking on ebay, but use ebid !

And also think to your self what would you tell your friend that ebid is better for buyers ? (More choice ? cheaper prices ?) (not really!) Less clutter - yes, better people - yes.

All ebay alternative auction sites suffer from a lack of buyers. It is easy to attract sellers due to better policies and lower fees, but what can a new auction site offer buyers to Make them want to come over - not much really.

Any "advertising/marketing" of ebid is good. I agree there are thousands of ways to do it, but hopefully da boyz will let us know where they are concentrating their efforts so we can show those interviews to friends and fellow sellers/buyers too.

Consider that daily millions of items are downloaded to google which certainly gives ebid and its new look publicity (and shows off our items too). That is a million times better than having a dancing bear on tv!

We all know that television and radio ads have poor advertising value for the buck compared to banners, interviews, etc. While they appeal to potential buyers chiefly, we already saw what kind of buyers they attracted on feebay and do not want that mess here. Google does a far better job of attracting really great buyers to ebid. It is a highly trusted site that more people use than any other, nice to have them as a partner.

Let's keep our eyes and ears open and if anyone sees ebid marketed somewhere, give a holler so we can all take a peek.

Thread Information