Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: YDC Rules - Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TheFragrantTree View Post
    Hello well done Babs for opening this up for discussion.
    As a newbie YDC'er I hope I can contribute to this a wee bit and not tread on any toes

Firstly is the YDC a competition??
    because in the end their is a "winner"

If it is a "competition" then it should follow certain rules depending on the type of competition the YDC is running

Competition type

No 1. Purchase necessary to enter :
    (only those who can afford to purchase can enter and win)

or
    No 2. No purchase necessary
    Everyone can enter and has the same fair chance of winning

The YDC needs to have a big drive to bring more newbies on board. At the moment there are only a few very generous people spreading their bids around each month.

Everyone participating in the YDC if it is "competition type 2" should have the same chance of winning when they enter either as a bidder or seller. Wouldn't it bring more excitement to the "competition" each month if we had a drum role and a suprise winner announced and shouldn't both bidders and sellers be given the same equal chance of winning because after all we need both.
    Maybe each month we could each donate something small like choklit into a combined winners hamper and the winner gets the hamper the Tee shirt to sign and also the main prize - their nominated charity.
    What we need to decide........... is the YDC a competition and if it is what type of competition is it, No 1 or No 2.

Only mulling things over and chucking things into the pot for all to chew on.
    Anyway Happy New Year to all as this is my first visit this year. x

Thank you for your input and your ideas. All are welcome - regardless of how long or how many YDC's you've taken part in - We're all YDC'ers and thats the important bit.

As the rules stand currently - the winner is the person who lists the item that raises the most money. To explain it in its simplest form - if I listed a book which sold for £4 and you listed a bag which sold for £5 - you would be the winner and be able to pick the charity for the next YDC.

You do raise some interesting points and have in a way built on Sarahs idea of putting names into a hat - which is an idea that I do like as it will increase the surprise and fun elements of the YDC and keep everyone in suspenders right up until the winners post is announced. Not sure how it can be administered though at my end - yes, it would be easy enough to have everyones name on little tickets - and will need to make sure that I don't miss anyone out - but in a way to keep the time taken to check to make sure that everyone taking part would be quite time consuming - whether we go to include bidders, winning buyers, and sellers or just winning buyers and sellers and not include bidders. Perhaps a thread where every one puts their name alongside a number and I pull a number out of a hat each YDC totally at random. That way if you're not in the thread, you don't get included. On the plus side it would cut down on the admin of it for me, but on the downside - who wants to go chasing around to make sure that they've put their name by a number to be included in a draw after either placing a listing, winning an item or placing a bid. This one will need some serious thought on the best way it can be sorted keeping time consumption to a minimum - although - to my mind I do like the idea as if it is worked right would be fun.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Hmmm... at the end all sellers have to give you their own name, and that of each of their buyers? You'd have to write/print on bits of paper... would there be many? Would that be a lot of work? I don't see how else it could work.

... oh! Update. I googled and found this: http://www.technixupdate.com/the-hat...winners-names/

Further update: Tried "The Hat" here and it works fine. So if everybody sent you names as above, you'd just have to copy/type them in and press a button to get a winner.

I was in the middle of typing a reply to FrangrantTrees post - which in one part expands on Sarahs idea and I was interrupted - so had to leave the post half typed and unsent. I've now finished it and posted it - only to find that I perhaps should have aborted it instead.

The idea of a 'hat' does sound like a good one and it would increase the fun and suspense element of the YDC as to 'who will the winner be'.

Thanks for the link - I'll take a good look at that now in a sec -

I like the idea of each seller giving me their details & their winning buyers details. This is where the time element comes in - if I had to track down each one myself it would take an eternity - and I'd loose out on my own bidding time If all the sellers gave me the details of themselves and their winning buyers, then the old fashioned paper in a hat wouldn't be a problem as most of the names would already be written on tickets from last month and I'd just have to sort through the bundle to pop into the hat the names of everyone for the current month. Admitted, there'd be a bit of work to set it up, but once its up and running, its just a simple case of maintenance by adding new players as they join which is not a problem - Thanks Kim - that makes the idea even more of a possibility
    Babz

If it helps, i could go through the ydc listings on the Monday of a ydc and write all the names down that have an item listed and then pick a name and be exempt myself.
    I don't want this to come across as stepping on toes though, just trying to help if it's time issue. I would not do the draw until the following Monday other wise it could / would be confusing

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    If it helps, i could go through the ydc listings on the Monday of a ydc and write all the names down that have an item listed and then pick a name and be exempt myself.
    I don't want this to come across as stepping on toes though, just trying to help if it's time issue. I would not do the draw until the following Monday other wise it could / would be confusing

Thanks Sarah - thats handy to know. If I work it that everyone gives me the info - then that would be fine time wise. The first one would take time to set up - getting the names etc - but if I put them on card and keep them in a roses tin they can be used each month, with maintenace (for lack of a better word) of new names being added as we get new members joining in. For the draw as people give me the names I can put the names into the tin and at the end ask Ray to do the draw as he would be an 'outsider' so to speak and not involved with the YDC in any way. Although, I don't mind being kept out of the draw - although, to be fair I would enter my buyers

To take this one a bit further - and to twist things around to get ideas - should each seller be entered as many times as they have items listed or just the once. And the same with buyers - would they be entered as many times as they have bought / won items or just the once. Should a name be entered twice if they are a both seller and buyer or just once overall? For example if Meebo (sorry just pulling names out of a hat here) is a seller, but she has also won an item, should she be put in once as seller and once as buyer or just once overall. For my own opiniion I think just the once for each person - whether buyer or seller - that way each participating member has an equal chance of winning the draw.
    Babz

...Meebo just buy ONE item? you jest......

... of course your name should be in as well -
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think just the once each. Anybody who takes part is doing their best to be supportive, no need to count how much or how often, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I think just the once each. Anybody who takes part is doing their best to be supportive, no need to count how much or how often, I feel.

Thats my thoughts on it too - just once per person regardless of how many etc. Its just my way of stirring things up to gather ideas and maybe get people thinking.
    Babz

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post

agree wholeheartedly on this one

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    ...Meebo just buy ONE item? you jest......

If I can get Ray to do the draw as he's neutral so to speak, then I'd be happy to put my name in - but if I'm doing the draw then it could be rather embaressing (sp) if I pick out my own name.
    Babz

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabsnRay View Post
    Thats my thoughts on it too - just once per person regardless of how many etc. Its just my way of stirring things up to gather ideas and maybe get people thinking.
    mmmmm trying to stir things up a bit eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

Thread Information