Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: YDC Rules - Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    Yes, I know and quite understand why the quilt auction didn't happen in 2009 - I'm obviously not expressing myself well this pm My query related to the comments that maybe there should only be BCC auctions in November and no YDC and that therefore there might be a problem if the quilt auction was planned for Nov 2010! OP edited to clarify.

Right I'm with you. My brain isn't working properly today mind either - still struggling with my cold type thing and to crown it all, I put my back out yesterday so that isn't doing me any favours either. Hopefully, with everything healthwise happening all at once, when I get to Feb, I'll be back up to full speed.

I see what you mean now (I hope) - remembering from last year, through Oct we had 2 YDC's (the tail end of hte Sept plus the start of the Oct), plus 5 weekly BCC auctions all within a space of 7 weeks. Perhaps instead of the weekly auctions, just dedicate the YDC to the BCC instead?
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Just read the whole thread slowly and have the following ideas.

As there are some "big ticket" items that generally "win" each month, then rather than upping the "must not be expected to reach £xx" would it not be an idea to put everyones name into a hat that took part in the previous YDC each month and just pick one person at random to nominate the nexts month charity?

If it's to stay as the winner is who gets closest to £20, then there should be no reason to up the max expected price.

Re 99p £1, €1.12 $1.50 etc could it simply not be £1 / €1 / $1?

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post

As there are some "big ticket" items that generally "win" each month, then rather than upping the "must not be expected to reach £xx" would it not be an idea to put everyones name into a hat that took part in the previous YDC each month and just pick one person at random to nominate the nexts month charity?

If it's to stay as the winner is who gets closest to £20, then there should be no reason to up the max expected price.

My initial reaction is that I like that idea - then everyone gets a chance to "win" and nominate their favourite charity after taking part in a YDC - not all members can afford to put items up for sale that will raise mega bucks! If the draw picks the same person several times they can always be magnanimous and suggest a re-draw - as folks do sometimes with raffles We are all trying to raise as much as we can - even if that turns out to be only a fiver so the element of competition about raising the largest sum is unnecessary IMHO.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like ideas 1 and 3 there.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

ditto

Hello well done Babs for opening this up for discussion.
    As a newbie YDC'er I hope I can contribute to this a wee bit and not tread on any toes

Firstly is the YDC a competition??
    because in the end their is a "winner"

If it is a "competition" then it should follow certain rules depending on the type of competition the YDC is running

Competition type

No 1. Purchase necessary to enter :
    (only those who can afford to purchase can enter and win)

or
    No 2. No purchase necessary
    Everyone can enter and has the same fair chance of winning

The YDC needs to have a big drive to bring more newbies on board. At the moment there are only a few very generous people spreading their bids around each month.

Everyone participating in the YDC if it is "competition type 2" should have the same chance of winning when they enter either as a bidder or seller. Wouldn't it bring more excitement to the "competition" each month if we had a drum role and a suprise winner announced and shouldn't both bidders and sellers be given the same equal chance of winning because after all we need both.
    Maybe each month we could each donate something small like choklit into a combined winners hamper and the winner gets the hamper the Tee shirt to sign and also the main prize - their nominated charity.
    What we need to decide........... is the YDC a competition and if it is what type of competition is it, No 1 or No 2.

Only mulling things over and chucking things into the pot for all to chew on.
    Anyway Happy New Year to all as this is my first visit this year. x

Thanks Sarah - some very interesting points

How the 'name into a hat' can be administered at my end without eating into too much time would be the difficult one to work out - but this is an excellent idea in theory - and it would be lots of fun cos no one would know who the winner is until it is announced.

Your second point makes perfect sense - especially if point one is actioned.

Point 3 makes sense too - to disregard the currency and stick to round numbers. Although it could cause a few complaints in the same way as we had on the forums with the seller fees at 49.99 regardless of currency. It would be nice if we could have some views from our overseas friends on this one - as they are the ones that would be affected by it more than us in the UK
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Wiz & I were talking about this the other night, & thought
    £1 / €1 / $1 (or even $2, if the US member's thought $1 too low).

Originally, the wording was for a Charity or "good cause", not all good causes can afford to register for charity status, but that doesn't mean their need for support is any less.
    I'm sure everyone has a cause that is close to their heart, and some never support the nominated charity, or split support between the nominated & their own choice, even so I think it would be fairer if the same one couldn't be chosen two months running.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabsnRay View Post
    Thanks Sarah - some very interesting points

How the 'name into a hat' can be administered at my end without eating into too much time would be the difficult one to work out - but this is an excellent idea in theory - and it would be lots of fun cos no one would know who the winner is until it is announced.
    Hmmm... at the end all sellers have to give you their own name, and that of each of their buyers? You'd have to write/print on bits of paper... would there be many? Would that be a lot of work? I don't see how else it could work.

... oh! Update. I googled and found this: http://www.technixupdate.com/the-hat...winners-names/

Further update: Tried "The Hat" here and it works fine. So if everybody sent you names as above, you'd just have to copy/type them in and press a button to get a winner.
    Last edited by bykimbo; 13th January 2010 at 03:03 PM.

Or just put 'in the hat' the names of the sellers - would that be fair and/or acceptable? - that would make it simpler to administer certainly
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Thread Information