Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: YDC Rules - Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Borderdoors View Post
    Taiblet
    its a silly spelling though!!!!
    oh you mocker, wash out your mouth with soap - taiblet is Scottish and special / tablet is blah
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Lurker
    Only One, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Feedback (+388)
    All-About Annes_Nostalgia
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    You've always been able to sell anything you want, at any price you like, do it however you wish, and put the money into the YDC pot and pimp along etc
    Sorry to be a bit thick on this. To "put my money into the YDC pot" does that mean that when an item I have put into YDC without a competition number sells, I send the money to whoever is running that month's YDC and it goes to that month's beneficiary?

Also, can I then pimp my donation on the YDC thread?

Thanks again, Anne

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annes_Nostalgia View Post
    Sorry to be a bit thick on this. To "put my money into the YDC pot" does that mean that when an item I have put into YDC without a competition number sells, I send the money to whoever is running that month's YDC and it goes to that month's beneficiary?

Also, can I then pimp my donation on the YDC thread?

Thanks again, Anne
    My understanding is yes, and yes, but I suppose Babs needs to confirm it one way or another to be certain.

Just catching up with how the discussion has been going on this one. I thought that as my back was a bit better Friday morning - I thought that I could do a bit of ironing - big mistake. I gave up on the ironing half way through cos my back started complaining and by early evening I was back in sheer agony. To allow me to be able to sleep, I took one of my painkillers - another big mistake - I did get my good nights sleep - but my back still wasn't right yesterday, anda cos of the painkiller - my head was all 'swimmy' - so I basically wrote of yesterday as a disaster. Oh well, onward and upward as the saying goes. My back still isn't right, but its back where its just got this annoying ache to remind ne that I've had problems and to warn me to be careful as to what I do.

Well - back to the thread - it seems that the money side of things really is causing quite a confusion

The rules as they stand are what I inherited when I took over the position as organiser / MC or the YDC - so perhaps the wording of the rules may not show this and perhaps could do with changing / updating. This was part of the reason behind the starting of the thread. With a view to changing the rules, updating them, or tweeking them to suit the endless evolving of the YDC.

To help clarify the position as the rules currently stand - The YDC is a monthly charity auction - with a winner being the person that lists the item that sells for the highest closing bid. To qualify for entry into the competition the start price of that item has to be no more than 99p (although there have been suggestions to round this up to £1 for simplicitys sake - although this has met with opposition).

If you wish to start an item for say an amount of £20 - then yes, that is allowed under the current rules - although the seller listing this item would not be eligible to be entered into the competition to select the next months charity. The wording of the rules may not show this and perhaps could do with changing / updating

To qualify for an entry to the YDC competion, the item must have YDC in the title, along with the appropriate number. As in the next YDC is YDC73. If you wish to start an item for more than the allowed current maximum bid (99p) then , yes, go for it, do as you will its all for charity - but please just keep the title as YDC without the appropriate number. This will make it easier for me on scouring through the hundreds of listings to find the winners.

I hope that helps.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Thank you Kim and Babs. The bit about starting higher and foregoing entry to the competition is what I wanted to know. I'm not bothered about winning and would prefer to puts items on TDC at any time as I seem to miss the deadline, and am also away a lot at weekends.

I assume that when one of my items sells then whichever charity & organiser is current that I just send them the money raised?

I am revamping all my stores and as soon as I finish I'll do some YDC listing.

Hope your back gets better soon. Can you delegate the ironing? !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annes_Nostalgia View Post
    Thank you Kim and Babs. The bit about starting higher and foregoing entry to the competition is what I wanted to know. I'm not bothered about winning and would prefer to puts items on TDC at any time as I seem to miss the deadline, and am also away a lot at weekends.

I assume that when one of my items sells then whichever charity & organiser is current that I just send them the money raised?

I am revamping all my stores and as soon as I finish I'll do some YDC listing.

Hope your back gets better soon. Can you delegate the ironing? !!!
    Sadly no - Ray has even worse problems than I do with his back - his is a permeanent probklem, where mine is only internittant and usually goes wrong when I try to do something that I shouldn't or something that agravates it - which this time was opening a drawer would you believe. mind you, I have put my back out before now bending down to pick up a piece of paper so it shouldn't have surprised me.

If you're thinking of putting up YDC listings to run all the time, them please just put YDC in the title without the number. a) it will make it easier for me to find the competition winner and b) save you having to go in and edit them and keep them valid so to speak. There is another seller who does the same on this one as he keeps a little run of items going for the YDC and sorts out the money to the appropriate charity - these can be found in the announcement thread along with the people that nominated them - they'd be the ones that are sorting the collections.

I hope that helps
    Babz

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Thanks again. I will pay the money to which ever charity is current when an item is bought.

Cheers, Anne

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had a thought last night (it does happen occasionally ) and I can't help but feel I'm missing something, but... do we need the price limits at all?

I know we've talked about excluding the expensive repeat items, but it seems to me that the discussion was inconclusive, with people feeling both for and against and no clear consensus. So if we consider the idea that listing items known to raise high prices shouldn't exclude them, then why have the price limits at all? If a person listing doesn't want to be included in the competition side - maybe because they can't handle the work that follows next month, or because they feel they've had more than their fare share or whatever - then they just need to leave the number out of the title to declare themselves not in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I had a thought last night (it does happen occasionally ) and I can't help but feel I'm missing something, but... do we need the price limits at all?

I know we've talked about excluding the expensive repeat items, but it seems to me that the discussion was inconclusive, with people feeling both for and against and no clear consensus. So if we consider the idea that listing items known to raise high prices shouldn't exclude them, then why have the price limits at all? If a person listing doesn't want to be included in the competition side - maybe because they can't handle the work that follows next month, or because they feel they've had more than their fare share or whatever - then they just need to leave the number out of the title to declare themselves not in the running.
    My thoughts exactly - the way the discussion is or has turned is that we have 2 groups of YDCers.

a) Those that want to win the competition side of it so that they can have the prize of being able to nominate their favourite charity to have a bash at raising even more money ie a possible £300 instead of £3 so to speak - set against b) those that don't want to win the competition perhaps because of the confusuion in being the collector of funds as they come in, perhaps because they don't have time to sort listings for a targetted weekend or perhaps for other reasons.

I think it will be a case of 2 tier rules to suit both parties. Those that fall into a) the current rules as they are set to be applied and enforced. and those that fall into b) with a new set of rules (or the current rules modified) For group b) the value of the item does seem pointless - but for group a) to keep a level playing field and make it fair for everyone the value of the item does need to apply.

With regard to the big ticket items - these have drawn a mixed bag of responses from both groups, both for and against leaving them out of the competition side. As the big ticket items are currently worth more than the value set in the rules, then they should be rights be exempt from the competition side of things. They can still run in the YDC to continue to raise money as opposed to being retired, cos there are still some members who I'm sure would love to be in a position to win it to autograph it for themselves. I don't think that increasing the current value threshold is the answer as to cover the likes of the t-shirt that threshold would need to be increased into three figures.

Thats some of my thoughts on it
    Babz

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Go for it Babs !! You will never please all the folk all the time, but no-one could say your suggestion is unfair. We have to keep the perspective - the point of this is to raise money for charity.

May I suggest that you close this thread at the end of January, formulate the rules, and put them on a sticky thread for all to see.

Anyone violently against the rules does not have to raise for their charity on YDC.

Thread Information