Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Booksandstuff View Post
    I've had pheasant deer, fox, rabbit, rat, mice, hedgehog, frog/toad, lizards, squirrel.
    yes all those plus... the pond has greater crested newts in it (as well as the common newt). we also have partridge, woodpeckers, kestrals, hawks and buzzards, and once (when I was living at home still) we woke up to find 25 sheep in the garden... it turned out they had managed to cross the A303 and walk two miles to my folks garden.... love to know who/what told them they would be well fed once they got to us

We have a huge population of ringneck parakeets in this area - and they are frequent visitors, and are starting to get fairly tame.
    Although not a friendly as Godfrey (the robin)

We've had a Fieldfare coming into our garden the last few days, really nice to see. It doesn't come anywhere near the bird table but think it is feeding on some of the old fruit that is still lying around from the plum and apple trees at the bottom of the garden.

just to add
    if you are going to feed the birds, you have to be regular, otherwise they will use up their fat supplies in flying around and getting nothing in an empty garden where there may have been food the day before.
    2day while putting out food I had a robin by my shoe waiting and several birds in the tree by my shoulder.
    I feed twice a day during daylight hours, as soon as the sun starts to set they go to roost.
    also, as the bird bath has frozen over they are using the pond to drink.
    any food scraps such as meat and cheese and high fatty foods are welcome at this time of year, also do not feed them nuts from the shops that are suitable for humans as these can posion the birds, you must use only bird food nuts and seeds.

View foxescome's Feedback (+2076)
    All-About foxescome
    View foxescome's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default "feeding balls" are no good to me; the squirrels go off with the entire thing. I've t

I cut the bottom off a plastic drinks bottle & place it over the bird feeders by threading the hanger through the neck of bottle so the squirrels can't get to it. That way the squirrel can't climb down onto the feeder.
    I don't mind them feeding off the ground but they have always either destroyed or ran off with the feeders
    Irene

For Everything a Girl Could Want
    Skincare, Perfumes, Purses & Handbags.

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Reeniay-Girls

I

Quote Originally Posted by foxescome View Post
    I cut the bottom off a plastic drinks bottle & place it over the bird feeders by threading the hanger through the neck of bottle so the squirrels can't get to it. That way the squirrel can't climb down onto the feeder.
    I don't mind them feeding off the ground but they have always either destroyed or ran off with the feeders
    I've lost quite a few feeders to the squirrels. They simple bite through any plastic bits. My current feeders are several years old now; all metal and even though they go on them, they don't seem to be able to destroy them.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I commented here (http://meetup.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=120275) during last years snow that the birds seemed uninterested in anything I put out and came to the conclusion they were getting something better elsewhere. Have noticed the same behaviour this time around. They are not interested in anything - apart from the resident blackbird who loves the sultanas and spaghetti.

I feed all year round so they are used to food being there and, up until the snow, they could empty all feeders in a day.

Now the few that do come seem to take a look and pretty much turn their beaks up at everything on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I commented here (http://meetup.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=120275) during last years snow that the birds seemed uninterested in anything I put out and came to the conclusion they were getting something better elsewhere. Have noticed the same behaviour this time around. They are not interested in anything - apart from the resident blackbird who loves the sultanas and spaghetti.

I feed all year round so they are used to food being there and, up until the snow, they could empty all feeders in a day.

Now the few that do come seem to take a look and pretty much turn their beaks up at everything on offer.
    That's exactly the same here.

Same here

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1942 View Post
    Same here
    Could it be you're trying them on the wifes cooking?

Quickly finds another place to hide.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

Thread Information