My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am very proud of myself

I read about the earthquake in the newspaper the next morning. I was up and about when it happened, didn't feel anything. Neither did my neighbors.

BUT . . . we did hear a loud rumbling noise about that time, sounded like a big, big truck, but didn't last long enough to be a real one. Now we're thinking it may have been something like a sonic boom from underground. I've never heard of such a thing, but who knows? We're not in a serious seismic zone here. As far as I know, San Diego only gets minor tremors.

I was living in Los Angeles when the Northridge earthquake hit. That one shook me out of bed in the middle of the night. And, I was driving home in Wisconsin when a tornado dropped down on top of us, I had to drive out of it because there were no ditches on the road, nowhere to take shelter. Comparing the two experiences, I'll take my chances with an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    I am impressed. Looks very fiddly to make
    Yes - it was quite fiddly to start with but grew quite quickly once I had the hang of the peyote stitch - and at least I didn't perform my usual trick when making something with beads and drop them all over the floor! It was the thread here on bead weaving that made me remember I had this kit somewhere!

Tias, all your adventures make not being able to go out for a few days because of the snow seem rather tame! I am also a duffer at crochet but my Gran used to do the most wonderful work with pictures and flowers and all - I never progressed beyond what we call "Granny squares"! I taught myself dressmaking and patchwork/quilting with the help of good books on the subjects - although I know not everyone finds that an easy way to learn. There are an ever increasing numbers of youtube videos that are craft related too - which is great as you can see someone demonstrate!

I was taught to knit by my mother and my Gran but I am aware that I don't hold the needles and the wool the same way as the experts do - but I produce acceptable results quite quickly so don't worry about that.

It would be great if this thread encouraged and inspired people to have a go at a craft and with such a wealth of crafting experience on the forums there should be someone around to help!

Moony - maybe if you changed to larger needles for the top cuff - would that help? You can also get reels of knitting elastic which is very fine and transparent - you simply knit it in with the yarn (like knitting with two strands). That may help the sock stay up.

I have resolved at the start of 2010 to work on some of the many, many UFOs (Unfinished objects) around the house! So now I am back to cross stitch and a chart I found in a French cross stitch magazine - not much left to do and mainly the back stitching (my least favourite bit) but it has been waiting a long time for more attention!

Then there are three quilts waiting in the wings for their wadding and backing etc!

Does anyone else have this problem? I also spend far too much time looking at books and magazines planning my next projects!

I worked a cross stitch sampler a few years ago that hangs in my sewing room which says:-

"Why is it when I'm halfway through
    Creative joys diminish?
    It's much more fun to start a piece
    Than it ever is to finish....... "

It was designed to be left "unfinished" and has a needle with the thread still in it and an area of unfinished stitching in the corner! It's there to remind me to get on with it!!

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well, I am with you on that one. I determined last summer to finish things before starting anything new - alas, I have not been too successful

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have mountains of fabric that I'm meant to be turning into all kinds of projects.....don't even know where the directions are for a lot of them. And mom had mountains of fabric in the same condition, although she also had some random quilt blocks, quilt tops sketched out on graph paper, and forgotten things in embroidery hoops.

Last year I sold quite a few of the quilting books I was sure I'd never use....this year I find myself tempted to buy some of them back because they look so appealing to me now
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

View saltylady's Feedback (+707)
    All-About saltylady
    View saltylady's Listings
    Forum Posts

think it must be a crafters thing to start something and never quiet finish it,
    i hoard stuff i see something and think it will come in usefull for something.....
    i've still got a 1/2 finished peg rug upstairs from years ago,
    loads of cardmaking stuff
    glass bottles,
    i've still got loads of dried and silk flowers
    deep picture frames i was going to do loads of different things with
    material oozing out of my cupboards ribbons bows
    i hate throwing anything away it might come in one day
    my aim this year is to use it all before i aquire anything else

I find if I don't finish a knitting project, it is just not right somehow and best to just take it apart and use yarn for something else. Same with beading, if I don't have that enthusiasm to finish something, then I really won't like it enough to use it when it is done.

Don't see big need to finish everything tho, usually I have three project bags of knitting going on at once. One bag with baby hats I work on at auctions. No brainer stuff. Then an easy scarf or hat, then a more difficult pattern that takes more attention to follow. I don't see anything wrong with switching off. Sometimes you just can't concentrate (like at an auction or watching tv) to do anything hard but have to keep your finger busy.

It is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a big box full of cross-stiching projects and materials..underneath my bed + a latchhook rug that isn't finished.

Looks like they'll have to wait till my socks are knitted

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here is dress No1 (No 2 has to be done within the next two weeks)

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wow Meebo, that dress is beautiful

How were you able to keep the chocolate stains off of it? Did you stitch with gloves on, and remove them for snacking?
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Thread Information