Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Help with an Operating System please.

Default Help with an Operating System please.

Hi i have a laptop running XP Home that has all the usual add ons from the manufacturer that i don't want or need. I just want a clean install of XP Pro without all the 'gumf' Dell installs. I'd prefer the Pro version to Home!

Don't know much about operating systems so thought i'd ask before buying, will this one be ok. I'm asking because it says 'for System Builders' Thanks for any advice.

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?...931&mo=auction
    Last edited by lutami; 2nd December 2009 at 09:42 PM.

So you want to upgrade to XP Pro from XP Home? Is either version still available now that Vista and Windows 7 are/were released?

I know where you are coming from. I needed to replace my laptop and bought a used business return so that I could keep XP a bit longer. Unfortunately MSN claims they will stop supporting XP in a few years so we might have to take the plunge sooner than we want to.

Isn't XP Pro for computer technicians/developers with multiple computers? If you don't need that, and want to keep junk to a minimum, have you checked out MSN site? Maybe you can download some features of XP Pro without buying an expensive version of something you already have?

Sorry I am not more helpful. Wait a bit and someone else will come along.
    Last edited by deltadelta48; 3rd December 2009 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks delta, i already have W7 on a PC but yes prefer the stable XP on the laptop, just that when i reformat i have to spend ages removing all the Dell 'bumf' and have in the past made a few 'errors' so had to redo

I've just noticed that i can ask the seller, missed the box earlier!

Thanks again

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would just like to point out that it is technically illegal to sell non-retail copies of Microsoft Windows, there was a big furore about people selling OEM copies a while ago, and this one looks like it is OEM (a version that is shipped with a computer). Ask if this comes with a product key, OEM copies don't always have them included with the booklet.

As for Pro vs Home, I would never want Home - it's just a crippled version of the full Windows Pro. So, most home users probably don't need some of the advanced features, but that's no reason to confuse and rip them off with an inferior product. Go for the Pro / Ultimate version of Windows every time if at all possible, there's nothing worse than wanting to do something only to find that it's a Pro / Ultimate only feature!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agree.. i use pro and ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by lutami View Post
    Hi i have a laptop running XP Home that has all the usual add ons from the manufacturer that i don't want or need. I just want a clean install of XP Pro without all the 'gumf' Dell installs. I'd prefer the Pro version to Home!

Don't know much about operating systems so thought i'd ask before buying, will this one be ok. I'm asking because it says 'for System Builders' Thanks for any advice.

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?...931&mo=auction
    what you need is a Dell XP pro Reinstallation CD. If you have a home edition serial number the XP pro will install with the same serial. I do it all the time. if you can't find 1 on ebid.net you can always find one on ebay(dare I say). yes it is ilegal to sell one but its not your account that will get penalized the ebay account will. (You do need a dell PC for this to work).

Oh dear, bought two, i have an older laptop thought i would also upgrade to XP from 2000.

One CD wouldn't install, kept getting errors, the second CD installed but doesn't pass Windows WGA test, tells me counterfiet don't understand that as it's a hologrammed disc with COA sticker

I informed seller who has immediately refunded my money, no quibble.

Thanks bb didn't know that, good idea

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lutami View Post
    I informed seller who has immediately refunded my money, no quibble.
    Hardly surprising, they probably didn't cost the seller anything as most companies who buy batches of corporate PCs chuck all of the recovery CDs in a drawer or the bin. Technically they should remain with the PC they were sold with and be destroyed along with that PC when it reaches the end of it's life.

I would suggest keeping a look out for a genuine retail box copy of Windows XP Pro, which may be more difficult to find than one may think due to the number of OEM and copies which constantly flood the market.

Of course, while you're reformatting, you could give something like Ubuntu linux a try. It's a very easy introduction to linux, no technical knowledge required to install and get up and running with email, web browsing, and OpenOffice etc. In fact, you can try it out without even installing, or it can be installed along side you current Windows installation. I have been critical of linux in the past but Ubuntu has recently gone up in my estimation for it's general ease of use.

PS... there are various ways to force the WGA to pass, some more legal than others, look it up on t'internet.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 21st December 2009 at 07:43 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Forum Newbie
    View skyway1222's Feedback (+5)
    All-About skyway1222
    View skyway1222's Listings
    Forum Posts

Exclamation Solutions for your Operating headache

Hi, lutami,
    I have Win XP Professional disk which passes MS validation. If you want it, come and visit my store at ebid. I not only sells softwares, but also provide solutions. I have a software that can delete or uninstall anything you don't want in your computer. It cleans any gabage from your PC or laptop.

I just opened my store today, not even decorate it yet. Grand opening, great discounts.

Thread Information