Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Booksellers. Why ...

Quote Originally Posted by gyronny View Post
    Amazon is very easy to list books on. Their charges are quite high so the price needs to be loaded somewhat, but buyers seem prepared to pay the extra. Amazon has a reputation for customer service as well.
    Greenmet is easy to list on and many of the ebay sellers have migrated to there.
    Ebid, which should be a natural and obvious place for the sellers to migrate to, still has a very low profile, many of us spread the word, but it's only small publicity.
    I think, and wish the management did too, that the time is ripe for a publicity push, an advert on ebay itself might do the trick. Wouldn't that be fun!

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Gyronny-Books
    Yes, Amazon is very easy to list on, the whole description of the book (title, publisher, date, picture, format etc.) is there already for you, all you have to do is to describe the condition of your particular copy. They also have a very efficient bulk uploader and a gazillion third party inventory management tools which plug effortlessly into their api.

This is where eBid totally falls down, it takes forever to list each item separately. I have an inventory of over 3000 books, which I considered listing here, and then lost the will to live.

I must admit I'm surprised larger booksellers have gone to Green Met, that was another one where all books have to be listed individually, they didn't used to cope well at all with more than a couple of hundred books. I had to get them to delist mine manually at their end when I finally gave up on them because their servers couldn't cope with more than one deletion at a time. When I complained about it, I got an email back telling me that they were only set up for private people selling their own copies, a sort of book exchange with money.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it's mostly paperback sellers that have gone to greenmet. There are very few hardbacks on there. It's not really a collector's market place

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gyronny View Post
    I think it's mostly paperback sellers that have gone to greenmet. There are very few hardbacks on there. It's not really a collector's market place
    Most of the books I sell on greenmet are hardback books I have picked up for pennies at bootsales and charity shops.

I get paid enough to make a profit on every book, since I charge a bit extra for the added postage I have to pay.

I also buy my hardback books there

I recently started moving my book sales over here. I doubt people are moving to amazon due to pricing. I live in the states, so the free shipping rule with feebay doesnt apply ....... yet. But, hey..... nothing is free right?? Feebay's sellers still have to pay for shipping, so they add the shipping into the price. In turn, this raises the final value fee of the item. To compensate for that increase, they raise the price of the item. My opinion, maybe sellers are "gun shy" on trying something free such as ebid cause feebay turn the term "free" into a nightmare. Or...... maybe I am nuts. LOL.

http://us.ebid.net/stores/Countryside-Books

Quote Originally Posted by cntrysdas082008 View Post
    I recently started moving my book sales over here. I doubt people are moving to amazon due to pricing. I live in the states, so the free shipping rule with feebay doesnt apply ....... yet. But, hey..... nothing is free right?? Feebay's sellers still have to pay for shipping, so they add the shipping into the price. In turn, this raises the final value fee of the item. To compensate for that increase, they raise the price of the item. My opinion, maybe sellers are "gun shy" on trying something free such as ebid cause feebay turn the term "free" into a nightmare. Or...... maybe I am nuts. LOL.

http://us.ebid.net/stores/Countryside-Books

I agree with you. Rules are out the window because of the economy and feebay's shananigans over last few years. Sellers are looking for new alternate sites and THIS TIME they are asking lots of questions. Who can blame them? Once bitten, twice shy.

Alternative sites have changed too. But thru persistence, fair rules for all, ebid came out on top as the #1 alternative auction site. Ten years of hard work. Some of the smaller sites may not survive as they attracted few ex feebayers and sellers know better than try to sell on a site with almost no buyers.

So what next? Who gets the book sales, the coins, etc? Who knows, the rules and field have now changed. feebay ain't down for the count, but has stumbled badly when they lost their first BIG contract with GM. Sellers will be suspicious of ebid or any site now and will be careful where they invest their time and money.

Forum Lurker
    Only One, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Feedback (+388)
    All-About Annes_Nostalgia
    View Annes_Nostalgia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    - and yet most of the titles I want aren't there.

I think more booksellers should at least list part of their stock here. Lets face it, they have a vast number of customers and are the most likely ones to bring with them people looking for collectibles, second hand stuff, which is the one area of the market place that would draw customers to the site.

Rant over.
    Have you tried the 'Wanted". Many booksellers have lost of books waiting to be listed and not enough time to do the listing, so a Wanted may dig out the title you are after.

The books you mentioned are hard to find unless we're looking for them. I can look for them here in SE Wisconsin, USA. I have about 10 Used book stores in my area, and may be able to find them for you. At cost plus postage. Will include receipt for verification. Also, isn't the John Christopher "No Blade Of Grass"?

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the offer but I did get them ;-)

No Blade of Grass was the title in the US - I can't remember why they changed it for that location but there was a reason ...

Merchandising. Change the title...must be a diferent book. Everyone must have the newest one. Nevermind the reprinting. It's all psychological.

I have migrated from feeBay to here with my BOOK STORE. And from the store, I list the books in categories so they're easy to find. I have many more to list, but doing them singly is not so bad, as I can check that the details and picture are correct.

Thread Information