eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Booksellers. Why ...

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Kimbo, it's probably a little like paintings - you can't search out every artist that may be worth something a little extra. A lot of the time they have to be up there for people to see them and if they are 'up there' but hidden in a crowd then it's less likely people will spot them and the seller is less likely to get the best price. Would you sell something today for £20, that maybe you would get £400 for if you could get it the right venue.
    Leads me to ask ... why did I post in 'Quick Reply...'

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Kimbo, it's probably a little like paintings - you can't search out every artist that may be worth something a little extra. A lot of the time they have to be up there for people to see them and if they are 'up there' but hidden in a crowd then it's less likely people will spot them and the seller is less likely to get the best price. Would you sell something today for £20, that maybe you would get £400 for if you could get it the right venue.
    Leads me to ask ... why did I post in 'Quick Reply...'
    Got it in one. Absolutely hit the nail on the head there.

I'm looking at this from a buyers and a sellers perspective, and I think that if the category became a reality, I may be able to enitce other Pulp book sellers and collectors onto Ebid.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Put the right price on it at buy now - you can't possibly lose. The worst thing that happens is it doesn't sell, which is guarandamnteed if you don't list it. The best thing that happens is that somebody finds it on google, comes here, sees your shop and buys six other things as well.

Or you can just carry on waiting for somebody else to get off their backside and make the world perfect.

Would it be a good idea to put 'pulp' or 'pulp fiction' as keywords in the title. I know there could be confusion with the book of the same name, but is that a risk worth taking?

All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post

Or you can just carry on waiting for somebody else to get off their backside and make the world perfect.

When I compare Ebid to Ebay, I think the world is already pretty close to perfect.

I really am still torn about whether I want to list my Fever Heat book or not. I know that it is one I will very unlikely be able to find again, so IF it is sold that's it - Gone.

I think I would miss this one. Some of the others I have not read yet, and won't list them until I have.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
    When I compare Ebid to Ebay, I think the world is already pretty close to perfect.

I really am still torn about whether I want to list my Fever Heat book or not. I know that it is one I will very unlikely be able to find again, so IF it is sold that's it - Gone.

I think I would miss this one. Some of the others I have not read yet, and won't list them until I have.
    Why didn't you say so in the first place instead of coming up with all those silly excuses? "I don't want to sell it yet, I haven't read it" is something I can totally empathise with.

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Kimbo, a lot of the time you don't know what the 'right' price is. Put it in an auction where it's likely to get a lot of viewings and it could go for a lot more (or less) than the last one that appeared went for.
    It's a bit like saying, "Do I put it in a local weekly auction or do I put it in Christies?"
    I've got paintings that I'd like to list on here, but I won't because I know they won't fetch the price they could if listed in the 'right' place.

Put it this way: when I first started out selling paintings I sold them on yahoo, freeserve and QXL. Had a very consistent buyer - who was simply shifting them over to t'other side (including my photos incidentally!) and selling them for a lot, lot more.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Kimbo, a lot of the time you don't know what the 'right' price is. Put it in an auction where it's likely to get a lot of viewings and it could go for a lot more (or less) than the last one that appeared went for.
    It's a bit like saying, "Do I put it in a local weekly auction or do I put it in Christies?"
    I've got paintings that I'd like to list on here, but I won't because I know they won't fetch the price they could if listed in the 'right' place.

Put it this way: when I first started out selling paintings I sold them on yahoo, freeserve and QXL. Had a very consistent buyer - who was simply shifting them over to t'other side (including my photos incidentally!) and selling them for a lot, lot more.

Okay, I accept that's your experience. I'm not sure that applies to the pulp books we were talking about, but not to worry.

All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Why didn't you say so in the first place instead of coming up with all those silly excuses? "I don't want to sell it yet, I haven't read it" is something I can totally empathise with.

I'd still like to see the category appear - and hopefully people will give it a try with books that they feel will fit in. It's more as a buyer I'm interested, than as a seller.

I do have a few pennies to spend on books and records - (Although I do have to be careful) But to trawl through reams and reams of regular modern crime or thriller or action etc, to maybe find one suitable book - I don't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
    I'd still like to see the category appear - and hopefully people will give it a try with books that they feel will fit in. It's more as a buyer I'm interested, than as a seller.

I do have a few pennies to spend on books and records - (Although I do have to be careful) But to trawl through reams and reams of regular modern crime or thriller or action etc, to maybe find one suitable book - I don't have the time.
    I have no idea what is classed as a pulp fiction book.
    When buying I search by author and never browse the categories. If I want to try a different author I get one from the library first to see if I like them. If I do I will then hunt out all their books and gradually buy them as funds allow.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Thread Information