Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ebid please please advertise yourselves

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

And you two keep chasing it round with your paws. I love seeing cats do that.

But I agree with the rest of you, just hold off the change until it is either fully functioning, or at least until it is not going to cause problems that we are unable to work round.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Labels like the one you described are available from Gothicina, I assume that she will update them with the new logo when we start using it.

Regarding the e-mail addresses and data protection, I may have mis-understood but I am under the impression that you are prevented from passing details to others. As far as I know there is no problem with using the details for marketing your own stuff. If marketing your own stuff is illegal then alot of very well known names are breaking the law, as I get marketing stuff from all sorts of companies that I have bought from previously. To cover yourself you could include your e-mail address at the bottom stating "if you do not wish to receive further e-mails please contact".
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Regarding the e-mail addresses and data protection, I may have mis-understood but I am under the impression that you are prevented from passing details to others. As far as I know there is no problem with using the details for marketing your own stuff. If marketing your own stuff is illegal then alot of very well known names are breaking the law, as I get marketing stuff from all sorts of companies that I have bought from previously. To cover yourself you could include your e-mail address at the bottom stating "if you do not wish to receive further e-mails please contact".
    The DPA states:

Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
    So if you are provided with personal information in order that you can supply an item purchased that does not give you the right to then use that data for marketing purposes without the prior consent of the data subject.

I hate the 'assumption of consent' you refer to at the end of your post - which is, sadly, all too common.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Okay Astral,in the text you quote it says that you can obtain information for legal or specified reasons. As far as I know marketing your product is not illegal, but maybe I missed the legislation that prohibited it.

I am too tired to look up the details at the moment, but will have a look tomorrow.

As for the "assumption of consent" - you may dislike it, but I am sure it must be legal, or big name companies with flashy lawyers would not indulge in it.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Okay Astral,in the text you quote it says that you can obtain information for legal or specified reasons. As far as I know marketing your product is not illegal, but maybe I missed the legislation that prohibited it.
    No. The key word in this context is 'specified' rather than 'legal'. If you obtain information for the purposes of shipping an item then that information should not be used for any other purpose unless that purpose was made known to the data provider before they supplied the information.

As for the "assumption of consent" - you may dislike it, but I am sure it must be legal, or big name companies with flashy lawyers would not indulge in it.
    I didn't say it was illegal; I simply said I hated it. A personal opinion.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

In that case logically if you put in your text that if buyers do not wish to contacted later they should let you know then you would be cleared. That is something for me to consider for policy change.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Email marketing is governed by law on data protection, privacy and e-commerce, but this shouldn't cause you any problems if you plan your campaign carefully. For more information on data protection laws visit the Information Commissioner's website where they have further information on privacy laws or you can go to the DTI website to read more about e-commerce laws (PDF).
    • The Data Protection Act regulates how you build and manage your customer database. You need to make sure you're also complying with the law when sending emails to people who aren't already customers.
    • Don't reveal recipients' details on any emails - this is a breach of data-protection law. Use your email software to create a mailing group that sends a blind carbon copy (bcc) to each recipient.
    • Under privacy regulations, senders of email marketing messages must not conceal their identity.
    • Under e-commerce regulations, marketing emails must include certain information about your business, including its full name, contact details and a clear indication of prices if you refer to them.
    • There must also be a valid address for people to opt out of receiving emails from you.
    • Make sure emails sent without the recipient's permission can be clearly identified as an unsolicited commercial email before opening.
    • You cannot send unsolicited marketing messages by email to individual subscribers unless you have the recipient's prior consent. There are exemptions if the email address was collected in the course or a sale or sale negotiation or if the recipient has already expressed an interest in "similar" items and also chose not to opt out when the address was originally collected. "Individual subscribers" include residential subscribers, sole traders and unincorporated partnerships in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not companies or individuals within companies.
    • E-commerce regulations require you to make all commercial email clearly identifiable as such, either in the header or within the text of the email
    you are allowed acording to the above to contact anyone who has bought of you in the past, the relavent laws are to protect your present/past customer from you passing on the contact details
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

i agree 120% links are what will make e-bid what it could become. We can help by using face book and many other avenues.

http://us.ebid.net/stores/Timeless-T...ry-and-Watches

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    Email marketing is governed by law on data protection, privacy and e-commerce, but this shouldn't cause you any problems if you plan your campaign carefully. For more information on data protection laws visit the Information Commissioner's website where they have further information on privacy laws or you can go to the DTI website to read more about e-commerce laws (PDF).
    • The Data Protection Act regulates how you build and manage your customer database. You need to make sure you're also complying with the law when sending emails to people who aren't already customers.
    • Don't reveal recipients' details on any emails - this is a breach of data-protection law. Use your email software to create a mailing group that sends a blind carbon copy (bcc) to each recipient.
    • Under privacy regulations, senders of email marketing messages must not conceal their identity.
    • Under e-commerce regulations, marketing emails must include certain information about your business, including its full name, contact details and a clear indication of prices if you refer to them.
    • There must also be a valid address for people to opt out of receiving emails from you.
    • Make sure emails sent without the recipient's permission can be clearly identified as an unsolicited commercial email before opening.
    • You cannot send unsolicited marketing messages by email to individual subscribers unless you have the recipient's prior consent. There are exemptions if the email address was collected in the course or a sale or sale negotiation or if the recipient has already expressed an interest in "similar" items and also chose not to opt out when the address was originally collected. "Individual subscribers" include residential subscribers, sole traders and unincorporated partnerships in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not companies or individuals within companies.
    • E-commerce regulations require you to make all commercial email clearly identifiable as such, either in the header or within the text of the email
    you are allowed acording to the above to contact anyone who has bought of you in the past, the relavent laws are to protect your present/past customer from you passing on the contact details

Of course UK to UK only. Does not apply to US to UK, US TO US etc.

But we are proposing a single contact to tell our old feebay customers where we went. That is all. Many sellers disappeared overnight and there are even websites dedicated to where favorite feebay sellers went. So buyers do want to know and will not consider ONE contact spam.

If we decided to sell our customer's names and addresses, that is something else.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

"But we are proposing a single contact to tell our old feebay customers where we went. That is all."

" There are exemptions if the email address was collected in the course of a sale or sale negotiation or if the recipient has already expressed an interest in "similar" items"

think you missed that bit Delta you can contact your ex customers and tell them were you are
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thread Information