eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Depression Glassware

Forum Lurker
    View sweetwheatz's Feedback (+38)
    All-About sweetwheatz
    View sweetwheatz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Depression Glassware

Is depression glassware as popular as it once was. I have a close to complete set of Miss America and several pieces of American (cube).

Ray

View banrigh's Feedback (+2949)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

Glassware sells slower on this site. Clear Depression glass is not as popular as the colors, but its always been that way.

I love glassware and china and find it sells slowly everywhere on line (feebay and here). People do collect it but seem to be reluctant to pay for the shipping on the items which tend to be heavier. You get questioned why the weight is 12 lbs, why you need to add extra packaging etc. And when you consider the price per lb to ship things, that will be an expensive box to mail. Buyers just don't like to pay that much.

An alternative might be selling smaller items, like salt and peppers, small plates/bowls etc, which will have more reasonable shipping which appeals to buyers.

Or locally they seem to sell well, at consignment shops and auctions. You might want to offer your set or a few pieces to an auction house or consignment shop and see how it does (at least you will not have to wrap it to ship).

I have sold Depression glass on the other site quite recently. I sell a lot of art deco glass and pottery & I agree with Delta, that I believe a lot of people are put off buying these kind of items due to the postage charged because of the weight.

I do sell stuff, but very slowly!

Forum Lurker
    Eastern Wisconsin, Wisconsin, United States
    View manna77's Feedback (+678)
    All-About manna77
    View manna77's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi, Manna 77 here, I am glad I read the threads posted about depression glass, and other items. I have
    5 boxes of stuff that my mother and grandmother had. I have looked in books and found some of it there.
    I am thinking of opening a store just to put these items in. On ebay there is so much listed, in this field,
    that it is hard to sell anything there.
    Does anyone know of a shipping insurance on the internet, or if ebid has any? I would not ship any of
    this glassware without insurance, even if I had to pay for it. I love old things. Any ideas would be useful.
    Thanks Manna77 Louise

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdeco View Post
    I have sold Depression glass on the other site quite recently. I sell a lot of art deco glass and pottery & I agree with Delta, that I believe a lot of people are put off buying these kind of items due to the postage charged because of the weight.

I do sell stuff, but very slowly!
    It's the same with books - a potential customer adds on the postage and the total package looks unattractive.

BUT! If you then take the lowest parcel rate (Which in UK is £4.41 for up to 2kg) you can't afford to go so much as a gram over.

I can; within these restictions get around 8 or nine average sized paperbacks in to a pack.
    So 8 x RRP of £6.99 = Just shy of £56 worth of books for a bargain price of ? + £4.41 postage looks really attractive.

Thing is if your packed item goes well under 2kg, you may think I'll add another item to make it more attractive and you will also be maximising the 2kg you are paying for anyway!

Offering single items doesn't always cut it nowadays - But offer a great deal without slipping up on postage you will probably make more sales.

Hope that helps someone!

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View futurespast's Feedback (+9)
    All-About futurespast
    View futurespast's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi
    I have quite a lot of depression glass in my shed which i find sells slowly now rather than a few years back i mainly sell Whitefriars Crystal Glass now and have a free blog for information only so people can look up different pieces they may find at car boots or fairs etc items not that much to post oversears 1kg about $26 for crystal glass that is no longer made well worth it in my opinion but it depends on how much you want an item.
    Please browse my store's and find something nice for your home thank you futurespast.
    http://whitefriars-crystal-glass-sales.ebid.net/

http://paperweight-palace.ebid.net

My Free Information blog on Whitefriars glass.
    http://gloriousartglass.blogspot.com/

Warman's or Gene Florence's books on depression give the best information on identifying. Warman's has thumbnail pictures which I have found very helpful. I have hundred's of pieces of depression glass listed here. There does not seem to be much of a market. I do not think it is because people do ot want it anymore, I just think with the economy you have to choose more carefully what you buy. I sold some at Christmas season, but that's about it. Most libraries have at least one or two books on depression glass.

Hope this helps.

Forum Newbie
    East London/Essex Borders, Essex, United Kingdom
    View thaliagrace's Feedback (+29)
    All-About thaliagrace
    View thaliagrace's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Depression Glassware

I just found this thread and thought I would post my own experiences. I have recently started selling quite a lot of depression glass (not on ebid though unfortunately) but strangely enough virtually all my buyers were in Australia which is not a traditional market for the glass.

Thread Information