eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Fraud maybe?

Forum Newbie
    View alternatum's Feedback (+199)
    All-About alternatum
    View alternatum's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Fraud maybe?

Ebid support has been useless in helping me so far, I've had my first sale ever on ebid since being on ebid, although daily sales on ebay - get what you pay for I guess!

In any case I've had a sale with a buyer who has no feedback and has paid by Paypal but the transaction isn't covered because the buyer is using an unconfirmed address. Of course I don't want to make the sale, please can someone tell me what to do? I've emailed support and I emphasise they don't seem to read the question, so don't give a relevant answer. I'm hoping someone else on here knows what to do... please help :-)

I have emailed the buyer and messaged him but have had no reply.

My P**pal address is "unconfirmed" as is everyone else's who lives in France - for some unknown reason P**pal will not list addresses here as "confirmed" (and presumably in other countries too). I am certainly not a fraudster and I've had no problem using my account for years. Most sellers on e*** and here know this fact and no-one has ever queried it.

So as your buyer has paid I am not sure what makes you think it is a fraudulent purchase?

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alternatum View Post
    Ebid support has been useless in helping me so far, I've had my first sale ever on ebid since being on ebid, although daily sales on ebay - get what you pay for I guess!

In any case I've had a sale with a buyer who has no feedback and has paid by Paypal but the transaction isn't covered because the buyer is using an unconfirmed address. Of course I don't want to make the sale, please can someone tell me what to do? I've emailed support and I emphasise they don't seem to read the question, so don't give a relevant answer. I'm hoping someone else on here knows what to do... please help :-)

I don't think you get the same level of seller protection from paypal on here as you do e*bay anyway.
    I am sure that just because the address is unconfirmed you do not need to cancel the sale. We all had to start somewhere.
    Was the item expensive ?

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've had a quick look at your about me and listings, and don't see anything saying you don't accept unconfirmed addresses. So unless it was on the particular listing that sold, I think if you refuse to go ahead it will be counted against you. That's your choice, of course, they can't twist your arm up your back but you can get a neg from your buyer and it's not a great start to your ebid record. I never check the status of addresses, and will ship to other locations anyway if people are buying gifts, for example. Never had a problem. Still, if you wish to stop the sale, you wish to stop the sale. eBid are unlikely to help you do that, so I suggest you refund the paypal payment via their site and put a message in the refund explaining why. The sale will still stand here, because it's a valid sale with a valid payment, but you'll just have to hope they don't try to pay again.

As I say, I'm not recommending this at all, but that's all I think you can do if you're determined not to accept the sale.

p.s. Why not just let the sale go through and be grateful? If you don't, you'll be damaging your own and ebid's reputation, and that's hardly fair on the rest of us.
    Last edited by bykimbo; 30th October 2009 at 09:09 AM.

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

not 100% sure but I think an address in not confirmed ...until a sale has been completed...this might be the problem ??? as said , if it is not a large amount ? try it....but it is your choice.....Papa.

Quote Originally Posted by alternatum View Post

I just mailed an item to a member with an "unconfirmed" PayPal address. We've done it before, and never had a problem. Also, about a third of our sales here have been to new members with no feedback.

How long has it been since you emailed the buyer? I'd give it a few days, because some people don't check their email every day.

Unconfirmed addresses in other countries is sort of standard. USPS can not confirm that a address/addressee/street exists in France or South Africa etc, but will allow shipments with insurance if seller choses a very expensive shipping option. PP's probably basis its info on this and whether the credit card has same address?

Of course it does not make person a crook, neither does having no feedback and being a new member. A vast majority of my new customers are from google search and are brand spanking new to ebid. Have very little trouble.

I guess I would proceed if the amount was not huge, and after I corresponded with the person. A little conversation will help you to establish if they are alright.

Thread Information