eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: How to get euro symbol using spreadsheet

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How to get euro symbol using spreadsheet

I just uploaded some listings by spreadsheet and though I typed € in Excel, when I checked the listings all the euro signs were a little square instead
    I tried to upload in Unicode txt instead of normal txt, but that didn't work at all.

For now I have replaced € with Euro, but I know I have uploaded € before.

Can anyone remind me how to do it?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Default Re: How to get euro symbol using spreadsheet

If entering in HTML editing mode, use: €

Forum Lurker
    View JDStamps's Feedback (+14452)
    All-About JDStamps
    View JDStamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Alt code for Euro symbol is 0128 €

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Thanks, I now load euro into my spreadsheet listings by typing:
    Name:  euro.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  907 Bytes
    (Obviously, if I type that in this forum, it will come out as €, hence the image
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

Blame the Yanks. They invented ASCII (guess what the 'A' stands for). Even the British pound wasn't included. The Euro wasn't introduced until 1999, so without a crystal ball the omission is excusable. Whereas the British pound sterling goes back to before William the Conq!

But why would they consider other currencies? I've even been asked by the Vice President of a large corporation, about to make his first tour of Europe, "Say, do you use dollars in London?". Admittedly this was in Florida. Bless!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Blame the Yanks. They invented ASCII (guess what the 'A' stands for). Even the British pound wasn't included. The Euro wasn't introduced until 1999, so without a crystal ball the omission is excusable. Whereas the British pound sterling goes back to before William the Conq!

But why would they consider other currencies? I've even been asked by the Vice President of a large corporation, about to make his first tour of Europe, "Say, do you use dollars in London?". Admittedly this was in Florida. Bless!
    Actually, the £ symbol (ASCII 0163) has been a part of the ASCII character set used in the US at least since 1987 (along with a few other currency symbols). This was over a decade before the Euro was even in use. Even earlier character sets used in the US contained £ characters, although it wasn't part of the earliest USASCII (c. 1970, which only contained characters present on US typewriters and teletype printers). Perhaps you'll recall that, before Unicode, each region (and regional keyboard type) had its own ASCII/ANSII character set/code page that contained the most commonly used national characters for each region. Extensions added more characters as time progressed, until today's unified character set gradually began to be implemented in the mid 1990s. I dealt with those evolving standards throughout that time in my publishing job.

As to the VP from Florida - yeah, I wouldn't dispute that. Corporate types certainly do tend to "rise to the level of their incompetence"
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 6th May 2020 at 01:42 AM.

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    Actually, the £ symbol (ASCII 0163) has been a part of the ASCII character set used in the US at least since 1987 (along with a few other currency symbols). This was over a decade before the Euro was even in use. Even earlier character sets used in the US contained £ characters, although it wasn't part of the earliest USASCII (c. 1970, which only contained characters present on US typewriters and teletype printers). Perhaps you'll recall that, before Unicode, each region (and regional keyboard type) had its own ASCII/ANSII character set/code page that contained the most commonly used national characters for each region. Extensions added more characters as time progressed, until today's unified character set gradually began to be implemented in the mid 1990s. I dealt with those evolving standards throughout that time in my publishing job.
    For me, it is the unreliability of symbols when uploading on spreadsheet.
    European umlauts and accents, Polish zloti seem OK, but then I see, maybe after relisting, that the symbol has been scrambled on my listings.
    It is not only euro, sometimes £, and even ', never mind half and quarter that get scrambled.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post

As to the VP from Florida - yeah, I wouldn't dispute that. Corporate types certainly do tend to "rise to the level of their incompetence"
    Yes, not the original 7-bit ASCII though. I do indeed recall those things. The regional code pages were a bit of a kluge, it took a long time for Unicode to come along, but not surprising considering how precious storage was. I've even worked on machines where storage was conserved by using a compressed alphanumeric code that squeezed 3 characters into 16 bits!

I thought the VP was pulling my leg, but then I remembered he didn't have a sense of humour. To be fair, it was going to be the first time he even ventured out of the state, let alone the country!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information