Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Would you like a Best Offer option here on eBid?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • For it completely, and would use it all the time.

16 18.39%
  • For it, and would use it on some stuff.

31 35.63%
  • For it, but wouldn’t use it that often.

3 3.45%
  • For it, but wouldn’t use it personally. If others like it they should have it available to them.

7 8.05%
  • I don’t really don’t care either way.

13 14.94%
  • Against it completely.

17 19.54%
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Would you like the OPTION of "Best Offer" available on eBid?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by booksforsale View Post
    Read the Gazza message again. He hasn't totally ruled out best offer.
    Weaverboy wants the membership polled - It seems 'spamming' with an email is out of the question according to the enlightened amongst us.

Would it still be spam if the owner's wished to get our opinion on selling out to ebay? Although only an example to illustrate people's perception of spam, an ebay takeover is a possibility and I am pretty sure you would all be up in arms if ebid did not 'spam' you with this info.

What is the harm in including the following in the Newsletter:

Best Offer is a HOT Topic - We'd LOVE your opinion.

then go onto say some basic detail and how those who ARE interested can give their opinion.

What is so 'spammy' about that?

As for the "not everyone wants a newsletter or stuff like that.", the newsletter is OPTIONAL.
    However much you roll your eyes at me*, what Weaver boy has been screaming for is for the guys to send out a special message asking folks to come to this thread. That would be the thin end of an incredibly large wedge. It would result in a deluge of spam, if all one had to do is say "oi Gazza ask the members" and a message was sent out.

The idea of asking in a regular newsletter doesn't bother me at all - that's a subscribed service and cannot be considered spam at all. If ebid really wanted to know, I'd be happy for them to ask. What I don't want to see is them asking a question just to shut up one loud or persistent member - another large wedge. Hey, I want a question asked in the newsletter and I know that if I post a million times a day and annoy the heck out of everybody, and shout and pout and stamp my feet it *works*! Yippee!!

Since Gazza's given an answer and an explanation, I suggest that everybody puts down their whips and leaves the poor blessed horse for the knacker's to deal with.

*No, you didn't name me, but yes I used the word spam, so you're addressing me all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    That's to long, it will be buried in the archives by then,
    or we will all be fed up with it like the last one and you'll turn it into a soap.

2-3 weeks is ample, then you can put the results to the boys, and see what happens.

I suggest you restart the poll with just 3 weeks to run.
    So if it is an overwelming vote in favour,
    it could be implemented before Christmas.

I think this sums the thread up perfectly, did you have a crystal ball?

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    I think this sums the thread up perfectly, did you have a crystal ball?

Yes, but after the cold weather a brass monkey nicked it.

---------- ---------

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Our new site is all about simplification of the trading process, adding Best Offer goes against this. Best Offer is not currently in our upcoming plans.But as ever we will listen to our users and if in the future it becomes obvious that it will be beneficial to us then we investgate.
    Gazza
    All along you've said you want to hear from Admin about this, well you have, so why won't you accept their answer?

Gazza hasn't ruled out looking at this again in the future, so why not see what the new site has to offer first?

Then if you still think it's necessary revisit this subject then.

The Newsletter is for News about eBid the Site, it also has an occasional quote from the forums so it's not as if their existance is a secret. Anybody that's interested is perfectly free to read/participate in the forums if they wish.

If the newsletter was changed so it became an avenue to promote this or that poll on the forums, then I would change my preferences so I no longer received it.

If Admin decide they want to run an occasional survey about functions on the site, I would be more than happy to participate.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

I'm just glad someone from the admin team chimed in. Whether they would have been for or against the issue at hand, the important thing is they chimed in and brought the issue to a conclusion. Had they said, "Sure, we'll use this suggestion and try to make it work in the near future", I would have been happy too if only because it effectively puts this nonsense thread to rest. Well, we can only hope it does! If the bumping continues, it'll be definitive proof that the individual responsible for the poll and the bumping is deranged and needs some kind of action taken against him. Even if his actions are within the rules, the forum experience has been changed and likely harmed for a good number of people.

Clearly, the poll needs to be closed NOW because the voting numbers are almost at a standstill. What's the point in bumping the thread every day if it's only going to get one or two votes per week? Especially given that the number of votes, as someone pointed out previously, is less than 1% of the total eBid membership? It's clear this thread is not about the poll. The poll is done, even if there's two months to go. There will not be a flourish of votes in the near future or on the last day before closing. This thread is simply a thinly-veiled lobbying effort and a protest rolled together, and I have a strong suspicion that all the screaming and pushing to get a haggling option installed actually worked against the effort. Had the admins had even the slightest inclination to build a haggling option into the new site, it was probably eradicated by the actions of certain people on this thread. You folks who fervidly supported Best Offer were your own worst enemies and allowed yourself to be used. You were completely unable to differentiate your support for Best Offer from what was really going on here. I can't recall one person stating something to the effect that "I support Best Offer but this is NOT the way to go about getting it!" What a pity.

TY Gazza for your post.
    ================

The biggest truths are always left unsaid.

The biggest lies are repeated endlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    However much you roll your eyes at me*, ....

....*No, you didn't name me, but yes I used the word spam, so you're addressing me all the same.
    No! Please don't assume that because I have posted immediately after you I am giving you special attention. Perhaps it was the word 'enlightened' that prompted you to assume I was talking about you!
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Raise your hand if you are infallible.

I'm not, my fellow members are not, and neither is Gazza.

"Simplification"? So a listing with an opening bid of 1 cent, a reserve, a BuyNow, and starts on the first bid is "simpler" then a listing with a BuyNow but will except a best offer?

In this currently economy not very many are putting up anything that grand for opening bid 1 cent with no reserve. It would be too much of a gamble. A best offer allows them to control what they get for the item.

There are a variety of sellers and styles & eBid should embrace everyone. The site has grown and to continue it'll have to evolve.

Weaverboy, I supported you when you started this thread, and I'm one of the people who voted for the option.

We're all aware that Mark and Gazza have a LOT of things to do, and they have to prioritize. It has been made clear by Gazza that this just isn't going to happen in the near future, if ever.

I think it's time you gracefully admitted defeat. Let this thread die. Try again in a year or two. All you'll do now is antagonize everybody who's sick to death of seeing this thread pop up every day. I'm one of them.

Thread Information