eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Die Cast Cars

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

The older ones, at least, should be in the main toy section (they were produced as toys). Modern productions, which are made mainly for adult collectors, are more correctly classified as models.

There was also a general 'collectable toys' section under Collectables up until the last update when I asked for it to be moved to Toys. I don't think anyone noticed because it only really affected me. I think Diecast should follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    The older ones, at least, should be in the main toy section (they were produced as toys). Modern productions, which are made mainly for adult collectors, are more correctly classified as models.
    Ah but by the same token some of the "older" ones produced as "toys" like the batmobil and the chitty chitty bang bang cars can fetch will into the £100's if in good condition... therefore I think it comes down to condition more than age

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    Ah but by the same token some of the "older" ones produced as "toys" like the batmobil and the chitty chitty bang bang cars can fetch will into the £100's if in good condition... therefore I think it comes down to condition more than age
    I don't understand the relevance of price or condition to classification. If you used either you would end up with similar items spread over multiple categories. Are you saying that e.g. a Batmobile in poor condition goes in 'Toys & Games', in good condition it goes in Collectables?

as there are two categories, then yes.... if it is in poor condition then it is not collectable, if it is in (very) good condition then it is, and when it comes to collecting (whatever the collecting topic is) condition is everything.

that was the whole point of KLJ's original post... there are two categories for "cars"... life/listing would be far more easier if there was only one.

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    as there are two categories, then yes.... if it is in poor condition then it is not collectable, if it is in (very) good condition then it is, and when it comes to collecting (whatever the collecting topic is) condition is everything.
    Er... no. Poor condition does not equal not collectable. There's a whole different market where the toys/models are sold for restoration. The prices are different but they're not, not collectable.

Do you like arguing for the sake of it!

They belong in Toys & Games!

They belong in Toys & Games!
    on that we agree but while there are two categories they will be split between the two... by which ever system the lister works by

Do you like arguing for the sake of it!
    not always.... but friendly discussion is a different matter

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am also of the opinion that these should be in TOYS & GAMES.

Whether they are collectible or not is irrelevent. they are toys, and people do collect toys. However, that doesn't mean it should be categorised purely as a collectible. The Batmobile is a prime example. It was made as a toy, and is still a toy - Granted it's a very expensive one, and probably not going to be given to a child to play with. But whether it is left on a shelf to display or driven around the carpet doesn't alter what it is.

The same could be said of board games. If a vintage game is bought still factory sealed as a collectible investment, never to be opened, it doesn't alter the fact that it is a game.

I collect records. Some are expensive, but I would not expect, nor want to have to differentiate whether I shoudl look in vinyl records or collectibles to find them - Same thing in my eyes!

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Thread Information