Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: How would YOU classify Rock'n'Roll?

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default How would YOU classify Rock'n'Roll?

Perhaps I'm just too anal about it, but having looked through the Rock'n'Roll section, and although there is a reaonable amount of rock'n'roll there, it is swamped by many more records which are certainly NOT.

To me, Rock'n'Roll should be:

1950's Rock'n'Roll - with some cross over into the 1960's rock'n'roll, although by this time it's a bit of a grey area, as it was branching out into pop / psych / soul etc- But for arguments sake, let's accept some 1960's.

Then 1970s - Certainly NOT rock'n'roll - Perhaps the bands springing up on the retro bandwagon should be included. Ditto for the 1980s and running up to date. so bands like Big Boy Bloater, Sugar Ray Ford, Dynamite Band, would fit into that category, but surely just 70's - 90's pop like Men at Work, J.Giels Band and so on ....Well that's just not rock'n'roll.

What do you think?

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
    Perhaps I'm just too anal about it, but having looked through the Rock'n'Roll section, and although there is a reaonable amount of rock'n'roll there, it is swamped by many more records which are certainly NOT.

To me, Rock'n'Roll should be:

1950's Rock'n'Roll - with some cross over into the 1960's rock'n'roll, although by this time it's a bit of a grey area, as it was branching out into pop / psych / soul etc- But for arguments sake, let's accept some 1960's.

Then 1970s - Certainly NOT rock'n'roll - Perhaps the bands springing up on the retro bandwagon should be included. Ditto for the 1980s and running up to date. so bands like Big Boy Bloater, Sugar Ray Ford, Dynamite Band, would fit into that category, but surely just 70's - 90's pop like Men at Work, J.Giels Band and so on ....Well that's just not rock'n'roll.

What do you think?

Well its still rock and roll to me! All of it.

R &R is very broad as a category. Think of it this way, in the 1940s the contemporary hot sounds were big band, swing, and by the 1950s this became R & R and Rhythm & Blues. Along the way (1960s, 1970s 1980s) it picked up some folk music, some country western, some British invasion, bubble gum, disco, heavy metal, Detroit sounds, and more. Yet it is still contemporary R & R. If it is not, what is it exactly?

What we hear today is still R & R that has taken a turn at bland (some of these girl singers are soooooooo similiar). Next week it may take a bluesy turn, have a more hard driving sound, but it still is R & R in a broad sense. If it isn't, what is it called? Has contemporary music moved to another category?

Personally I don't know much about genres, what I tend to do when listing my music is when I am price checking see which genre is being used the most

Thread Information