Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q:Cotton Thread

Default Q:Cotton Thread

Isn't cotton thread #8 supposed to be a bit thicker than #10?

Yes, but it might depend if they are different brands.

Check out our bargain craft supplies, including embroidery and cross-stitch

Forum Diehard
    View lilused's Feedback (+183)
    All-About lilused
    View lilused's Listings
    Forum Posts

#8 is usually very heavy and strong. Doesn't fit in my sewing machine, though. I use it fro buttons and such, anything I want to hold for a long time, and use an oversized hand sewing needle for it.

Thank you Treasured & lil,

I have here Mercerized 100% cotton thread #10 and Perle #8 cotton thread and yet the #10 is thicker. I can feel the difference.

That's why I asked.

With threads, the higher the number the thinner the thread I thiink. But cotton sewing thread and perle cotton are different. Perle was a much looser twist and can be separated into plys, not so cotton sewing thread.

Brands do matter. I love DMC for crochet/tatting/knitting because it is smooth, smooth, with an extremely tight, fine twist. Looks nothing like the kind you buy at the craft store and I can even spot it in doilies that are 75+ years old. Sheen is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    With threads, the higher the number the thinner the thread I thiink. But cotton sewing thread and perle cotton are different. Perle was a much looser twist and can be separated into plys, not so cotton sewing thread.

Brands do matter. I love DMC for crochet/tatting/knitting because it is smooth, smooth, with an extremely tight, fine twist. Looks nothing like the kind you buy at the craft store and I can even spot it in doilies that are 75+ years old. Sheen is wonderful.

Thank you Delta. I will look into DMC as I have heard that it is an excellent brand.
    And you are right. #20 cotton thread will be much thinner than #10 and with that I purchased #8 Perle thinking it would be slightly thicker than #10, which it isn't. It's still nice a nice thread though.

Watch for it at rummage/church sales. The DMC spools are not quite worth their weight in gold but are much sought after by crafters, even 75 year old ones!

DMC has limited colors but I have dyed it to match beads and takes the dye very well too.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Watch for it at rummage/church sales. The DMC spools are not quite worth their weight in gold but are much sought after by crafters, even 75 year old ones!

DMC has limited colors but I have dyed it to match beads and takes the dye very well too.

Well, nothing of this Earth is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you again.

Forum Newbie
    All-About tbklover
    View tbklover's Listings
    Forum Posts

We have a ton of that stuff sitting here from estate sale finds that we intend to use for dollhouse miniature rugs. Definitely different threads from different brands so thats why we need to see it.

On a thicker note; we found a great merceized cotton that we are using for crocheted bags from hand size to over the shoulder. Its the perfect weight to hold your junk and now we just need to find a sewer who can line it for us so we can sell them since they really need to be lined to hold your stuff.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would offer to do the sewing, but not really practical with the distance between us

Thread Information