Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-thrifting we will go...

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I love to buy pre-loved clothes.

I basically got fed up with seeing so many cheap imports in the high street stores and decided to buy clothes from charity stores instead.

This means that I don't contribute to the hiring of children in developing countries to make my clothes

I only buy pre-loved clothes on-line now as I rarely see the country of origin in listings of new items.

i have a 15 yr old and sometimes buy her used clothing but i have to lie and say someone gave it to me for her or she wont wear it. (either way ity is used...go figure)

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Since I make my own clothes I don't shop for used garments, but I do buy things for mom there. All her items have to be slit down the back as she is bedridden, and for a dollar or so a garment I don't feel like I am taking a liberty with the item.

One thing I notice consistently is that the older garments are better made than the new, even among the non-designer labels. You have to go back about 20 years or more but there is a reason those items manage to look good after so many years, even if they have been enjoyed for a lot of those years.
    I agree, I buy vintage linens and the further back you go the better the linens are. They are heavier, thicker, have more detail on decoration, etc. The introduction of polyester really was bad news for fabrics, clothes, and linens. It washes badly, you can't get stains out once set, it does not breathe, and the finish gets a scuffed or shabby appearance pretty quick. It is usualy scratchy too. In our charity shops everyone seems to skip the poly and buys the natural fibers, be it on blouses/shirts, or tableclothes.

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here's another person who buys used clothes. I'm just glad some people do buy them new, in retail stores, so I can glean them later.

I think i will attempt my first poll, regarding used clothes!

Forum Newbie
    Canyon Country, California, United States
    All-About vintagevampe
    View vintagevampe's Listings
    Forum Posts

for great vintage clothing check out my www.vintagevampe.com

Thread Information